Moving to Northern Ireland

Will give them all a look, got a week over there end of august, my mother’s side of the family is fairly typical, split down the middle, her father was in the RUC, her mother was a catholic, so you can imagine the fun and games.
There was a fair few catholics in the RUC. 20% at one point I think.

RRV8

GCM
Hi Team,

A quick apology to you all for not updating this thread sooner but life has just caught up with me, lol.

Our update:

The missus and I submitted a full asking price offer on a house near Eniskillen (mid-August) but within 24hrs we had been outbid four times and by a hefty chunk too.

At this point of proceedings we decided that it would be silly to keep chasing the house market so we decided to put the whole 'house hunting thing' on ice for a while and, in all honesty, I'm chuffed that we did. It would have been so easy for us to get caught up in the many bidding wars and overpay so I feel quite sensible for a change!

That being said, we still keep a very close eye on the politics; the economy and the house market as we both still have the intention to move to NI at some stage soon(ish).

However, what I have noticed from my daily research of PropertyPal and the house market reports for NI is that:

1. A good number of previously sold houses have now come back to the market.

2. A considerable number of folk have removed their houses from the market.

3. The 'Hungry Hippos' approach to bidding on houses had definitely died a death albeit the good quality houses are still in demand.

4. The market seems to have slowed massively albeit the estate agents continue to lick their own lollipop by stating that the market has never been better. I beg to differ; it's OK but it's not that good.

5. The availability of good quality housing stock is much reduced and this is as much of a problem for a seller wishing to relocate as it is for any buyer.

6. A perfect storm of inflation, mortgage rates, BoE base rates, material costs and the many other social and economic issues are having a big impact on parts of the market - or at least that's my take on things.

I would be really interested to hear what you guys think in respect of my points above.

I'm sure we'll get there soon enough but I now reckon that it's more a case of "Good things happen to those who wait".......

.........or at least that's what I'm hoping for, lol.

Regards to all,

R

RRV8

GCM
We’re going over to hunt this December with a somewhat compressed timeline to buy ie about 8 days.

Keep us all posted. It's not a long time but I assume you've already got a cunning plan up your sleeve to manage it in 8-days.

Anyway, good luck mate,

Hi Team,

A quick apology to you all for not updating this thread sooner but life has just caught up with me, lol.

Our update:

The missus and I submitted a full asking price offer on a house near Eniskillen (mid-August) but within 24hrs we had been outbid four times and by a hefty chunk too.

At this point of proceedings we decided that it would be silly to keep chasing the house market so we decided to put the whole 'house hunting thing' on ice for a while and, in all honesty, I'm chuffed that we did. It would have been so easy for us to get caught up in the many bidding wars and overpay so I feel quite sensible for a change!

That being said, we still keep a very close eye on the politics; the economy and the house market as we both still have the intention to move to NI at some stage soon(ish).

However, what I have noticed from my daily research of PropertyPal and the house market reports for NI is that:

1. A good number of previously sold houses have now come back to the market.

2. A considerable number of folk have removed their houses from the market.

3. The 'Hungry Hippos' approach to bidding on houses had definitely died a death albeit the good quality houses are still in demand.

4. The market seems to have slowed massively albeit the estate agents continue to lick their own lollipop by stating that the market has never been better. I beg to differ; it's OK but it's not that good.

5. The availability of good quality housing stock is much reduced and this is as much of a problem for a seller wishing to relocate as it is for any buyer.

6. A perfect storm of inflation, mortgage rates, BoE base rates, material costs and the many other social and economic issues are having a big impact on parts of the market - or at least that's my take on things.

I would be really interested to hear what you guys think in respect of my points above.

I'm sure we'll get there soon enough but I now reckon that it's more a case of "Good things happen to those who wait".......

.........or at least that's what I'm hoping for, lol.

Regards to all,

R

Take a rest, and come back in the early spring.

The estate agents that you have formed a decent rapport with, get them to tip you off when something decent is coming on the market.

PS. I know of a couple (Essex and Welsh – met working in the Bahamas) who have relocated to an old farmhouse near Bushmills. Only previous connection was visiting friends in North Antrim!

RRV8

GCM
Take a rest, and come back in the early spring.

The estate agents that you have formed a decent rapport with, get them to tip you off when something decent is coming on the market.

PS. I know of a couple (Essex and Welsh – met working in the Bahamas) who have relocated to an old farmhouse near Bushmills. Only previous connection was visiting friends in North Antrim!

Yes, I think you've got something there about taking a rest.

The market seems to be very slow at the moment and there's not much new stuff in our desired area to look at.

Might pop over for a short holiday without any viewings etc.

All the best,

R

RRV8

GCM
We've decided to revisit NI next year instead of going again this year. There's nowt on the market but I reckon next year will be a struggle to get a decent house.

Latest Threads