Moving to Northern Ireland

"Thousands of euros" why are you talking in euros?
Probably for the same reason why I now have to think in the bloody things; orders from Amazon now get me responses that shipping to NI is not an option, sorry. I'm trying to buy a battery (25kg, but free shipping from England) but Brexit, and have had to switch to a supplier in Dublin (add on £34 for shipping). B'stards.

RRV8

GCM
Probably for the same reason why I now have to think in the bloody things; orders from Amazon now get me responses that shipping to NI is not an option, sorry. I'm trying to buy a battery (25kg, but free shipping from England) but Brexit, and have had to switch to a supplier in Dublin (add on £34 for shipping). B'stards.

@Whiskybreath I've heard this a few times in the last few days which is not good. I have just had to buy two new batteries for my Landy the other day and the cost would have been ridiculous if I was forced to purchase them via your system.

Thanks for the post-up. It's this type of info which becomes all too important when trying to establish a workable budget.

All the best,

R

Last edited:
That was a cut 'n' paste quote from the news article link.

The quote is from the Irish Times and they work in Euros, not GBP.

I'm a GBP bloke myself ;-)
I live in NI and have three vehicles and currently all dealings are through Swansea.
The ROI have always applied a dodgy tariff on it's people buying cars called VRT as ALL roi cars are imported and also apply swingeing road tax rates. For instance my elderly merc here in NI is £240 something or another and my mates identical car in the republic is €880 per annum.
We are well out of it.

RRV8

GCM
We've been doing a bit of planning so that we can travel shortly and it appears that we now have to jump through a few hoops to get an EU dog passport to travel to NI; i.e. we planned on taking the pooch with us.

I could be mistaken here but I'll be phoning the vets tomorrow to clarify both the standpoint and the process.

All the best,

R

JCC

LE
Before taking their dog, cat or ferret to the EU for the first time after 1 January 2021, pet owners must complete the following steps. The only new requirement for travel to the EU is the use of a certificate, rather than a pet passport:

• Ensure their dog, cat or ferret is microchipped.
  • Ensure that their dog, cat or ferret is vaccinated against rabies – pets must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated.
  • Wait 21 days after the primary vaccination before travel
  • Dogs must be treated against tapeworm 24-120 hours before landing, if they are travelling to a tapeworm free country.
  • Visit their vet to get an animal health certificate (AHC) for their pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU.

Pets and assistance dogs will also need to enter the EU through a travellers’ point of entry (TPE), which includes all the major French ports such as Calais, Caen and Dunkirk.

All of these requirements will also apply for movements of pets and assistance dogs from Great Britain to Northern Ireland.
We've been doing a bit of planning so that we can travel shortly and it appears that we now have to jump through a few hoops to get an EU dog passport to travel to NI; i.e. we planned on taking the pooch with us.

I could be mistaken here but I'll be phoning the vets tomorrow to clarify both the standpoint and the process.

All the best,

R

Can someone tell me .are we in the eu or out? If out why are we still being subjected to their rules.
Boris the useless fat tramp has laid down and sold us out.
"Taking back control" my arse.

I live in NI and have three vehicles and currently all dealings are through Swansea.
The ROI have always applied a dodgy tariff on it's people buying cars called VRT as ALL roi cars are imported and also apply swingeing road tax rates. For instance my elderly merc here in NI is £240 something or another and my mates identical car in the republic is €880 per annum.
We are well out of it.
just to add insult to injury, the EU ruled the VRT illegal but the Irish govt prefers to pay the fine the EU imposed rather than lose the revenue from it.
Apart from that, it might be no harm for anyone moving to NI to get an Irish postal address, if you have any contacts in the South so that you can order from Euroland without Amazon's bullshit.

Apart from that, it might be no harm for anyone moving to NI to get an Irish postal address, if you have any contacts in the South so that you can order from Euroland without Amazon's bullshit.

If it is coming from the EU into NI there shouldn’t be any bullshit

endure

GCM
Can someone tell me .are we in the eu or out? If out why are we still being subjected to their rules.
Boris the useless fat tramp has laid down and sold us out.
"Taking back control" my arse.
We're out but if you want to take your pet to the EU (or NI which I don't understand) you have to basically make sure they're healthy.

If you don't want to take your pet to the EU then the new rules aren't relevant.

"Before taking their dog, cat or ferret to the EU for the first time after 1 January 2021, pet owners must complete the following steps. The only new requirement for travel to the EU is the use of a certificate, rather than a pet passport:

• Ensure that their dog, cat or ferret is vaccinated against rabies – pets must be at least 12 weeks old before they can be vaccinated.
  • Dogs must be treated against tapeworm 24-120 hours before landing, if they are travelling to a tapeworm free country.
  • Visit their vet to get an animal health certificate (AHC) for their pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU."

We're out but if you want to take your pet to the EU (or NI which I don't understand) you have to basically make sure they're healthy.

If you don't want to take your pet to the EU then the new rules aren't relevant.

"Before taking their dog, cat or ferret to the EU for the first time after 1 January 2021, pet owners must complete the following steps. The only new requirement for travel to the EU is the use of a certificate, rather than a pet passport:

• Visit their vet to get an animal health certificate (AHC) for their pet, no more than 10 days before travel to the EU."
Yes I know, what I was questioning was why an internal move (GB Ni =UK )should be subject to eu rules?

Be cheaper to turn the pooch into sausages and import it that way. Oh wait....

Perhaps because the dogs are being moved from one land mass to another?
Why now ?
The two land masses were always there,and dogs were always allowed back and fro. Why I even used to take my dog out of dun loarighe? Spl. With no issue.

Yes I know, what I was questioning was why an internal move (GB Ni =UK )should be subject to eu rules?
Because we are still in the EU customs market in NI and the UK mainland is a 3rd country to us now, in EU law.

I don't think this is going to end well. The leader of the DUP has just resigned maybe been forced to, after twenty days.
I may have got it wrong but in the words of the song "there may be trouble ahead".

I don't think this is going to end well. The leader of the DUP has just resigned maybe been forced to, after twenty days.
I may have got it wrong but in the words of the song "there may be trouble ahead".
It's Norn Iron.. of course there'll be trouble ahead.. the 12th is only 6 weeks away :)

Sure, no worries. Wee Jeffrey will step in to square things away

download.jpeg

Latest Threads