Moving to Northern Ireland

he is more of a moderate than Poots
A good constituency MP, who has beaten up some idle local Council managers when they've displayed their idleness. Probably the man to reinvigorate the Unionist side in the face of the Orcs, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Allister and his TUV will grab a higher share of future votes.

A good constituency MP, who has beaten up some idle local Council managers when they've displayed their idleness. Probably the man to reinvigorate the Unionist side in the face of the Orcs, but I wouldn't be surprised if Jim Allister and his TUV will grab a higher share of future votes.
This

RRV8

GCM
The one thing that I have gleaned from all of my many property searches in NI is that the folk of Northern Ireland certainly have some style about them when it comes to interior and external house design.

The Scottish homes for the same price band look like some run down earthy derelicts by comparison.

All being well we should be travelling around NI by the end of next week.

RRV8

GCM
Hi Guys,

A quick update for you (and an info request from you too please).

The missus and I have been in NI for 10 nights so far and too date we've been bobbing-around the general area of Castlederg to Eniskillen to Dungannon to Armagh.

The people have been fantastic and the houses that we've viewed so far have been fairly nice, some great, some not, but bidding amongst punters is frantic and we've seen houses valued/advertised at £250K reach bids of £310K after just a day or two on the market.

That said, we've both been drawn to Enskillen so this is now our main focus for houses.

My Question: Does anyone have any current knowledge of the area South of Eniskillen, right down to the border at Garrison, Belcoo, Derrylin and Newtonbutler.

Otherwise, we're having a really good time of it and the people that we've met so far have been truly fantastic.

Best Regards to all,

R

Hi Guys,

A quick update for you (and an info request from you too please).

The missus and I have been in NI for 10 nights so far and too date we've been bobbing-around the general area of Castlederg to Eniskillen to Dungannon to Armagh.

The people have been fantastic and the houses that we've viewed so far have been fairly nice, some great, some not, but bidding amongst punters is frantic and we've seen houses valued/advertised at £250K reach bids of £310K after just a day or two on the market.

That said, we've both been drawn to Enskillen so this is now our main focus for houses.

My Question: Does anyone have any current knowledge of the area South of Eniskillen, right down to the border at Garrison, Belcoo, Derrylin and Newtonbutler.

Otherwise, we're having a really good time of it and the people that we've met so far have been truly fantastic.

Best Regards to all,

R
Never had my boots on the ground in that area, just involved in dropping off and picking up troops late 70s to mid 80s.

I think it was a bit dodgy a bit close to the border, but it was a long time ago.

RRV8

GCM
Never had my boots on the ground in that area, just involved in dropping off and picking up troops late 70s to mid 80s.

I think it was a bit dodgy a bit close to the border, but it was a long time ago.

Thanks mate, I appreciate the input. The missus and I have been travelling around the lower border and I've got to admit that we haven't experienced or seen anything unusual so far.

We've had chats with a whole load of people and the only message that I get (indirectly) is that they don't want to go back to the shit times of old and will do anything to avoid it.

I'm definitely onside in terms of moving down here. The weather is probably a bit iffy but no more so that where I come from in England, lol.

We've just past through Londonderry and had a cuppa by the river and we're over the border for the night with the sun beaming down - can it get any better :)

Thanks again,

All the best,

R

Yes. Stay the f**k away from it. For someone like you, it could still be dangerous.

Last edited:
Yes. Stay the f**k away from it. For someone like you, it could still be dangerous.
Only a couple of years ago they tried to hit an off duty peeler in Garrison, if I remember right.

D.R.'s are actively planning attacks on Police and service personnel, even those no longer serving.

RRV8

GCM
Here are a few of my perceptions of the NI housing market so far:

1. As one of you mentioned previously there are some proper wide-boy estate agents in NI so caution needs to be adopted at all times.

2. The market 'was' on fire but I'm getting the distinct impression that things are cooling off a bit. The market is still very buoyant but the number of purchasing enquiries is starting to reduce in areas.

3. The EA's may be earning good money for the timebeing but they are having to work for it.

4. We've dealt with five seperate EA's so far and in each case we've been told that the English are the main purchasers/enquiries for the available properties in NI. I'm not sure if this is just for our ears, being English ourselves, or whether it's true and the English are moving over.

5. We really like the way in which the NI EA guys communicate the various offer prices on the table at point of enquiry; i.e. unlike the 'sealed bid' Scottish system which is utter pants IMO. The NI systems gives you control without any surprises.

6. We've had six seperate house viewings so far and in each case we have received an 'intro spiel' plus a walkaround by the EA and then we were left to roam for 20 minutes. We found this to be very refreshing as there wasn't the usual pressures of having the EA constantly perched on our shoulder.

7. There are still lots of houses coming to the market but for some reason (unlike before) we are not seeing anything that takes our fancy.

