Moving to Northern Ireland

Hi Guys,

A quick update for you (and an info request from you too please).

The missus and I have been in NI for 10 nights so far and too date we've been bobbing-around the general area of Castlederg to Eniskillen to Dungannon to Armagh.

The people have been fantastic and the houses that we've viewed so far have been fairly nice, some great, some not, but bidding amongst punters is frantic and we've seen houses valued/advertised at £250K reach bids of £310K after just a day or two on the market.

That said, we've both been drawn to Enskillen so this is now our main focus for houses.

My Question: Does anyone have any current knowledge of the area South of Eniskillen, right down to the border at Garrison, Belcoo, Derrylin and Newtonbutler.

Otherwise, we're having a really good time of it and the people that we've met so far have been truly fantastic.

Best Regards to all,

R

I‘d be careful about that area south of Enniskillen.

There are a couple of people in the general area I can put you in touch with who would give solid advice (one being landed, and ex-special forces; another a veteran solicitor in Enniskillen) – I certainly wouldn’t buy there without bouncing it off someone like them.
Think Enniskillen itself is terrific.
Dungannon and Armagh city would be other good options, but without the glories of Lough Erne !

RRV8

GCM
I‘d be careful about that area south of Enniskillen.

There are a couple of people in the general area I can put you in touch with who would give solid advice (one being landed, and ex-special forces; another a veteran solicitor in Enniskillen) – I certainly wouldn’t buy there without bouncing it off someone like them.
Think Enniskillen itself is terrific.
Dungannon and Armagh city would be other good options, but without the glories of Lough Erne !

Thanks good-mate and sorry for my slow response - I've not been on the forum and my internet acc didn't ping-up your message; again, my apologies.

We have just travelled back from Larne today and are sitting in Dumfries ready for our journey home tomorrow.

All in all we've spent 31-days in NI and every day has been tip-top albeit our own personal dealings with some of the estate agents has been shabby at best - they're a right bunch of slippery eels and caution needs to be taken at every step of the process.

The missus and I have debated at length about the various bits of NI and we reckon the Eniskillen area is the one for us in terms of the water, views, outward bound activities, etc, but there is a big BUT......

......and that But relates to the border areas as alluded by you in your post. I've made a few inroads here and there and I have a few areas which would not be sensible to live at this moment in time.....which is very sad as we could buy a mighty fine house for not much dosh; or at least not much when compared to our current location in England.

I'll get this next 24-36hrs out of the way and then I'll post-up a few of more findings.

Thanks for the note and all of the info - much appreciated.

All the best,

R

Thanks good-mate and sorry for my slow response - I've not been on the forum and my internet acc didn't ping-up your message; again, my apologies.

We have just travelled back from Larne today and are sitting in Dumfries ready for our journey home tomorrow.

All in all we've spent 31-days in NI and every day has been tip-top albeit our own personal dealings with some of the estate agents has been shabby at best - they're a right bunch of slippery eels and caution needs to be taken at every step of the process.

The missus and I have debated at length about the various bits of NI and we reckon the Eniskillen area is the one for us in terms of the water, views, outward bound activities, etc, but there is a big BUT......

......and that But relates to the border areas as alluded by you in your post. I've made a few inroads here and there and I have a few areas which would not be sensible to live at this moment in time.....which is very sad as we could buy a mighty fine house for not much dosh; or at least not much when compared to our current location in England.

I'll get this next 24-36hrs out of the way and then I'll post-up a few of more findings.

Thanks for the note and all of the info - much appreciated.

All the best,

R
Where else did you look?

For what it’s worth I’ve just spent a week or so in the area of England I grew up in.

Was very fond of the area but now can’t wait to get back to Belfast.

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’m looking to relocate to the north west coast of Northern Ireland next year, any recommendations from those who live there,

I’m looking to relocate to the north west coast of Northern Ireland next year, any recommendations from those who live there,

My cousin and her husband moved from Sheffield to Portstewart, which is north-west and on the coast. They are very happy. Cuz's husband is a Yorkshireman, and he's never going back to Sheffield he says.

Retiring, I have 400,000 for a property, just needs a garden for my labs,
Start between Castlerock and Ballintoy. The further back from the sea you are the more you'll be able to afford.
If you think you'll be travelling to Belfast/Derry a lot look at Castlerock, Coleraine and Portrush all have stations.

ETA If your not particularly attached to being close by the sea Ballymoney might be worth a look.

Last edited:
I recall that he mentioned that his mum is originally from Stroke City.
Magilligan/Benone might be worth a look then if there is still family. Bellarena halt is next along from Castlerock. Similar caveats to being south of the the Erne for an ex-serviceman though, pale green but not contested so little history of bother.

Last edited:

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
Magilligan/Benone might be worth a look then if there is still family. Bellarena halt is next along from Castlerock. Similar caveats to being south of the the Erne for an ex-serviceman though, pale green but not contested so little history of bother.
Will give them all a look, got a week over there end of august, my mother’s side of the family is fairly typical, split down the middle, her father was in the RUC, her mother was a catholic, so you can imagine the fun and games.

Latest Threads