Moving to London

Discussion in 'The Other Half' started by laidbackfem, Oct 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We have just learned we are posted to Blackheath. It seems we have a little choice when it comes to our married accomodation. Since we haven't been anywhere near london in a long while, can anyone advise on the quality of the quarters/areas in Woolwich, Wimbledon, or Reagent's Park? It seems we don't have much chance on Reagent's Park. There seems to be plenty of room in Woolwich. We are posted in Feb and we have one 3 yr old. Some insites to the area would be most appreciated. Thanks

2. I was born and brought up in Woolwich and my parents still live in the area.

The area isn't great anymore,to be honest..a ton of immigrants have chosen Woolwich as home, but i am not sure if life for the army and their families there is any better..i have no first-hand experience of military life (apart from being born in the army hospital!)

I know this message isn't much help, but you are welcome to ask any questions with regards to the area and i will try to answer them for you.

3. Blackheath's a lovely area though. I play rugby for them, and it's a good night out. Woolwich has turned into a bit of a hole unfortunately.

Edited for my bad grammar!

4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Wimbledon to Blackheath would be a hideous journey, by road or public transport. Regent's park would be a little better. Make sure you try the journeys before you commit if you can - 2 years of commuting hell across London is a long time.

For my money, I would go for the quarter in Woolwich, and enjoy Blackheath. Civvies pay a fortune to live there!

5. My only experience of Woolwich was whilst preparing for a dinner night I decided to have my hair put up and proceeded to the local town. Whilst waiting for a lift back to camp a fight broke over the road in the market and the hairdressers dragged me back in and locked the door. This apparantly was perfectly normal behaviour. Not in a million years would I want to live there

6. I agree with the Duke. Blackheath's lovely, I used to live there.

Wimbledon to Blackheath is commutable, but it'll take about 80 mins(ish).

If you stay local to Blackheath you won't be that far from Greenwich, which is a good night out on the pop too. Good bars, food etc.

Edited

7. Woolwich is no longer part of England and is dangerous to boot. Blackheath is a middle class British enclave with a good village high street, station, common and some decent pubs but it is hemmed in by Lewisham, Kidbrooke and Deptford.

London is by and large no longer a British city and although it has pleasent areas it is not a place I would ever want to live in again. Good for a visit though.

I would avoid Woolwich at all costs.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

If you are offered Wimbledon, it is a good place to live - posh bit in the village, reasonable sized town centre (good variety of bars, restaurants etc) and the common for a bit of green space and Womble hunting.

But....

The commute to Blackheath would take for ever at peak times, and you would end up leaving very early to get to work on time, and leaving work either early or late to avoid the jam on the return journey.

9. Wimbledon's about 20 mins from my place by train. It's not a bad area, good bars etc.

You can also pop round and see me for a beer, I know this lovely little Hungarian Au pair that we can share if you like :)

10. Laidbackfem,

If you are looking for an Officer’s quarter, then Biggin Hill is an option. The commute is a chore; it used to take me 35-40 mins to drive from the patch to Woolwich leaving at 0630, the return journey takes longer, up to an hour leaving at 1800. I think Blackheath would take a bit longer.

Biggin Hill patch is in a rural location and the patch backs on to woodland and fields. Biggin Hill itself is full of chavs, but it is 2 miles away from the patch which is very quite. The main street is ok for basic needs; 2 x supermarkets (Waitrose and M&S), couple of takeaway restaurants, petrol station, cheap backstreet garage, etc. The West End is about an hour away (bus to Bromely and train to Victoria). One health warning is that a new development has been built on the old airmen’s patch, some 280 new homes, the interconnecting road will be opened up and this may affect the dynamic and traffic on the patch. PM me if you need more details. If you want to look it up on Google Earth, the postcode for the patch is TN16 3ER.

I would concur with the comments on Woolwich and would avoid it if you can. It is joked that Belmarsh prison was built there because the inmates would be to scared to think about breaking out, for fear of getting stabbed or shot by the ‘local’ Somalian gangs. Another notable local tourist attraction is the bus shelter 100m from the quarters patch where Steve Lawrence was murdered.

11. Shhhhhhhhh.........someone will start another RIP thread :p

12. too late! RIP (Insert sh1t poetry here)

13. Wimbledon to Blackheath is by SnailRail (a very good service really) from:

Wimbledon to Waterloo (train every three minutes in rush hours)
    Waterloo to Waterloo East by foot three minutes
    Waterloo East to Blackheath or whichever station is nearest to the posting.

Timed right and everything working station to station about 26 minutes. Don't know about cost though.

Wimbledon ok. So is Wimbledon Park and Southfields and Putney.
    Good luck.

14. Say 5 mins walk, due to weight of traffic, fukwits with briefcases, lost foreign exchange students, people pulling those stupid laptop wheely things.

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not quite!

http://ojp2.nationalrail.co.uk/en/pj/tt

To arrive at 7.20 for an 8am start is 58mins, plus travelling time to the station at each end, and assuming no delays. At other times it is up to 1 hr 17 minutes. Smudge67s estimate of 80 minutes would be a minimum, including time to and from the station.

Possible, but a real ballache.