Moving to the US

Depends on your skills...I earned more that 70k straight out of college...entry level. My first full time job.
Okay, tell me who you for worked for in Michigan and when and what your job was.

i Have nothing on the getting there bit, but as for choosing where to live I would suggest spending some time travelling. As said a huge country with very diverse scenery and conditions especially weather. Years ago I went to Yellowknife in the middle of summer. A nice place with land ownership opportunities and seemingly great off grid living, but my god what it must be like in winter.

i Have nothing on the getting there bit, but as for choosing where to live I would suggest spending some time travelling. As said a huge country with very diverse scenery and conditions especially weather. Years ago I went to Yellowknife in the middle of summer. A nice place with land ownership opportunities and seemingly great off grid living, but my god what it must be like in winter.
Isn't that in Canada's Northwest Territories province? I would imagine it gets pretty cold in winter up there. That would be a good place to live off the grid.

You have a weird obsession....anyways, I won't give too much away...but it was for this outfit.

No I have no obsession about you. You are giving nothing away by telling me your job title and when you worked there. I suspect the reason you are using the " I won't give too much away" excuse is because you're lying.

Again I reiterate that I don't believe you are an American or have ever gone to college, lived or worked in Michigan. You use words that certainly no American would use to describe things, you don't know well known popular places frequented by students in a city you said you attended college and your dates and place of birth/s don't add up as do a lot of the things you lay claim to.

In short I believe you are a liar though why you lie to the degree you do is anyone's guess.

So lets have the job title and dates you worked there. It'll be easy to verify your claim even without your real name.

Isn't that in Canada's Northwest Territories province? I would imagine it gets pretty cold in winter up there. That would be a good place to live off the grid.
It is in the NWT of Canada and my advice to the OP (or anyone) is spend a few weeks there (or anywhere northern) in February before making a home there. And first invest in a really good coat !!

StateEstimated Total Taxes PaidEstimated Tax as Proportion of Income
Montana$7,034.5014.54%
Delaware$9,208.6415.09%
West Virginia$6,837.1616.03%
Kentucky$7,536.6016.82%
South Carolina$7,903.5116.85%
Mississippi$7,086.4217.49%
Wyoming$10,484.9417.73%
Indiana$8,953.2917.75%
Idaho$8,761.0817.82%
New Mexico$8,261.3418.09%
North Carolina$8,739.2918.11%
Oklahoma$8,760.4518.24%
Oregon$9,742.4018.29%
Arkansas$7,858.0118.56%
Georgia$9,512.0618.64%
Missouri$9,280.3018.71%
Tennessee$8,746.8518.78%
Alabama$8,407.8518.79%
Hawaii$13,528.9218.80%
Louisiana$8,627.3618.90%
Iowa$10,558.0819.35%
Utah$12,172.7819.47%
Ohio$9,891.8519.52%
Alaska$14,640.2219.67%
South Dakota$10,402.4119.97%
Michigan$10,168.2720.02%
Arizona$10,278.8520.02%
Maine$10,190.4820.05%
Kansas$10,748.1920.06%
Florida$9,839.2120.12%
Colorado$12,711.5720.33%
North Dakota$12,034.3620.36%
Pennsylvania$11,199.8220.40%
Virginia$13,591.5420.55%
Minnesota$13,240.6120.94%
Nevada$11,135.0120.97%
Wisconsin$11,529.7021.11%
Maryland$16,096.7521.16%
District of Columbia$15,434.0121.16%
Nebraska$11,546.9721.23%
New Hampshire$14,891.9721.74%
Texas$12,392.3822.64%
Vermont$13,064.8423.29%
Massachusetts$16,598.0023.39%
Rhode Island$13,862.3823.74%
Connecticut$17,037.9023.74%
Washington$14,943.3223.78%
Illinois$14,100.6623.82%
California$15,642.8124.53%
New York$15,467.4625.46%
New Jersey$19,977.9127.11%

To the OP, you can judge for yourself. MI may not be the cheapest, but it's not the highest either....depends on what you want to do, work in etc. Jobs in MI are plentiful though.
$60k income in CA ? you would be begging for food to live.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
Can recommend this site. Very helpful in getting people through the immigration process for most popular countries

I was just about to say "see if anyone can get hold of Guns to give you some advice", and here he appears.

If you use an immigration consultant, try to ask around for recommendations. Some of them are just crooks and take your money while doing little real work on your behalf.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
I was just about to say "see if anyone can get hold of Guns to give you some advice", and here he appears.

If you use an immigration consultant, try to ask around for recommendations. Some of them are just crooks and take your money while doing little real work on your behalf.
For Canada the immigration site is really good, easy to follow and unless you have convictions or other complex cases you really can do it yourself with help from the website I posted

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada - Canada.ca

Oh and don't use a broker for the eTA, it is all online via the Government - Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) - Canada.ca

Funbaby

Old-Salt
I went J1 , H1B , Greencard , Citizen ; took 10 years and was a massive pain in the anus. Probably dropped about 20,000 in fees and lawyers.

