Moving to a small island

ugly

LE
Depends how big a small island you may be thinking of. I'm seriously considering Cyprus when retirement comes. Have friends with places out there & spent a wee bit of time their ourselves & were surprised how good it be for our putting our feet up years. Costs can fluctuate but are generally lower than UK plus the health provision is 1st class.
Our neighbours liked northern Cyprus so much they went back to attend a sales pitch. A bit of legal investigation and the risk of returning owners claiming their land was enough to deter them. About as clever as buying a house in Spain!

What is it with Brits and all this hate on Essex? Admittedly, I know little, apart from visits to Brentwood and Southend on sea...I thought they were OK.
It’s like England in miniature- some bits are all right but most of it is a chav-infested shithole.

What is it with Brits and all this hate on Essex? Admittedly, I know little, apart from visits to Brentwood and Southend on sea...I thought they were OK.

Essex is to England, as the redneck swamps of Louisiana are to the USA. Its stereotype peoples and lifestyles, over here its "white van man, criminals hideaways, dim promiscuous blonds, full of black* cab drivers, ( As in licenced *hackney carriage) and the states, Cletus marrying his sister, as depicted in the Simpsons. and the lifestyles of the inbred and moronic.

Essex is to England, as the redneck swamps of Louisiana are to the USA. Its stereotype peoples and lifestyles, over here its "white van man, criminals hideaways, dim promiscuous blonds, full of black* cab drivers, ( As in licenced *hackney carriage) and the states, Cletus marrying his sister, as depicted in the Simpsons. and the lifestyles of the inbred and moronic.
Though that's more like Alabama and Florida...

You've got to at least have a night out at Baz Vegas, which is the Essex version of Las Vegas for those who haven't visited Basildon yet
I have been there actually! I was taken there by a colleague of mine when I was temporarily staying in Brentwood for work for a week. It's a bloody human zoo! Good bowling alley there though (from what I remember)...we had a few rounds...but I couldn't handle the craziness of the clubs and pubs...people falling over, super loud music everywhere, girls falling over etc etc. I did have fun in the bowling alley..lots of lanes and relatively quiet...

ugly

LE
Cyprus isn't a small island, neither is Puerto Rico. anything over 10 miles wide or long isn't small. Lundy is small. Many of the BVI and USVI are small and some are medium but not Cyprus.