ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Moving up the ranks from Soldier or start as Officer?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by MajorJon, Jun 3, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. A bit of background: I'm 19 years old and currently sweating my arse off finishing off end of year assignments for a BTEC in Medical Science. I am in my first year... after pissing about in my AS Levels twice and failing ....and still ******* about now (stupid I know...but that's a student's life sadly!). I'm going to move into my second year hopefully next year and then shite off to uni!

I hope to study Electronic and Electrical Engineering but as my qualifications aren't 100% up to scratch for an engineering course , I will be lumbered doing a foundation year. So 4 - 5 years at uni that is!! This means by the time I graduate from uni , I should be 25 -26 years old! It has always been an ambition of mine to join the forces - hopefully as RMP or Int. Corps (I'm probably open to others but being a Special Constable in training as a civillian...something with the Policing/Intelligence track attracts) I hope to join the TA and UOTC fairly soon to get a bit of a taste of army life and what I want

From what I've heard... soldiers , be it in RMP or Int. corps get to do all the stuff while the officer just leads and passes on orders. I want to be a comissioned officer but I also want the experience of actually doing the job first! with all of this drivel behind us now I will just come out straight with the questions...

1) Is it possible to become a Soldier , then move on for a commision and go to Sandhurst to become an Officer? if so from what rank is this possible?

2) At 25-26 upon entry am I just too old for all of this? Should I just settle to become an Officer straight off as the Soldier/NCO- Commissioned route is so long ...

3) At what rank would I realistically manage to get up to , until my contract runs out or I am deemed too old and booted out...

Apologies if this sounds like a bone question... I'm not a wah...we have plenty of those on ps.com! ;)

2. 1. Yes, any.

2. No, up to you.

3. Depends on you.

3. If you join as a soldier just wait for the chance to save a generals life by shooting a French dragoon from his horse, you will then be made am officer, but not a gentleman.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  4. Arranging and attending an interview is best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.