Moving to Brussels - Any arcane laws?

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by MightyBigEgo, Jan 6, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Dear All,
    I will be relocating to Tervuren (just outside Brussels) for a couple of years this month due to work, and was wondering if there were any arcane/bizarre laws that I might fall foul of? I have already heard that it is illegal to wash your car on a Sunday...any more gems?
    Cheers
    MBE

2. Log on read the UKSU (JFC HQ Brunssum) website you muppet

3. or SHAPE's excellent website ...these sites contain the details you need. Happy New Posting.

4. Why would he do that - JFC is in Holland and has no info on Belgium you muppet.

I served in Tongeren on the Belgium/Dutch border in 89-92 and always laugh when stopped by belgie police and asked if I have been drinking on saying no I am then handed a bottle of beer and sent packing LOL

5. errr..thanks for that but I am not moving to Belgium as part of the military..if I was don't you think I would ask those at SHAPE/NATO HQ or even read the briefing pack that would be sent to me??? And to be perfectly honest, I have no idea what the hell those initials you spouted are talking about! Top tip...next time you are trying to be clever by abusing a genuine poster, get your facts straight beforehand or otherwise you look like a kn0b.

Thanks sparkysapper, I will add that my list of knowledge!
    MBE

6. Sorry mate, i thought from your post that you had been posted to HQ NATO in Brussels.

Sparky

7. Not to worry, i have still learnt something from that website...

8. What that Belgium is a third world country with shops pmsl.

Sparky

9. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

My pal works at the Commission & has a flat in Brussels, he has not told us of anything but I will ask him next weekend when he is next home.

10. IS Ski Geek

IS Ski Geek War Hero Moderator

Car insurance was a bit of a pain in the arrse as well as the way the tax system works with foreigners over there. The Belgian police in the south love their speed cameras and it is on the spot fines. Ryan air got closed down in Charleoi so your cheapest airline will be from Brussells not sure which on however the eurotunnel train is v quick and reasonably cheap. Also when you want tunnel tickets back to UK register with a belgian address as the tickets work out cheaper for some reason.

Had a good time living there Brussels was great on the pop. You are at the centre of everything Paris, Amsterdam, UK, Germany all max 2 hour drive away.

Hope you have a good time.