Moving to France

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by omegahunter, Dec 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My Stepdad is retiring to France, and wants to take his collection of rifles with him. He's got a couple of fullbore, a few small bore, a semi auto .22, a shotgun, and a pump.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for find out about the laws about this? What kind of storage we need in France? What paperwork we need?

Ta muchly!
  2. is he going on a hunting safari of the cheese eating types?
  3. Don't need anything for the .22. I would advise you to contact the Gendarmerie HQ. (Web search) Don't forsee many problems there. Forsee problems getting them out of the UK though so advise him to have all paperwork in order and pay a visit to the local plod. Make copies of all paperwork.
    Best of luck.
  4. Alsacien seems to know about French firearms laws. Maybe a PM in his direction will bring results.
  5. Second thoughts, this site contains details of which categorie the various firearms are in and what the licence requirements are:
  6. BASC in the UK will probably have a more detailed briefing sheet – look at their web site.

Storage requirements are much the same as in the UK. He will need to be in possession of his UK Shotgun Certificate, Firearms Certificate and European Firearms Licence (an extra one that is issued, on request, by his current licensing authority). On arrival in France he will need to contact his local police who will pass him on to the Departmental Firearms Officer (for me this was Quay d'Orsay in Paris/Isle de France). The local Mairie (town hall) will also have contact details; ours used to have all of the shooting info, rules, seasons and contact details for officials of the local shoot on a notice board in the main road.
  7. Have a look at register then enter the region of France that your going to live in.

Anglo info can be a pain in the arrse as there are so many know it alls on there but on the other hand there will be peeps who have the answers to what you want know.

Hope that helps

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Which is the prefecture responsible for his intended domicile? (Gendarmerie has almost nothing to do with the process).
    Does intend to hunt or target shoot?
    PM me a list of weapons/calibres and I can tell you which ones will be too much trouble.