• Yes -in some cases, mostly falsely diagnosed

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• No -people are trying to milk the system for what it's worth

• Total voters
From the article

Do you have dyslexia? How have you been affected by the condition? Tell us your experiences using the form below.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

A hundred years or so ago my great grandfather didn't know anyone who had cancer, now they're everywhere. In the great war you were a coward, now you have PTSD, sorry guys your just not man enough theres nothing wrong with you (god how I wish that that no-one thought this anymore). Sweeping generalisations are stupid.

Dyslexia is a legitimate condition, with many varying levels. Yes some people may be diagnosed with the condition when they may simply be an idiot, but I have worked with people who suffer every day, and they would not be impressed with this muppet.

I am sure there are dyslexics around who deserve assistance, but their association claim there are 6 million in Britain. Clearly carp.

The politcian is going to get cruxified though because he has over-stated the case by claaiming it is a fiction.

Funny, if dyslexia doesn't exist, why do some people acquire dyslexia after a head injury?! By that explanation alone means there has always been dyslexia - even if it wasn't recognised -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acquired_dyslexia

Unless people think word recognition, ability to see letters, to remember words, put words together etc, is all reliant on magic, rather than a refined, intricate system called the brain, it's illogical to think dyslexia does not exist.

For chirst sake, a baby was born with a foot attached to its brain, surely take suggests all manifestations of nature are possible - including the area of the brain responsible for language comprehension not functioning as it should.

Personally, I think he should resign. No way should an elected MP be using his position to peddle arguments that are not based on reality.

It would be real enough if there were some gain in it for these corupt cnuts!
Fcukin useless bunch of barstrds!

Ay saffeh fram disleksia and woht? Big deel.

Bravo_Zulu said:
And according to tis government fat people aren't fat because they eat too much and exercise too little, it's in their genes :roll:
There is a genetic component to weight gain, but what has caused the explosion in obesity in Western Society is a higher standard of living resulting in cheap, plentiful refined rich foods and a sedentary lifestyle.

Just out of interest, How are Dyslexics identified and diagnosed, and Who does this?

I'm sure I've harped on about this before, when I was at a training establishment and we had mongs, sorry, recruits with any problems and they were tested by some special dyslixia testing person, they all came back with 'It isn't Pte fucknuts fault, it is his dyslexia'
Strange how a learning/reading/writing/numeracy 'difficulty' can make people violent, abusive, unable to use an iron, incapable of polishing boots, sleep in, go awol... etc etc.
The genuine cases of dyslexia are being diluted with all these utter mongs. Dyslexia in civi street can occur in intelligent people, how does it only become a problem for problem children in the forces? Could it possibly be that some people are just mentally sub normal, or 'thicker than a whale omelette' if you prefer?

There's also a condition (scam) which runs in parallel with this called "Dyspraxia" which means they're not only thick but also demand everyone's attention.

walt_of_the_walts said:
Bravo_Zulu said:
And according to tis government fat people aren't fat because they eat too much and exercise too little, it's in their genes :roll:
There is a genetic component to weight gain, but what has caused the explosion in obesity in Western Society is a higher standard of living resulting in cheap, plentiful refined rich foods and a sedentary lifestyle.

Just out of interest, How are Dyslexics identified and diagnosed, and Who does this?
In the case of a head injury or dementia (semantic dementia for example), it is diagnosed by a neurologist or neuropsychologist. I guess a psychiatrist can too (with anybody), if he/she can be bothered to do the testing - as it's certainly in the DSM-IV as langauge disorder.

In the other cases, it is normally done by an education psychologist or a clinical psychologist. All of these (including educational psychologists now) have been educated up to doctoral level & have between 6/7 - 12 years of university education.

Diagnosis is based on the test scores from three hours worth of psychometric testing - it's not just a case of low scores in all areas, it depends on a profile - weaknesses in some areas but not in others - not just overall thickness.

