MP wants Welsh text on ID cards

Tango

War Hero
Llanelli MP Nia Griffiths has called for the national identity card to include Welsh text.

New technologies provide many ways to make services bilingual, said the Labour MP on 3 February 2009, and using Welsh on identity cards would send a clear message that the language has equal validity with English.

A supporter of identity cards, Griffiths said that people for whom Welsh was their native or preferred language expected to see it on official documents. The government's plan is for the cards to contain only English and French, however.

In a Westminister Hall debate organised by the MP, she said that the Welsh Language Act, introduced by the Labour government in 1967, laid down the principle of the equal validity of English and Welsh in Wales.

"If someone wants to discuss their tax, they can ring up a Welsh helpline. If someone needs advice or help on issues raised by the Department for Work and Pensions, they can ring up a Welsh helpline," she said. "There has been tremendous progress not just in the written language, but in providing the opportunities for people to speak Welsh if they wish to."

The question for the government, according to Griffiths, is not how to fit three languages on the ID card, but how to design a card to fit three languages.

During the debate, Albert Owen, MP for Ynys Mon, said the issue reminded him of the "debacle" that surrounded the 2001 census, when the lack of Welsh caused an uproar. The situation will be rectified by the next census in 2011.

Home Office minister Meg Hillier said that although she supported the principle of having the Welsh language on identity cards, the government still has to determine exactly how that can be done.

"It is not as straightforward as it may seem," Hillier said. "But I can give a commitment that we will make a final decision well in advance of the high volume roll out of identity cards that will start in Wales, as in the rest of the United Kingdom, in 2011 or 2012."
From here

It's bad enough they're planning to put French on the things. :roll:

But the language hasn't got equal validity. Only a fraction of the total population speak welsh, in fact I'd go so far as saying that probably more speak Hindi, Pakistani or Chinese than speak Welsh.

Just another reason not to have a national ID card.

Hey why not include Urdu, Arabic, Gaelic, Portugese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese so we can all be happy :roll:

drain_sniffer said:
Hey why not include Urdu, Arabic, Gaelic, Portugese, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Mandarin Chinese so we can all be happy :roll:
I think every known written and spoken language should be included, Fuck it I want my name in Hyroglyphics.

I have met her, she is the Welsh National Idiot

You got to laugh realy by the time they finish the ID card is going to be bigger than this laptop

B

Biscuits_AB

Most Welsh don't even speak Welsh. Why does the country have to go the added expense just to keep a minority happy? It truly is a waste of tax-payers cash.

theiftaker said:
Why French? Am I missing something here? If Its got french on it they can fuck right off.
Why don't you have a look at your passport?

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
The Welsh Language Act, makes it a legal responsibility for any public body in Wales to offer their services in the Welsh language, so if I want to build a refinery in Cardiff Bay and I want HM Revenue and Customs to provide me with a copy of Notice 179 (Motor and Heating: Oils Warehousing - Excise Duty and VAT) in Welsh they have to provide it (even though it's not been translated yet - don't tell the gobment).

So in this regard, as the ID Card will be provided through the auspices of a public body, Ms Griffiths is correct. A bi-lingual ID card will have to be made available to anyone in Wales who wants one.

As an aside, when I was a student in North Wales (UCNW 1986-89) my bank issued bi-lingual cheque books (still does - mot that they're much use any more) - my how the staff in the offy my parents used laughed when they saw "talu neu enwo"

Mr_Fingerz said:
So in this regard, as the ID Card will be provided through the auspices of a public body, Ms Griffiths is correct. A bi-lingual ID card will have to be made available to anyone in Wales who wants one.
If it provided in Welsh for those who want it, fine by me as long as the Welsh assembly pay for it. If I have to have one at some point, I don't want it getting clogged up with useless languages just because five people in the far north west of darkest wales want it on theirs.

At this rate the National ID card will be mounted on a piece of 6x4 plywood.

I want futhark runes on mine please.

I DEMAND that the Mercian dialect is similary recognised on the ID card. It has just as much validity as English.

I feel an ID card roughly A0 size should be ample to fit English, Mercian and other moon languages on with space for a photograph.

At least it wouldnt be easily lost :)

How about the multi-lingual id card doubleing as a sandwich board? given sufficient thickness it coud also act as protection from stabbing and bullets.... quite handy as our country goes down the sh1tter.

Anyone fancy betting that our linguistical MP is coming up to a Bye election this year?

Biscuits_AB said:
Most Welsh don't even speak Welsh. Why does the country have to go the added expense just to keep a minority happy? It truly is a waste of tax-payers cash.
Fair point, perhaps one of our Canadian colleagues could answer this one, based on their experiences.

drain_sniffer said:
Yup, that just about covers my Tower Hamlets rate bill. No language spared to ensure that your bill is 'fully' explained. God luv 'em

The more lunatic demands for ID card content the better.
String it out long enough and argue about it until the point it never actually happens.
Would suit me quite nicely thankyou