MP wants Welsh text on ID cards

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Tango, Feb 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From here

It's bad enough they're planning to put French on the things. :roll:

2. Or they could keep them in The Principality,and not worry about it.

3. But the language hasn't got equal validity. Only a fraction of the total population speak welsh, in fact I'd go so far as saying that probably more speak Hindi, Pakistani or Chinese than speak Welsh.

Just another reason not to have a national ID card.

4. Why French? Am I missing something here? If Its got french on it they can fuck right off.

5. Hey why not include Urdu, Arabic, Gaelic, Portugese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese so we can all be happy :roll:

6. I think every known written and spoken language should be included, Fuck it I want my name in Hyroglyphics.

7. Can I ask for Dutch and Swahili too

8. I have met her, she is the Welsh National Idiot

You got to laugh realy by the time they finish the ID card is going to be bigger than this laptop

9. Just a total waste of money......... stupid cow!

10. Most Welsh don't even speak Welsh. Why does the country have to go the added expense just to keep a minority happy? It truly is a waste of tax-payers cash.

11. Why don't you have a look at your passport?

12. "Cymru" - Will that be enough to keep them happy ? :D

13. Because he can't understand it, as it is in French

14. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

The Welsh Language Act, makes it a legal responsibility for any public body in Wales to offer their services in the Welsh language, so if I want to build a refinery in Cardiff Bay and I want HM Revenue and Customs to provide me with a copy of Notice 179 (Motor and Heating: Oils Warehousing - Excise Duty and VAT) in Welsh they have to provide it (even though it's not been translated yet - don't tell the gobment).

So in this regard, as the ID Card will be provided through the auspices of a public body, Ms Griffiths is correct. A bi-lingual ID card will have to be made available to anyone in Wales who wants one.

As an aside, when I was a student in North Wales (UCNW 1986-89) my bank issued bi-lingual cheque books (still does - mot that they're much use any more) - my how the staff in the offy my parents used laughed when they saw "talu neu enwo"

15. If it provided in Welsh for those who want it, fine by me as long as the Welsh assembly pay for it. If I have to have one at some point, I don't want it getting clogged up with useless languages just because five people in the far north west of darkest wales want it on theirs.