Moving to Australia

UK which, like Germany and the rest of the EU is a Group 3 country. He’s entered Australia twice, first time he came from a List 1 country with a cat and they both spent month in quarantine.

The expensive bit is the flight; you have to shop around the agents. There are limited pet slots long haul. KLM fly pets as unaccompanied baggage to Aus

My OH is a veterinary surgeon BTW as is my business partner.
Lucky you !!veterinary surgeons in australia have a licence to print money I cover weekends for a practise here on the darling downs, its embarassing having to charge 150$ just for call out and then come the treatment costs as well, Even though I studied in Heidelberg and Konstanz as part of mymasters, QLD does not recognise my qualifications, but they were willing to allow me to instruct students in their final 6 months practicum, at QU in Brisbane and Gatton, by the way the flights are not so expensive, emirates charge about 2000$ australian return brisbane munich, I was working on a captive breeding programme for Redtail black and Moluccan Cockatoo,s,the birds were surgically sexed by Queens land university veterinarians, the % of false results was unbelievable, a vet in oakey sold us our pedigree miniature dackel, who should stand 11 inches high and full grown weigh under5lbs, our little one stands 18 inches high and weighs about 30 lbs give or take a kilo, and she looks like a terrier, where as my training took 7 years and covered all aspects of creatures exotic or domestic,, english vets coming to australia ,have to start a whole new learning curve, as far as australian wildlife and farm animals are concerned, luckily I am over 75 now and can pick and choose what and where in the world to lecture or teach, unlike herein queensland, anyone can set themselves up in practise and if the right palms are greased you have no problems what so ever

Lucky you !!veterinary surgeons in australia have a licence to print money I cover weekends for a practise here on the darling downs, its embarassing having to charge 150$ just for call out and then come the treatment costs as well, Even though I studied in Heidelberg and Konstanz as part of mymasters, QLD does not recognise my qualifications, but they were willing to allow me to instruct students in their final 6 months practicum, at QU in Brisbane and Gatton, by the way the flights are not so expensive, emirates charge about 2000$ australian return brisbane munich, I was working on a captive breeding programme for Redtail black and Moluccan Cockatoo,s,the birds were surgically sexed by Queens land university veterinarians, the % of false results was unbelievable, a vet in oakey sold us our pedigree miniature dackel, who should stand 11 inches high and full grown weigh under5lbs, our little one stands 18 inches high and weighs about 30 lbs give or take a kilo, and she looks like a terrier, where as my training took 7 years and covered all aspects of creatures exotic or domestic,, english vets coming to australia ,have to start a whole new learning curve, as far as australian wildlife and farm animals are concerned, luckily I am over 75 now and can pick and choose what and where in the world to lecture or teach, unlike herein queensland, anyone can set themselves up in practise and if the right palms are greased you have no problems what so ever

Good info. But please use some separate paragraphs or even full stops at the end - my head was spinning! :)

colinmc400

Clanker
Oh lets dust this one down and add my tuppence worth.

Just coming up for our fifteenth anniversary of being in Perth WA. It is hard not to sound like a smug twat, as we love it here. But its not for everyone.

We got here on a Permanent resident visa, due to the wife being a nurse and there was a skills shortage at the time. Aus uses a points system for deciding who they let in and skills and age are weighted quite heavily.

We were also fortunate to do pretty well out of selling our house in Brizzle and with an exchange rate of AUD 2.80 to the pound, we rocked up with a decent buddle of loot in our pockets. Its nearly a full dollar less than that right now and that would have scuppered our plans. Perth is like a village sized city, that's thousands of kms away from anywhere else and that's good and bad in equal measure. There is a limited amount of everything, some things there is almost none of and a whole bunch of people who have not been out of the state and think the place is still a village(the driving is woeful for example, as they give the driving licence away in cereal packets).

WA is the resource capital of Aus and its all Oil and Gas, Gold and Iron Ore mining and all the allied industry's to support that work. There are some very rich halfwits in WA and its very much an easy come, easy go sort of place and the cost of living reflects that. It must be hard if you are not in that game and being paid accordingly. Fortunately i am, having brought some post service skills with me and adapted them to the local market. As its a small city, its not awash with top talent and eventually you can find a decent opportunity, especially if you have something a bit different. As an ex Tiffy, i went back to working in workshop management, over seeing repair work for one of the Oil and Gas operators and eventually got noticed by the Operator and offered a chance to contract directly to them. When they made me the offer of a day rate contract, i had to ask the wife to double check the $$ rate. A 300% pay increase(yes without any sick pay or annual leave, i know), but absolute bonkers money. Having paid off my small mortgage in a couple of years, i jumped at the chance and 8 years later they are still paying me a kings ransom. My financial future is secure!

So what's to like here? Well there is a chance to secure your future, if you are prepared to work hard and take some chances. Generally houses are pretty big and mostly'ish single story and not sat on top of each other and the place just feels kinda spread out and most suburbs have some sort of green or open spaces in them. The weather, oh yes the weather. Yes the summers can be pretty warm, but we did not have so many days over 40 deg c this summer. Its the winter weather that's the clincher. It never gets very cold and generally any rain doesn't hang around for too long. Max temp during the day in mid winter is prolly 20 deg c?? So planning stuff outside is not ruled by getting soaked or frozen. And for me, food. There are a LOT of SE Asians in Perth, so the Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian food are all toptastic and cheap.

