Moving to a small island

ugly

LE
Anyone know what the score with wanting to move to the Falklands?

Can UK passport holders just rock up like a tourist and look for a job and then rent a place to live like anywhere in the UK, or do you need a work visa before you get there with a promise of a job already sorted?

Property prices and availability?

Cheers...
LMGTFY
This however made the most sense!
Slate’s Use of Your Data

ugly

LE
From: Entry requirements - Falkland Islands (British Overseas Territory) travel advice
Visitors

On arrival in the Falkland Islands you must have:

• a passport valid for the proposed duration of your stay. No additional period of validity beyond this is required.
  • a return air ticket (or other evidence of pre‑paid onward travel)
  • evidence of accommodation with family/friends/hotel/business
  • sufficient funds to cover your stay in the Islands

British nationals do not need a visa to enter the Falkland Islands, but you may need a visa to transit Chile. There are no facilities to issue Chilean visas on the Falkland Islands. Visitors are prohibited from taking paid employment without a work permit.

For further information on entry requirements, check with the Falkland Islands Government Office in London.

WTF would you want to go there? And it's almost unbelievable that it's almost next to the antarctic with almost no population and the British still want to hold on to it. Maybe they figure with the melting polar ice cap they may find oil.

There's a bit more to it than that, as there is with the Falklands.
It's all to do with the Antarctic and fishing and mineral rights. Possession of countries (and little frozen rocks like S Georgia) confers a part of the Antarctic on to the host country. If you look at a map and draw a line (or two lines) from the latitude of the Brit possessions down to the Antarctic then Brit gets a large chunk of the mineral rights in that area.

Similarly, Argentina is a very narrow country so its lines only give them quite a small bit of the Antarctic territory. If they'd taken the Falklands, it would have trebled the amount of area for fishing and mineral rights down on the seas to the ice pack which includes the oil that is supposed to be there (if the price rises again and it makes removing it viable).

Go to Tristan da Cunha - they need new DNA...

There's a bit more to it than that, as there is with the Falklands.
It's all to do with the Antarctic and fishing and mineral rights. Possession of countries (and little frozen rocks like S Georgia) confers a part of the Antarctic on to the host country. If you look at a map and draw a line (or two lines) from the latitude of the Brit possessions down to the Antarctic then Brit gets a large chunk of the mineral rights in that area.

Similarly, Argentina is a very narrow country so its lines only give them quite a small bit of the Antarctic territory. If they'd taken the Falklands, it would have trebled the amount of area for fishing and mineral rights down on the seas to the ice pack which includes the oil that is supposed to be there (if the price rises again and it makes removing it viable).
Speaking of oil....

Noble Energy, Edison give up on Falkland Islands offshore block - Penguin News

It's just that when you look at the distances involved and the effort it takes, you sometimes wonder why...well...the U.S. has a few of its own not quite remote.

BZZ-PSY.gif

WTF would you want to go there? And it's almost unbelievable that it's almost next to the antarctic with almost no population and the British still want to hold on to it. Maybe they figure with the melting polar ice cap they may find oil.

We English types are very good at sarcastic/ironic statements. That was an example. If I was to say Gruinard Island, that would be another example.

FYI, we want to hold on to it because it is British, could there be any better reason?

