Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Moving to the Czech Republic. Advice Please.

Not much point anyway - the paper part of the licence was abolished a few years ago, and the photocard doesn’t have any place for endorsements.

I can’t remember ever being asked about points the last few times I hired a car in the UK/EU over the last few years.
That's because now they ask you to request them electronic access to your records, at least the large companies do!

Thanks for the comments so far.

There have been some developments and unfortunately not for the better.

My mate is still in the Czech Republic but has been waiting for his health insurance to come through to further cement his ties to where he now lives. However he has been experiencing some health issues over the last five months.

He’s been having some very severe stomach pains and because his Czech health insurance wasn’t yet in place, he’s returned to the UK on several occasions to see his GP in Oxfordshire. His GP has diagnosed a possible stomache ulcer and put him on medication which he has found to be ineffectual. He also did some blood tests which showed that he was a candidate for diabetes in the future.

Five months after his first visit to his UK GP, he was forced by the pain to visit a Czech hospital a few weeks ago and they carried out more thorough tests on him. Firstly they found that the diabetes was active and they placed him on insulin. Secondly and very worryingly, they found cancer markers in his blood which indicate he has cancer somewhere in his body. He’s returning to the Czech hospital for more tests next week which will hopefully shed some more definitive light on what’s going on.

I’m trying to find out where he stands on whether he has to pay for his treatment or whether there are any agreements in place between the two countries which would mean the treatment being carried out at nil cost to him like it would be if he was an NHS patient in the UK.

He has a European Health Card and I understand that the initial tests were carried out under the provisions of that card. Because this illness predates his Czech health insurance which still hasn’t come through, it looks like he will have to pay for the further tests being carried out next week. He thinks it will cost him around a couple of thousand pounds which he will pay for without any problems.

Depending on the results and the possibility of further treatment being required, does anybody know what the rules are for funding any further treatment. I’m under the impression that the European Health Card will only cover the intitial treatment already provided. Are there any agreements between the UK and the Czech Republic for bilateral health care for their citizens that anybody is aware of.

The bottom line is that if further treatment is required, he can return to the UK but he does have family in the Czech Republic and it would be a sad day if he had to leave them there and return for a prolonged period of time for treatment that would be prohibitively expensive if he had to pay for it in the Czech Republic.

Thanks in advance for any information that can be provided by the knowledgable on arrse.