Moving to Northern Ireland

RRV8

GCM
Team,

I'm after some first-hand advice please about the whole 'moving to NI' topic in my capacity as an ex army chappy.

Besides Google and a number of NI news bulletins, which I access daily, I'm really not 100% sure that I fully understand the current security situation, or implications, for ex squaddies living over the water.

From using the PropertyPal.com platform it seems that house prices in NI are very similiar to those in the NE of England inasmuch as you'll get a fine house for reasonable money; the downside being that the cheaper properties are out in the sticks and it's these places that the missus and I favour, i.e. closer to nature but not so close to people.

The sad thing is that I've lost touch with so many good blokes who live there (a typical military scenerio eh!), so any advice would be much appreciated including places to avoid, places to propser, quirky financial rules, politics etc.

I appreciate the fact that it's a big topic but you guys will soon have it cracked ;-)

Thanks in advance,

R

Depends on which area you are looking to settle in, as ex squaddie I wouldn’t recommend areas of south Armagh, L,Derry , Belfast , Tyrone and Co Down

Besides Google and a number of NI news bulletins, which I access daily, I'm really not 100% sure that I fully understand the current security situation, or implications, for ex squaddies living over the water.

Is it safe to visit Somalia?

Do not travel to Somalia due to COVID-19, crime, terrorism, civil unrest, health issues, kidnapping, and piracy. Read the Department of State's COVID-19 page before you plan any international travel. ... Violent crime, such as kidnapping and murder, is common throughout Somalia, including Puntland and Somaliland.

so like NI but with sun shine....

Rural County Down probably the best in terms of quality of life and access to higher order economic centres such as Lisburn/Belfast. North coastal area as far as rural Derry is also good for the same reasons.

I would avoid Belfast, still far too segregated, and Antrim for the same reason. Tyrone and Fermanagh also good but I would think little potential for social interaction. But, if people are not your thing - hey, more choice.

I live in rural Co Down, where the population, such as it is, is fairly mixed but more Presbyterian than Muslim, and I play in the area around Ardglass, which is nationalist in flavour, but my accent doesn't bring trouble in the pubs (there are quite a few English accents around, which was a surprise when I first went down there). I've had no problems in the quarter century of householding hereabouts, including Bangor, and my accent, unfortunately, becomes more English with every nip of whisky in company.

Ones' CV in the Military Army is, of course, Not A Subject For Discussion, which would be a shame for anyone wanting to revel in their brave, gloriously bloody history down the King's Arms in Colchester or Hitchin. I'm a former mining safety manager, to anyone wanting to know ('security' is a bit fraught with issues). No Waitrose, M&S shelves a bit bare in places, and Brexit issues notwithstanding, it's not bad, but I'd have gone to Florida if not for wife.

I live in rural Co Down, where the population, such as it is, is fairly mixed but more Presbyterian than Muslim, and I play in the area around Ardglass, which is nationalist in flavour, but my accent doesn't bring trouble in the pubs (there are quite a few English accents around, which was a surprise when I first went down there). I've had no problems in the quarter century of householding hereabouts, including Bangor, and my accent, unfortunately, becomes more English with every nip of whisky in company.

Ones' CV in the Military Army is, of course, Not A Subject For Discussion, which would be a shame for anyone wanting to revel in their brave, gloriously bloody history down the King's Arms in Colchester or Hitchin. I'm a former mining safety manager, to anyone wanting to know ('security' is a bit fraught with issues). No Waitrose, M&S shelves a bit bare in places, and Brexit issues notwithstanding, it's not bad, but I'd have gone to Florida if not for wife.
Must be some woman. :)

964ST

LE
Team,

I'm after some first-hand advice please about the whole 'moving to NI' topic in my capacity as an ex army chappy.

From using the PropertyPal.com platform it seems that house prices in NI are very similiar to those in the NE of England inasmuch as you'll get a fine house for reasonable money; the downside being that the cheaper properties are out in the sticks and it's these places that the missus and I favour, i.e. closer to nature but not so close to people.

The sad thing is that I've lost touch with so many good blokes who live there (a typical military scenerio eh!), so any advice would be much appreciated including places to avoid, places to propser, quirky financial rules, politics etc.

I appreciate the fact that it's a big topic but you guys will soon have it cracked ;-)

Thanks in advance,

R
Are you wanting to relocate for Personal reasons ie. Your missus is from that area?, or because of employment opportunity? or to escape the “Rat Run” and live remote in the country? And have you ever served in NI in your Mil carreer?

If it is just cheap remoteness with No shortage of rain, and communities full of people who are fully balanced! (Chips on Both Shoulders!) the there is always West Scotland?

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Why? Why? Why? Born and bred and really the weather sucks, flights to anywhere cost more, the ferry is over the most expensive stretch of water anywhere and if you don't have family in the Province why in God's name would you want to move to Norn Iron. Spain is warm, France is cheap, Germany is civilised, Scotland is less sectarian.....

Latest Threads