MPE. A radical new concept !!

Chatting to a former RMP colleague last week, he speculated that he might have been on a POINTER team whilst we were serving in the same city, 30 years ago.

I can account for those on the pax on the first C130 in to Stanley, the tech Int Team came in from Main Building on the second orchard cab in. Kicking my heels and with a spare G Wagen to hand to show them what kit there was to find out about. Am pretty sure that the brand new Contraves AG Superfladermaus was something we knew about already.

The land based AM 39 Excocet? That had missed us all completely, had the Task Force tried to land in the Stanley area it would have been a different game.

Must press on, its a Friday night and I'm still doing PED when I should be raising a glass to those who did not come back and their families.
Falklands08.jpeg

I looked that up (we WIS types didn't have any problem with them in the Bogside) and saw this:

Clipboard01.jpg

It seems to be mounted to the airframe using bungees - albeit big, thick ones - of which I approve. There's too little innovative, imaginative engineering in today's Forces. That 'drones' thing was a fad.

I looked that up (we WIS types didn't have any problem with them in the Bogside) and saw this:

View attachment 562163

It seems to be mounted to the airframe using bungees - albeit big, thick ones - of which I approve. There's too little innovative, imaginative engineering in today's Forces. That 'drones' thing was a fad.

Ummmmmmm........, I note two things with some interest, that:

1. The aircraft has EXPERIMENTAL crayoned onto it. Bungees you say............, and

2. That the crew all seem to be wearing Guantanamo Bay outfits. Is this a bunch of suicide bombers who have rigged up a launch platform?

Last edited:

View attachment 562163

I can only imagine that when the missile is fired it accelerates ahead of the heli until maximum tautness is reached whereupon the heli is catapulted ahead of the missile.

Cunning.

TamH70

MIA
The cradle carrying the missile in question seems to be attached with bungees. Not the missile itself.

All it would require to work is for the WSO to drop it as per the usual practice.

View attachment 562163

Ratchet straps, not bungees

Rathet straps mean its fine, they count as structural repairs in the haulage industry and you could happily lift the Eiffel Tower using only one.
With that ratchet strapped to a a Puma just light the touchpaper and you's soon have the first supersonic helicopter.

TamH70

MIA
Ratchet straps, not bungees

Rathet straps mean its fine, they count as structural repairs in the haulage industry and you could happily lift the Eiffel Tower using only one.
With that ratchet strapped to a a Puma just light the touchpaper and you's soon have the first supersonic helicopter.

Airwolf Walt!

I remember my first walk-round of an AS332L Super Puma in Aberdeen. We were by the starboard cockpit door and the instructor pointed to a panel low down on the side and said “underneath that are the electronics for the missiles, don’t open it”

I must be going blind, I can only see aluminium tubes painted in Yak Shit holding the missile pylon on. It looks like speed tape in an S shape over some electrical cable.

RP.

I was impressed that they trusted Gazelle pilots with rocket pods. That must have been a fun lashup...

e_ZA77-_Falklands_1982.jpg

Latest Threads