MP for Rotherham now at it!

An MP claimed £17 on expenses for the cost of a Remembrance Day poppy wreath.

Sarah Champion, Labour MP for Rotherham, billed the taxpayer for the tribute as "office costs", describing it as "ness expenses to 11/11/14" in her submission. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) said MPs were not allowed to make such claims and was seeking repayment from Miss Champion.

So even Labour on the great gravy boat of expenses now, what would Ed say!!

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-31895703

Even Labour at it? You don't read much, do you?
You do realise the four MPs from the Commons who went to nick for fiddling were all Labour, don't you?

JAD

LE
An MP claimed £17 on expenses for the cost of a Remembrance Day poppy wreath.

Sarah Champion, Labour MP for Rotherham, billed the taxpayer for the tribute as "office costs", describing it as "ness expenses to 11/11/14" in her submission. The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) said MPs were not allowed to make such claims and was seeking repayment from Miss Champion.

So even Labour on the great gravy boat of expenses now, what would Ed say!!

More @ http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-31895703
At least she's only fiddling expenses and nothing else as per Rotherham's finest.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Suprised given what went on in Rotherham she even wore one.
Turning up dressed as a Jihadi bride would have been more appropriate.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think there's a pretty strong argument for saying that laying a poppy wreath is part of an MP's official duty. Doesn't seem unreasonable for them to claim for expenses in connection with official duties.

I doubt that many of the officers who lay wreaths up and down the land are paying for them out of their own pockets.

philc

LE
I think there's a pretty strong argument for saying that laying a poppy wreath is part of an MP's official duty. Doesn't seem unreasonable for them to claim for expenses in connection with official duties.

I doubt that many of the officers who lay wreaths up and down the land are paying for them out of their own pockets.
Disagree, it's personal choice to lay a wreath or not, she is not forced and it's not compulsory to attend. I am not aware of it being an official duty, if it was then it would be a legitimate expense.

philc

LE
With ukip tattoo'ed on my cock.
You know there is a joke in that post, bit like the lag with BT tattooed on his cock, "it's for you".

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer

Correct. No-one would expect the Queen, or the PM, or anyone 'official' to buy their own wreath. No-one laying a wreath at the Cenotaph in November pays for a wreath, unless it's laid for personal reasons (and that's not really encouraged).

Non-story. She is just doing what the Queen does.

Non-story. She is just doing what the Queen does.
She is repaying the money and the IPSA say she shouldn't have claimed on office expenses so I would suggest it isn't like the what the Queen does.

JAD

LE
My local MP, Michael Fabricant claims for absolutely everything on expenses; last year he was questioned about syrup worth about £1.99 from one of those discount stores!
MI-Michael-Fabricant.jpg

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Does he seriously wear that disaster of a wig and expect people not to laugh at him very, very loudly, and all day long?

Edit

Hold up, apparently he maintains its real! Does he use shears to trim it, and a rake to style the thing?

Although you might think they could be claimed for by MP's, the following quote from the BBC story shows that IPSA think differently.

"The Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority (IPSA) said MPs were not allowed to make such claims and was seeking repayment from Miss Champion."

I'm sure I read somewhere earlier today that it was claimed against office expenses??
She is not the first, and will not be the last, but the message is clear, MP's cannot claim for the expense of wreaths.
I do have some sympathy as I expect the claim was actually submitted by a memeber of staff.

Is Fabricant a Boris Walt?

Latest Threads