Get job at a tech company would be my advise; although not much tech in the states the OP mentioned.

So get a tech job, make a pile of cash while working through the visa process, then buy your land in one of the states mentioned.

Last edited:
I'll add a few more suggestions. One is to get a list together of what formal qualifications you have. If what you have is skills but not bits of paper, look at what you can do to get those skills turned into some sort of formal qualifications.

In terms of the sort of lifestyle that you want to live in combination with the skills you have, if you are interested in Canada I would suggest eastern Ontario including the Ottawa Valley, Nova Scotia, or the southern interior of BC. You are going to want some place that has reasonable property prices for forested land in reasonable commuting distance of wherever it is that you will ply your trade.

In favour of Canada is that you will get citizenship much more quickly than most other alternatives. You may not care much about citizenship in your new home (wherever that is), but the problem is that without it you can be deported should you have an unforeseen run-in with the law, and you don't really want that.

Also health care in Canada is similar to the NHS, and that is something to keep in mind if you are self-employed and have a variable income and uncertain cash flow.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

No I have no obsession about you. You are giving nothing away by telling me your job title and when you worked there. I suspect the reason you are using the " I won't give too much away" excuse is because you're lying.

Again I reiterate that I don't believe you are an American or have ever gone to college, lived or worked in Michigan. You use words that certainly no American would use to describe things, you don't know well known popular places frequented by students in a city you said you attended college and your dates and place of birth/s don't add up as do a lot of the things you lay claim to.

In short I believe you are a liar though why you lie to the degree you do is anyone's guess.

So lets have the job title and dates you worked there. It'll be easy to verify your claim even without your real name.
F-off! Nothing to prove to you.

F-off! Nothing to prove to you.
That is exactly the response I thought you'd give and you didn't disappoint. You're a liar and a very poor one at that. I've met alcoholic tramps with more integrity and honesty than you'll ever have, at least they know what they are and don't pretend to be something they aren't.

Hello, I have been saving for quite a long time to buy some land in the UK, build a home with my own hands and enjoy the 2nd half of my life in peace, with no neighbours, off grid.

The trouble is that the UK simply does not have the space anymore, any vaguely suitable places are so bound up in red tape that they are off the table or unaffordable.

I've since been looking further afield, Sweden was on the cards for a while but Brexit has complicated this through uncertainty plus, having lived numerous country's that do not speak english before, I was to move to an english speaking country because it is just so much easier to fit in and make friends. I am also a very keen shooter and US gun laws are appealing to me as I could actually exercise my itch to join 2 gun events and actually shoot pistols.

What I am thinking about now is obtaining the necessary paperwork to legally reside in the US (green card), perhaps even go for citizenship eventually if it's worth it, buy a large'ish propety (100+ acres) with permission to build a nice home and eventually homestead it. I'll pay for this upfront in cash, no loans or mortgages, I dont have any debt and wont take on any new debt either, not for any reason. I'm not opposed to joining the National Guard or similar for a period of time to show willing.

Area's I am considering are Alaska, Montanna, Georgia, Ohio or Missouri but am fairly open to suggestions. The criteria are quite basic, Forest, low tax, lots of space, good gun laws, not too hot.

I realise that i'll probably have to seek gainful employment in order to qualify and pay taxes. I usually work self employed or through one of my ltd companies in the UK and Europe, hate the idea of working for others but I expect that this is where the problems arise in the US.

I did 10 years in the RE as an electrician, didn't actually do much sparks work in all that time to be honest but it's one of my trades none the less, I can fill hesco, dig holes, assemble bridges, blow things up, wash vehicles, stand about chatting, and drink heavily if required. I also got a bunch AT quals which are still valid. Since leaving though i've been working as a Solutions Architect designing and building technical solutions to telecommunications problems. This is a mix if IT, Networking, Storage, Databases, Scripting, Drawings, Data centre infrastructure management and all that stuff. It's a niche skill and I have a demonstrable career history working at the leading edge.

I'd prefer to do this on a self employed or through my own business, working as a contractor for US based companies. This I would do until I had enough money to sit back and retreat to my homestead to live out the rest of my days.

If they were to grant me the opportunity to reside there, what would I have to do in return?,get a job or can i start a business there? How does one....get a job....when you have no legal right to be there? It's a chicken and egg thing

I've read some of the other threads about this but none of them seem to match my slightly awkward wishes.

Where should the first point of enquiry be made and is there anything to say or not say to make it all go a lot more smoothly (mentioning anything to do with firearms would probably be a bad thing for example).

Cheers
I emigrated to Canada 12years ago and it basically works on a points system of education, skills, money, criminal record etc it’s not difficult to do on your own if you qualify

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Living Overseas 23
Speedy DIY 66
Fat Driver The Intelligence Cell 216

Latest Threads