Moving day Helmand style: how to turn a farm into a fortress

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Jan 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

From The Times January 21, 2008

Moving day Helmand style: how to turn a farm into a fortress
    Image :1 of 3

Anthony Loyd in Budwan, Helmand

The soldiers' knock on the gate came just after 8am on a bitter morning of freezing rain. The Afghans were already awake and tending their livestock inside the compound. There were nearly 50, the extended family of five brothers. Farmers, they had lived in their area for generations. Their ancestors lay buried in a cemetery on a knoll above their home.

“I told them there was bad news,” Warrant Officer Les Bering, the Danish soldier, said. “That they had to go.”

Unknown to the Afghans, their home was the focal point of Operation Thunder, an ambitious British and Danish plan to seize, hold and build on a chunk of territory in the Taleban heartland of the Upper Gereshk Valley, central Helmand. Their spacious compound just happened to be the intended base for FOB Armadillo, a new base of Nato troops. So they had to move. That very day.
    More on the link
  2. Well worth reading for those who have an interest in Afghanistan.
  3. The house may have been necessary from a Military point of view but from the "Hearts and Minds" stand point it has probably recruited that family, plus their extended family, to whichever local war-lord holds sway at present.
  4. Assuming they've been adequately compensated;

it might be the best thing that's happened to them lately.

I've never been further east than West Germany myself but I'd imagine a couple of thousand $s goes a long way out there.
  5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They might have money, but how difficult would it be to assist them knock up a quick home close enough to till their land.

I'm not knocking the effort or the compensation, but considering the immediacy of the situation, the attendant engineers and the terrible weather, what would it have cost to knockl something up?
  6. But would they have wanted a home there. It seems to me that area is now going to be a bit of a shooting range.
  7. Do we have any Challengers in Afg?
  8. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Do we have any Challengers at all? They are being cancelled and sold off at one hell of a pace.
  9. No.
  10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Out of interest - how did the Danes get their big gear to theatre?
  11. doubt if it is a good a deal as growing poppy
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Probably flown in big Russian jets!
  13. The same way most large kit gets there, in chartered Antonovs. The Canadian Leopards and British Warriors got there the same way.
  14. & Rightly so. There are too many T-72's scattered around that place for my liking.
  15. If used correctly I think they could prove to be very powerfull tools. Tanks Ivan might have gotten his arse handed to him on a plate but hopefully we can do things a little differently.