Moving images from New York Times

JINGO

War Hero
Book Reviewer
Perhaps these images might shut up even our yank bashing fraternity for a while. They should be published far and wide to illustrate just why our own glorious MOD lie,lie and lie again to cover up the true number of our own wounded whilst cutting services,wards and support for them. Truely humbling.

Photo 6 is deeply moving.

God love her.

I don't think the public could stomach something like this being done about our wounded troops.
They'd prefer to campaign against housing for relatives visiting injured soldiers who are rehabilitating, or ensuring that military personnel don't travel through our airports in uniform in case they offend someone...

No6 is just mindblowing.

These images should be shown to everyone.

Anyone think we could do a British version?

I must confess to being a spetic basher, the roman legions of the twenty first century. I apologise, seeing those images has brought to sharp focus the pain and suffering, of those who defend our rights to take the piss. A British version would be useful, if only to point out to us civvys that an important job is being done by true heros.

Sorry to post so soon again, but after leaving the Army I am now a photographer, with wedding as my main work image six has moved me to post again. It is a moving picture which shows not only the effects of war but also the consequences of it. words fail me.

Agreed. Numbers of casualties announced by the media daily do not even come close to conveying the cost paid not only by those who serve, but also by those who wait for them.
A very humbling and sobering collection.

Very moving pictures.

picture 6, what a great girl. good luck to them and the others.

I suspect that if people in the UK were really aware of what the human costs of these wars, that this government has hidden so well, the labour party would be in real trouble - and deservedly so.

Ski.

I just looked at the images & sat here for minutes deciding what to say.Words cant describe it.PTP mentioned image 6 of the brave Marine looking at his lovely wife,his face,well,gone,and her expression is one of numbness.He must've gone thru month's of surgery & yet,all this time his wife stayed by his side when many would've ran.
I was moved to tears over these images.The US have lost far more men than us but as far as I'm concerned,we're all brothers in arms.I might have been out of the mob for 10 years but I'm sure that like all of ex-whatever ,we're still in, albeit in spirit.
God bless all our servicemen whatever the nationality.
Regards,
Spike

spike7451 said:
I just looked at the images & sat here for minutes deciding what to say.Words cant describe it.PTP mentioned image 6 of the brave Marine looking at his lovely wife,his face,well,gone,and her expression is one of numbness.He must've gone thru month's of surgery & yet,all this time his wife stayed by his side when many would've ran.
I was moved to tears over these images.The US have lost far more men than us but as far as I'm concerned,we're all brothers in arms.I might have been out of the mob for 10 years but I'm sure that like all of ex-whatever ,we're still in, albeit in spirit.
God bless all our servicemen whatever the nationality.
Regards,
Spike
Hear hear Spike... I'm 2 years ahead of you, but I too still feel the same as you...

PartTimePongo said:
Photo 6 is deeply moving.

God love her.
The bride, Renee Kline, 21, is dressed in a traditional white gown and holds a bouquet of scarlet flowers. The groom, Ty Ziegel, 24, a former Marine sergeant, wears his dress uniform, decorated with combat medals, including a Purple Heart. Her expression is unsmiling, maybe grave. His, as he looks toward her, is hard to read: his dead-white face is all but featureless, with no nose and no chin, as blank as a pullover mask.

Two years earlier, while in Iraq as a Marine Corps reservist, Mr. Ziegel had been trapped in a burning truck after a suicide bomber’s attack. The heat melted the flesh from his face. At Brooke Army Medical Center in Texas he underwent 19 rounds of surgery. His shattered skull was replaced by a plastic dome, and a face was constructed more or less from scratch with salvaged tissue, holes left where his ears and nose had been.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/22/a...em&ex=1188014400&en=20c4850ddeb8d480&ei=5087

My biggest fear being that these so brave brave brave men and women would be used as political fodder. I submit, after this political ad ran, that the same people who sold us the war are selling us on something else. Figure it out for yourself.:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TNTWYnPi8yc

And now, the same guy who 'organised these ads':

Ari Fleischer didn't even know the name of the Iraq vet in his ad
by Joe Sudbay (DC) · 8/23/2007 09:48:00 AM ET

Ari Fleischer comes from the GOP school of "support the troops." In their world, the troops are only good as campaign props and for sloganeering. Fleischer proved that tonight. Fleischer is the spokesperson for a Bush-backed pro-Iraq war that's attacking Republicans. If you haven't read Tom Matzzie's open letter to Ari, check it out. Last night on Hardball, Ari could not even name the vet featured in the negative ads. Think Progress has the video and the outraged response from Paul Rieckhoff:
Later in the program, Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America executive director Paul Rieckhoff ripped into Fleischer’s offensive ignorance. “What bothered me the most is that Ari Fleischer didn’t even know the guy’s name.” said Rieckhoff. “He’s willing to run a multi-million dollar campaign, utilizing the personal story of a soldier, and he couldn’t tell you on national TV what that soldier’s name is.”

Rieckhoff described it as part of “a problematic trend” that Freedom’s Watch is using the soldier’s “personal story” as “a backdrop for political rhetoric”:
People on both sides of the aisle, but especially the president and this administration, have continued to use troops as a political prop. As a backdrop for political rhetoric. It’s why the president gave such an impassionate speech today in front of the VFW. It’s why this ad carries so much weight on a visceral level. And it really bothers me because our troops are not political props and they’re not chew toys.

http://www.americablog.com/2007/08/ari-fleischer-doesnt-even-know-name-of.html
Lest we forget, Fleisher was the face of the White House when they sold us this ignominious war.

Reality isn't nice. I'm glad I'm out. Sometimes I wish I was back in, helping out but when the possibilities run through my mind I can't help but feel glad that I'm not going back out on tour, it's not a glamorous place.

Hopefully images like these, of people who are just doing their job will help bring public support. We've fought for our country. Please support us when we need it.

oooo