Moving Car To Germany

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Aiden, Feb 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi guys

moving to Hohne in march,
    i need to get my car sorted, like insurence and new tyres and all that stuff, anyone know much about this? and how much it all costs, and any insurence company that is any good/cheap

thanks

2. When I took my car to Germany there were several snags. To register it it had the pass the TÜV (the German MOT) test. Mine, a four month old Vauxhall failed - after having the headlight lenses changed it passed. The test are not cheap. Registration, on the other hand, isn't too bad - but prepared to hand in you UK plates.

You will need two sets of wheels, one fitted with winter tyres as it's now law that they must be fitted between October and Easter.

Insurance is very expensive but much better than in the UK.

Have a read of this:

How To Germany - Driving in Germany

3. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Try AXA in Fallingbostel. And tell him I sent you.

4. Hi, we had our car insured with :Welcome to The Forces Insurance Service they were cheap and they use the chasis number and not the registration number, this is due to when you BFG your car the registration will be changed. The car will need to pass a BFG test, once your car is BFG'd you can the get your tax free fuel!!!! (GIT)!!!!

STILTS

5. Wrong and wrong and wrong :)

You don't need two sets of wheels you can just change tyres on the wheels you have.

You don't even need to have two sets of tyres either as you can use all weathers or just drive on winter tyres all year.

There is no law that says which date when you must fit/remove as it all depends on the weather.

But other than that not all that bad really :)

6. Duff info there mate, BFG roadworthyness test is free.

You can get Insurance very cheap, Culpeck are really good I pay 32 euros a month fully comp with my misses on there to

7. True, but changing wheels is much quicker and cheaper than changing tyres. A set of wheels from a scrappie are pretty cheap and driving on two different sets of tyres increases their effective life.

8. You could be right but I assumed Aiden is a civvy. Moving to, not posted to...

9. No disagreement there and I wouldn't normally bother but your first post was just so typical of the rumours and half understood laws that can get people in the shit or cost them a lot of money.

10. If he was a civvy, why in the hell would he be moving to Hohne of all places??

11. Oh, and to what rumours and misunderstandings are you referring? OK, I simplified the new winter tyre law, but the rest is all from personal experience.

12. thanks for all the info guys

and no im not a civvy lol, posted to 32 RE regt

13. My mistake. Best of luck.