Moving to the dark side... Apple to Android

Ok, i'm taking the plunge and moving from Apple. When I get back from my trip in July i'll be shifting to Windows 8 phone and laptop but before I go I am ridding myself of iPhone 4S + contract and my Macbook Pro. I'm condensing to a 7" tablet which I can use in WiFi areas.

Now the choice is Kindle Fire HD, or Nexus 7. I'm thinking Nexus 7, but my question to the android aficionados on here is this - if I have a 1TB hard drive full of stuff that I want to watch on the tablet, is there any way to connect the full size USB direct to either tablet or will I have to keep the laptop to move things backwards and forwards onto and off the tablet?

Any views on which tablet - of those two I don't want any other suggestions, and any info on the Hard Drive "issue"

Z

Zarathustra

My Tb HDD is too big and bulky (and now broken) to cart around and my small 500Gb Hdd doesn't have a separate power supply so it's not something I had the opportunity to try.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Got the nexus.... Very impressed

Z

Zarathustra

I've just made the move from iPhone back to Android (Samsung Galaxy S2) and whilst I had no major problems with the iPhone I'm glad I did.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
My Tb HDD is too big and bulky (and now broken) to cart around and my small 500Gb Hdd doesn't have a separate power supply so it's not something I had the opportunity to try.
if you use a y lead with two large usb plugs then you can stick one end into a usb 5v pains power supply then the other in the device. you would probably need a usb extension lead for the power supply end though as 6 inch wouldn't be enough, as the actress said to the bishop.