MP3 weilding "terrorist" arrested

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dpcw, Feb 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. If you have done nothing wrong then you have nothing to fear.....

Clickty click

Armed police arrested a man listening to his MP3 player and took a sample of his DNA after a fellow commuter mistook the music player for a gun.

Darren Nixon had been waiting at a bus stop in Stoke-on-Trent on his way home from work when a woman saw him reach into his pocket and take out a black Phillips MP3 player. The woman thought it was a pistol and called 999.

Police tracked 28-year-old Nixon using CCTV, sending three cars to follow him. When he got off the bus, armed officers surrounded him. He was driven to a police station, kept in a cell and had his fingerprints, photograph and DNA taken.

He was freed when Staffordshire police realised it was a false alarm - but will now have his DNA stored on a national database for life with a record that he was arrested on suspicion of a firearms offence.

"It was unreal," he told the Metro newspaper. "I had a completely clean record before this, and have always been a law-abiding citizen."

Nixon, a mechanic, said that as he got off the bus and started to walk home on January 26, he saw a policeman gesture but could not hear what he said.

"I turned the music off and they were telling me to put my hands up in the air," he added.

"My heart was racing a mile a minute. One of them was hiding behind a car door, looking down his sights at me, and the other was shouting orders and pointing a gun at me.

"It was a pretty scary experience. I had no idea what was going on."

Nixon has received an apology from Staffordshire police.

"'We received a report from a member of the public who had seen a man appear to pull a hand gun from a jacket pocket, grip it with both hands and aim it," a Staffordshire police spokesman said.

"An operation was put in place and a man matching the description was detained."

He said the description was "extremely good", enabling officers to act quickly.

The Liberal Democrats, who are campaigning to have the DNA records of innocent people destroyed, said the national DNA database now held more than 3m records kept for life, an estimated 125,000 of which belong to people who were neither cautioned or charged.

"There is no reason that [Nixon] is on the government's database other than he was in the wrong place in the wrong time, and that could happen to all of us," Lynne Featherstone, the party's spokesperson for youth and equalities, said.

"The use of DNA is vital to modern policing, but not letting people remove their DNA when it is has been proved they have done absolutely nothing wrong would seem more at home in a fascist state than a free and fair society."
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Frankly, DNA capture is a good thing. They should do the whole country and everyone that arrives at the gates.

It just makes sense. It would protect all of us better.
  3. It is not the DNa I would be worried about if I were him. The police arrest record should, however, be removed.
  4. I couldn't disagree with you more-
    The greatest threat to us is from our own government's behaviour.
    I have no confidence that protecting us is at all their plan.
  5. Of course it would. :roll:

I mean it is not as if the police etal would rely on DNA evidence despite everything else being wrong.

Your DNA on file would never mean you getting charged for something that every single other bit of evidence says could not have been you.

6. How would haveing my DNA on file protect anybody from anything? Convicted crims yes, serial offenders yes, guys with MP3 players no.

More steps to a police state. It might seem ok now, but the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Why not go the whole hog and just tattoo a bar-code on you neck at birth.
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I been pulled three times and three times been mostly innocent.

I was particularly pleased that I didn't get charged with Conspiracy to commit armed robbery. As that would have been a right knacker on my CV. Still it was an interesting experience but a phone call asking me to pop in for a chat about one of my recently arrested section oppo's would have been nicer than a pull.

My question for any plods there, is are these details held on files for any length of time? Don't they 'expire' after three years? Or is that a caution?
  8. Theory is great but in a few years time when people start being refused insurance etc because their DNA says they are too big a risk......!!??
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

If everyone was DNA'd then there'd be arguably a lot less rape. And anyone involved in a physical altarcation would likely be covered in the other parties DNA too.

YOU want chavs off the streets AND your wife to be able to walk home safe at night? This is the solution.
  10. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Well that would be bad. But allowing scum to get away with crime because we're not using all our options is a bit stupid.
  11. It is a question of trust. Do you trust our Government? More relevantly, do you trust the unelected, unaccountable, European Government?
  12. It might make sense to those who would prefer to have us as willing slaves.

Why not abolish the right to maintain silence, the right to have a lawyer, the presumption of innocence and all the other annoying rights of free citizens. Life would be so much simpler.
  13. Seems my little story got lost in the noise.

So tell me again why having my DNA on file is a good thing?
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

You sound very american...

How does the govt records of your dna make you a slave?

how does collecting dna lead to the right to maintain silence [a wah right?] the right to have a lawyer, the presumption of innocence and all the other annoying rights of free citizens. Life would be so much simpler
  15. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Well Mr M is free now, so the system clearly works.