The thing with small islands (paradisiaque or not) ...it costs so bloody much more than on the main land. (Transport costs)
Then you have the infrastructures : doctors, hospital, schools, internet connections, fresh foods, and transports (caburants)
Okay, if you are young enuff and want to get out of the rat race trap. Solutions are and can be found to almost any obstacle
What happens in the eventual case of, 'you do not get on with your neighbours'
You will know in the first 5 minutes on meeting him / them
Once you have done your daily trot around your wee island...what are you going to do next ?
Die of boredom more than likely
True story
Know a few ex buddy's from the Legion who went that way. ..
Installed in exotic islands (so they say)
Bora Bora (Tahiti)
Mayotte (canal of Mozambique)
Both are french terrority's over seas
Had pity for the big Jacko when he came over for the Legion célébration, (Camerone) a few years back. Him and me did the biz during 5 years or maybe more. ..
The dude was almost in tears, due to the lack of a decent / reasonable / similar conversation.
Another, Bon (that's his name) Went to la Mayotte, where he had served previously. ..got married and had a kid. ..hmmm okay, if that's your thing
Once spawned, the Missus files for devorce and immigrated to France (Nîmes and where i live). Of course he followed but homeless and skint.
Checked me up. Drove him here there and any where he wanted, looking for a job (radio op and all goods véhicules) and an appartement, closer to his child as possible. ..Nada
Ended up going back to his home town and living with Mama
Another, same regiment and company. ..went to Mayotte too and about the same time too
He was a meccano
He opened his own garage. .. (Mayotte is a rock = understand?)
He had the sense, if you want to call it that, i dont, to open a resteraunt
Some few french administration settlers evry now and again .Rest of the time It's the locals who are skint and on the slate
Do not be stunned by the Thomas Cook brochures

Last edited:
The thing with small islands (paradisiaque or not) ...it costs so bloody much more than on the main land. (Transport costs)
Then you have the infrastructures : doctors, hospital, schools, internet connections, fresh foods, and transports (caburants)
Okay, if you are young enuff and want to get out of the rat race trap. Solutions are and can be found to almost any obstacle
What happens in the eventual case of, 'you do not get on with your neighbours'
You will know in the first 5 minutes on meeting him / them
Once you have done your daily trot around your wee island...what are you going to do next ?
Die of boredom more than likely
True story
Know a few ex buddy's from the Legion who went that way. ..
Installed in exotic islands (so they say)
Bora Bora (Tahiti)
Mayotte (canal of Mozambique)
Both are french terrority's over seas
Had pity for the big Jacko when he came over for the Legion célébration, (Camerone) a few years back. Him and me did the biz during 5 years or maybe more. ..
The dude was almost in tears, due to the lack of a decent / reasonable / similar conversation.
Another, Bon (that's his name) Went to la Mayotte, where he had served previously. ..got married and had a kid. ..hmmm okay, if that's your thing
Once spawned, the Missus files for devorce and immigrated to France (Nîmes and where i live). Of course he followed but homeless and skint.
Checked me up. Drove him here there and any where he wanted, looking for a job (radio op and all goods véhicules) and an appartement, closer to his child as possible. ..Nada
Ended up going back to his home town and living with Mama
Another, same regiment and company. ..went to Mayotte too and about the same time too
He was a meccano
He opened his own garage. .. (Mayotte is a rock = understand?)
He had the sense, if you want to call it that, i dont, to open a resteraunt
Some few french administration settlers evry now and again .Rest of the time It's the locals who are skint and on the slate
Do not be stunned by the Thomas Cook brochures
I spent time in Mayotte , pleasant enough but I certainly wouldn't marry a local , nearly all whores looking for a meal ticket , plus they carry all sorts of unpleasant diseases...so a mate said.

Two months there with nothing to do I`d be climbing the walls.

There is a little island the Hamworthy side of the little bridge, no one lives there and it only really gets used for bbqs or by bored kayakers wanting somewhere to visit

Close to civilization if you count Poole, but zero infrastructure

No idea who actually owns it though...

Another thing to consider is the lack of variety of girls on a small island. Can you imagine what Tinder would like there....you would just go, yes I know her, yes she is my cousin etc. etc. Would suck if you're a single guy. My ex who is from NZ used to say that she seemed to know half the people on it...and NZ has about 4 million peope.

Another thing to consider is the lack of variety of girls on a small island. Can you imagine what Tinder would like there....you would just go, yes I know her, yes she is my cousin etc. etc. Would suck if you're a single guy. My ex who is from NZ used to say that she seemed to know half the people on it...and NZ has about 4 million peope.
You could try the lifestyle out, by living on the Isle of Sheppey for a while

Depends how big a small island you may be thinking of. I'm seriously considering Cyprus when retirement comes. Have friends with places out there & spent a wee bit of time their ourselves & were surprised how good it be for our putting our feet up years. Costs can fluctuate but are generally lower than UK plus the health provision is 1st class.