The downsides are, its the other side of the world in case you hadn't noticed. When we first came here, we would go back to blighty every second year, but as the folks are no longer able to travel down here, we are back once a year now. The wife misses her family, but not enough to wanna go back. But lets see how that goes when something really bad happens and she cannot get back in time. And its a long way from anywhere else really, like a 5hr plan ride from Sydney and Singapore for example. But you get used to that and we have travelled to a bunch of places from here, we never would have gone from the UK. Stuff to do, its not the most culturally enriched sort of place, so if you visit museums, theatres, concerts on a regular basis, you would probably not be pleased. Sydney and Melbourne get all that stuff, but we get the weather and the outdoors stuff. If you like camping, swimming, boating, golf, cycling etc, its awesome for that.

So would i leave and go back? I remember my first visit back to Blighty after we got here and somebody in the old regular pub says "what's the best thing about being back in Bristol", to which i replied "well obviously the fact i have a return ticket to Aus". That didn't go down really well at all.

Oh lets dust this one down and add my tuppence worth.

Just coming up for our fifteenth anniversary of being in Perth WA. It is hard not to sound like a smug twat, as we love it here. But its not for everyone.

We got here on a Permanent resident visa, due to the wife being a nurse and there was a skills shortage at the time. Aus uses a points system for deciding who they let in and skills and age are weighted quite heavily.

We were also fortunate to do pretty well out of selling our house in Brizzle and with an exchange rate of AUD 2.80 to the pound, we rocked up with a decent buddle of loot in our pockets. Its nearly a full dollar less than that right now and that would have scuppered our plans. Perth is like a village sized city, that's thousands of kms away from anywhere else and that's good and bad in equal measure. There is a limited amount of everything, some things there is almost none of and a whole bunch of people who have not been out of the state and think the place is still a village(the driving is woeful for example, as they give the driving licence away in cereal packets).

WA is the resource capital of Aus and its all Oil and Gas, Gold and Iron Ore mining and all the allied industry's to support that work. There are some very rich halfwits in WA and its very much an easy come, easy go sort of place and the cost of living reflects that. It must be hard if you are not in that game and being paid accordingly. Fortunately i am, having brought some post service skills with me and adapted them to the local market. As its a small city, its not awash with top talent and eventually you can find a decent opportunity, especially if you have something a bit different. As an ex Tiffy, i went back to working in workshop management, over seeing repair work for one of the Oil and Gas operators and eventually got noticed by the Operator and offered a chance to contract directly to them. When they made me the offer of a day rate contract, i had to ask the wife to double check the $$ rate. A 300% pay increase(yes without any sick pay or annual leave, i know), but absolute bonkers money. Having paid off my small mortgage in a couple of years, i jumped at the chance and 8 years later they are still paying me a kings ransom. My financial future is secure!

So what's to like here? Well there is a chance to secure your future, if you are prepared to work hard and take some chances. Generally houses are pretty big and mostly'ish single story and not sat on top of each other and the place just feels kinda spread out and most suburbs have some sort of green or open spaces in them. The weather, oh yes the weather. Yes the summers can be pretty warm, but we did not have so many days over 40 deg c this summer. Its the winter weather that's the clincher. It never gets very cold and generally any rain doesn't hang around for too long. Max temp during the day in mid winter is prolly 20 deg c?? So planning stuff outside is not ruled by getting soaked or frozen. And for me, food. There are a LOT of SE Asians in Perth, so the Chinese, Vietnamese, Malaysian food are all toptastic and cheap.

The downsides are, its the other side of the world in case you hadn't noticed. When we first came here, we would go back to blighty every second year, but as the folks are no longer able to travel down here, we are back once a year now. The wife misses her family, but not enough to wanna go back. But lets see how that goes when something really bad happens and she cannot get back in time. And its a long way from anywhere else really, like a 5hr plan ride from Sydney and Singapore for example. But you get used to that and we have travelled to a bunch of places from here, we never would have gone from the UK. Stuff to do, its not the most culturally enriched sort of place, so if you visit museums, theatres, concerts on a regular basis, you would probably not be pleased. Sydney and Melbourne get all that stuff, but we get the weather and the outdoors stuff. If you like camping, swimming, boating, golf, cycling etc, its awesome for that.

So would i leave and go back? I remember my first visit back to Blighty after we got here and somebody in the old regular pub says "what's the best thing about being back in Bristol", to which i replied "well obviously the fact i have a return ticket to Aus". That didn't go down really well at all.
You sound like you have been here long enough to not look back but in my opinion there is nothing worse than blagging back home how great it is over here.

All I ever say is the weather is nice but there are loads of flies and everything wants to kill you and I miss my mates I grew up with.

Giving it billy big balls is a d1ck head with a long overdue fall from grace.

Last edited: