Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving to France

It must be a mind-numbing decision to do you and others have done...Really pleased it worked out for you allll..............I would have taken the plunge and opted for the Maildives or Cyprus..........but family commitments voted against a move.........
The UK is not too brilliant for some, but now I am used to what I have, and would never fault anyone for choosing overseas..
Much success, bonsoir mon ami, Howard.

Merci

That's a very nice post for anyone to read that has taken the plunge and moved countries.

Oh it was tough to start with, really hard but with no esacpe route back we had no choice but to stick it out. Biggest thing is was family not understanding it and breaking through with the language of course. The Frenchies are generally bemused by the British fascination with their old houses in the countryside. They are also pretty harsh when it comes to their language. They think nothing of laughing point blank in your face if you say something wrong or back to front, they love it and are genarally a piss taking bunch of people lol.

It's ok face to face with someone live as you can use hand signals, drawing in the sand and that scene from 'Dances With Wolves' came in very hand at times. But once it switches to the phone then it really brings you down to earth with a bump very quickly.

But to anyone considering a move here, take it from me...you can learn it, it's not rocket science after all. I was 28th out of 30 pupils in French at school, useless at it no interest at all. But now, even though it's taken a couple of decades, ( I was Infantry, not Int. Corps) I can hold my own even with cock-sure delivery drivers who can't find the house and then when they get out of the van because I have had to go find them tell me right away before 'thank you' that oooh you have an accent' lol. I just tell them now I'm French but spent so much time in England I picked up an accent.

I never thought there was much wrong with the UK and anyone thinking France is better is mistaken, it's just different, both sides of the channel have good and bad points to them.

A quickie - if your local Gendarme has the surname "Plonquer" do not under any circumstance laugh loudly when being introduced to him.

We got one called Gendarme Anus and he does not like any kind of chortling about it and he's a big dude so it's not advisable rolling around on the floor holding your belly as you scream with laughter.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sadly Mrs SA would have my nads of with a blunt spoon re the chubbies.......
But, but.............what about the thread that can't be named? I thought this was a list of your "conquests"!!!!!

Gutted I am.

But, but.............what about the thread that can't be named? I thought this was a list of your "conquests"!!!!!

Gutted I am.

More of a fantasy league AY.... ;)

We Brits like our privacy. Some parts of France are not like this, especially when they think they might have family “rights” to your trees for firewood and pond for fish.

I've heard this....tell me more......
Is it the right to hunt over your land or a piss take because you are Rost Bif .....

It was a thought to sell here at some point and buy a small farm to retire to..... is it like a right to roam as in Scotland ?

The idea of the locals just wandering all over the farm / woods is not appealing......we've enough of an issue with that here now with Townies and covid campers thinking the countryside is just like a big park....

Is it the right to hunt over your land or a piss take because you are Rost Bif .....

It was a thought to sell here at some point and buy a small farm to retire to..... is it like a right to roam as in Scotland ?

The idea of the locals just wandering all over the farm / woods is not appealing......we've enough of an issue with that here now with Townies and covid campers thinking the countryside is just like a big park....
I only know through family that have moved to France. I do not live there. I would, but Mrs R would not. C‘est la vie.
The “right“ to hunt, fish, etc can be old and ‘enshrined’ in law, ie it doesn’t really exist. Be kind to them, they might throw you a truffle. You could invite the hunters in for a coffee-calva and they might bugger off.
As in most things fFrench, make friends with the local mayor. He/she can have lots of influence within the commune. That’s from my wife’s cousin in Tarn et Garonne, YMMV.

No, they have no right at all to hunt over your land.
If putting up Chasse Garde signs does not work then brut 'get orf my land' works a treat, but you have to be persistant, and I mean very persistant but they get the message eventually.
Fishermen are another pain in the arse, but I find the full section attack mode tends to get the message over and they soon cross the river to the other side.
I shoot & fish, and am also a registered trapper...I don't put up with their boarder incursions.
Another good tip...put up some 'Terrain Piege' signs and make sure they believe you have some traps out which would spoil their dogs day and they soon go elsewhere.

One of my exes parents bought a house in Normandy.
Neighbours were lovely except for the chicken coop.
It resembelled a sentry box and stank to high high heaven.
The chooks were never allowed outside.
Feed was chucked into the top, and shit and eggs collected from the bottom.
No Eu welfare standards adhered to at all.

kif

Swinger

Less than 20 hectares the local ACCA ( 'Commune' hunt) have access unless you ban hunting on your land or rent hunting rights to a private hunt. Do get a 'bail' if you do this even if for a peppercorn rent as it formalises the arrangement. And be on your toes because someone WILL push their luck.

Latest Threads