Moving to the dark side... Apple to Android

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by Yeoman_dai, Nov 25, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok, i'm taking the plunge and moving from Apple. When I get back from my trip in July i'll be shifting to Windows 8 phone and laptop but before I go I am ridding myself of iPhone 4S + contract and my Macbook Pro. I'm condensing to a 7" tablet which I can use in WiFi areas.

Now the choice is Kindle Fire HD, or Nexus 7. I'm thinking Nexus 7, but my question to the android aficionados on here is this - if I have a 1TB hard drive full of stuff that I want to watch on the tablet, is there any way to connect the full size USB direct to either tablet or will I have to keep the laptop to move things backwards and forwards onto and off the tablet?

Any views on which tablet - of those two I don't want any other suggestions, and any info on the Hard Drive "issue"

2. I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and was able to buy a USB adapter, it allows you to attach USB sticks but cant run an external HDD as the HDD draws too much power.

These are available for the Nexus 7 Amazon.co.uk: nexus 7 usb adapter

3. If you can attach external power to the hard drive it should work. Cant see a 1tB Sd card on the horizon for awhile though.

4. My Tb HDD is too big and bulky (and now broken) to cart around and my small 500Gb Hdd doesn't have a separate power supply so it's not something I had the opportunity to try.

5. Give you £20 for the MacBook Pro

6. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

7. Got the nexus.... Very impressed

8. I've just made the move from iPhone back to Android (Samsung Galaxy S2) and whilst I had no major problems with the iPhone I'm glad I did.

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

if you use a y lead with two large usb plugs then you can stick one end into a usb 5v pains power supply then the other in the device. you would probably need a usb extension lead for the power supply end though as 6 inch wouldn't be enough, as the actress said to the bishop.

• Like Like x 1