I've been assessed (it wasn't dsylexia, but an associated syndrome) & when asked what other people said my strengths are - scrambling for things to say, I said "my girlfriend said I'm intelligent" - the educational psychologist then replied - "I'll be the judge of that.".. Which I think sums up that it's not just given to people who are "thick" to account for it.

Dsylexia is a English ( and french) disease. caused by irregular phoneme structure, it is unheard of in countries such as China and Japan as they use symbols instead of words.

nark said:
There's also a condition (scam) which runs in parallel with this called "Dyspraxia" which means they're not only thick but also demand everyone's attention.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apraxia

A scam? You mean they have a problem with the planning or executing movement - it also happens after head injuries effecting the right side of the brain, front of the brain. Often found in the later stages of dementia. Where on earth did "demanding attention" come from?

Or did you mean they have a problem with attention, but you have dyspraxia and the words were written in the wrong order.

To be completely honest, I'd say some of the comments on here are sounding "thick".

They need to be careful when messing around with the way that people are taught to read. I was a victim of ITA - initial teaching alphabet - popular in the 60's. The idea was that kids could be taught to read faster by using phonetic substitutions for words combined with some special characters that weren't in the conventional alphabet; a bit like text speak but with strange new letters.

My school embraced this and all the books to be found there were written ITA. The problem was that my parents had already taught me to read, so I had to unlearn reading normal written english in order to read the rubbish they were peddling in school. At a later age, we we all taught to read "properly". Sadly for me however, I never quite made the jump back to real english and now think in a sort of english/ITA mix which means that I have to decode everything I read and write. Which is a colossal pain in the arrse.

Because of this I have a genuine sympathy for people that were born dyslexic. I've met a few and it IS a real condition.

The China and Japan thing is interesting because the Chinese have a written language that everyone understands, but is pronounced so differently when spoken that it is effectively two diffrent languages!

If 12 years in uniform were good for anything they left me a pretty sceptical kind of guy with a good nose for bullcrap, but .... My daughter is dyslexic despite being otherwise bright as a very bright thing and I am in no doubt it is a genuine condition arising from some funny stuff going on in the brain's wiring. You only have to watch how she gets some things wrong to realise that her ability to process lists, orient symbols and order them correctly has got some curious "blind spot" that we don't.

For those who care to learn the truth — which automatically excuses all MPs of course — there is a lot of research and plenty written about the condition now.

The fact that dyslexia barely occurs in some languages is a very good argument for existence: it is much more prevalent in "illogical" or inconsistent languages like English, much less so, or even absent in others like Italian, which are highly consistent and follow rules. It's possible for the same person to be dyslexic in English and not in Italian.

Anyone who is really interested — go do some surfing: it's a really interesting insight into how the brain works, and even if you don't know anyone with dyslexia, you'll learn to spot the signs.

PS Oh, and switching out of Polite Mode for a sec: Stringer is yet another ignorant fcuking gob-on-a-stick.

NogBad_the_Bad said:
They need to be careful when messing around with the way that people are taught to read. I was a victim of ITA - initial teaching alphabet - popular in the 60's. The idea was that kids could be taught to read faster by using phonetic substitutions for words combined with some special characters that weren't in the conventional alphabet; a bit like text speak but with strange new letters.

My school embraced this and all the books to be found there were written ITA. The problem was that my parents had already taught me to read, so I had to unlearn reading normal written english in order to read the rubbish they were peddling in school. At a later age, we we all taught to read "properly". Sadly for me however, I never quite made the jump back to real english and now think in a sort of english/ITA mix which means that I have to decode everything I read and write. Which is a colossal pain in the arrse.

Because of this I have a genuine sympathy for people that were born dyslexic. I've met a few and it IS a real condition.

The China and Japan thing is interesting because the Chinese have a written language that everyone understands, but is pronounced so differently when spoken that it is effectively two diffrent languages!
My brother, four and half years younger than me, was just young to get clobbered with that ITA crap, while I escaped with some "proper" teaching. Took him years to struggle out of the mess.