8. Some of the houses may look fantastic on the outside but some have been thrown-up and it's obvious to us that we are viewing more and more new'ish homes with wonky first floors and dodgy fit-outs etc.

9. One thing we have noticed is that some owners have lived in their homes for many years and yet have never quite got around to finishing off their home interiors. This seems to be quite a common issue TBH and it's surprising what crap we've seen (on top of the good stuff) in recent days.

10. There seems to be a high number of farmers/investors/chancers trying to build large single homes on rural plots of land in NI. This is just my take on things but if the UK house market does happen to rebalance itself in the next few months then there'll be quite a few developers with expensive lemons to shift!

.......so is NI a place where we could call home from our experience so far:

Definitely!!

I'll bugger off now before I bore you all to death.

All the best,

R

Last edited:

RRV8

GCM
D.R.'s are actively planning attacks on Police and service personnel, even those no longer serving.

That's a very valid point sir.

I've been reading the various reports recently and it looks as if the period of mid-2019 to Q4 2020 showed a huge increase in DR activity; the PSNI bosses are certainly concerned by such an increase in activity/intent while the 'London folk' are trying to suppress any resurgence where possible.

It is a difficult situation to comprehend for someone like me who is now out of the system so the only thing I have going for me is my instincts and a bit of help from you lot.

That said, if the DR fellows want to target the likes of me then they must be scraping the bottom of the barrel, lol.

Joking aside it's certainly one to watch.

All the best,

R

There's a tendency over the years for people with a bit of land to build large bungalows made of rendered breeze block 'they look ok but are substandard and expensive to heat.
A massive scandal going on at the moment in the Donegal region of houses built within the last decade crumbling away due to substandard breeze block' new estates literally un saleable.it is being discovered that some of these materials have found their way over the border . So caveat emptor.(spl)?

RRV8

GCM
There's a tendency over the years for people with a bit of land to build large bungalows made of rendered breeze block 'they look ok but are substandard and expensive to heat.
A massive scandal going on at the moment in the Donegal region of houses built within the last decade crumbling away due to substandard breeze block' new estates literally un saleable.it is being discovered that some of these materials have found their way over the border . So caveat emptor.(spl)?

That's a very interesting point you make as it was only the other day when we viewed a largish bungalow (block and render) which was only 8 years old and it was already having a few issues with regards to its build quality and finish.

Some of the properties look amazing from the roadside but up close the quality is not that great.

Many thanks for the heads-up as I wasn't aware ;-)

irlsgt I have good friends in Mayo where I spend quite a lot of time fishing albeit not recently owing to all this covid bollix, they fortunately are not directy affected but I do genuinely feel sorry for householders in this position because it is a life ruining scenario, it was bad enough after the "tiger" when all the satellite villages took a price crash, this will be the straw thats breaks the camels back for some.

irlsgt I have good friends in Mayo where I spend quite a lot of time fishing albeit not recently owing to all this covid bollix, they fortunately are not directy affected but I do genuinely feel sorry for householders in this position because it is a life ruining scenario, it was bad enough after the "tiger" when all the satellite villages took a price crash, this will be the straw thats breaks the camels back for some.

the Mica issue isn’t new, it has effected buildings between 1984 and 2011 (but there only appears to be consequences for those built 1999-2008). It is estimated that up to 6,000 homes mainly in the NW are effected. It is currently estimated that 33% will need to be rebuilt.

I stayed in a beautiful house that was (currently not too badly) effected. About half the estate had been rectified.

it comes in the aftermath of similar issues with Pyrite mainly in the East of the country first discovered in 2007, the issue was mainly 1 quarry, which effected up to 60,000 homes.

I believe the reason for the Mica protests is the level of redress is much lower than Pyrite.

RRV8

GCM
the Mica issue isn’t new, it has effected buildings between 1984 and 2011 (but there only appears to be consequences for those built 1999-2008). It is estimated that up to 6,000 homes mainly in the NW are effected. It is currently estimated that 33% will need to be rebuilt.

I stayed in a beautiful house that was (currently not too badly) effected. About half the estate had been rectified.

it comes in the aftermath of similar issues with Pyrite mainly in the East of the country first discovered in 2007, the issue was mainly 1 quarry, which effected up to 60,000 homes.

I believe the reason for the Mica protests is the level of redress is much lower than Pyrite.

We've popped into Inishowen for two days and it is shocking to see how many houses have been affected by the MICA scandal. There's whole estates with issues and broken houses - some are in real tatters and on the verge of falling down.

There's also thousands (literally!) of cardboard posters and banners in house windows, shops, lamp posts etc which ask for a boycott of the Cassidys House builder.

I took two pics today but these houses are not the worst by far - there's some truly horrendous situations up here - it's very sad indeed!!

Screenshot_20210711-182934_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20210711-182905_Gallery.jpg

Latest Threads