MP3 player

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 1_reeper, Oct 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi. My old faithful MP3 player has gone tits up and died. Can anybody recommend a decent replacement? Thought about using my IPhone 4 but the battery life is toss for normal use so using it as an MP3 player a no go. Gonna stretch to around £180 tops

2. I'm using a Sony Walkman NWZ-E344 player that I bought from WAL-MART (Made in China) that seems sturdy enough for my needs. I don't remember how much storage space it has on its HD but I haven't filled it up yet. It accepts mp3, WMA and AAC files so you can synch it to your iTunes account. It also plays WMV videos and stores picture files. And did I forget to mention that it has an FM tuner? I only paid $75 USD for it which is not bad. I've seen iPods with similar capabilities selling for a lot more.

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

Sony for the win. and Sennheiser earphones.

4. If they are still selling them, iPod classic, or mini/nano or shuffle? Depends how much music you want.
    After that, anything Sony, and yes seinhiesser (errr spelling?!) headphones, nothing even comes close to them (if you can get noise cancelling you'll never turn back.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

the sound quality of the cheapest sony or creative kit is infinitely better than anything Apple offer. and isnt drm hobbled so you can only put Apple-approved tracks on there you've bought from the Apple store with the express written permission of Lord Jobs himself. after you've grovelled in person to him for half an hour first.

6. Creative Zen 16GB (off Amazon) and Sennheiser headphones - job jobbed.

Apple i-whatever is overpriced crap IMHO.

7. I am currently running iTunes 10.0.1.22 on my pc running Windows 7 Pro. This is supposed to be the most current available iTunes version. I can synch my Sony Walkman and download tunes from my copy of iTunes to the Walkman but interestingly I've noticed only some tunes get transferred over and some do not due to digital rights management software problems. I believe this is because Apple changed the way they apply drm to thier content. Tunes I bought recently seem to transfer to the Walkman fine but tunes I bought earlier do not. I've found ways to get around that so I'm not fussed.

I have never owned an Apple iPod so I can't speak to how well it sounds, but I'm perfectly happy with the sound I get from my Sony Walkman. Knowing that I paid considerably less for my mp3 player compared to an Apple iPod is sweet too. I've never bought into the whole "Apple is better thing anyway because each device is hand-crafted by elves in Japan". It's just an excuse for Steve Jobs to charge a hefty premium for each unit and bone his fan-boys.

8. I wouldn't go as far as saying 'nothing comes close'. Whilst working on a foreign job last year, Shure gave me a pair of their best noise-isolating ear phones which are based on Shure's IEMs (In-ear Monitors) for professional musicians. Shure are the undoubted king of that profession. So I having tried both I'd say Sennheiser are definitely superb but no better than Shure.

9. Sounds about right. Apple removed DRM from iTunes over a period of between 2 years ago and 10 months ago.