Moving back to the U.K.

Good point! The past few years, the lines down to (?) Three Rivers where lines split have been great , out of normal commuting hours.

Is there anyone else at the new office you can ask?
Three bridges?

Alton has lots of decent pubs for a small town. Can’t say much for the schools.

Just don’t move to Basingstoke.

If you are not limited by going into Waterloo, I’d take a look at somewhere in Lincolnshire or Leicestershire. Leicester is just over an hour from St Pancras and Grantham slightly less.

My wife has been offered a job back in the U.K which we are considering. It will be London based, but 80% ish work from home. Any suggestions for an area that's not too bad a commute to Waterloo ?
We prefer country/sense of space and will accept a drive to the station as it will only be about 45 days a year. We also know a few folk in the Sevenoaks area but aren't tied by any family so it's a bit of a blank slate.
Very unexpected offer so we haven't had a chance to do any research other than a quick look on 'rightmove'
Avoid this country like the plague!

Yvette Cooper went to school in Alton, what can I say
So did some other reprobates who have done much worse with their lives

There are pubs within walking distance of any part of town and several very good ones. Shame about the brewery.

Zhopa

LE
We have both been gone for 14/15 years so all our knowledge is quite dated.

As well as inspecting a potential house before moving, have you considered inspecting the country? Unfortunately while some things have improved since you left, much else has gone the other way. (I'm not going to be a smartarse and say there's not much in it between London and your other choice of central Africa, but it's fair to say that in some ways the gap is narrowing.)

We are currently in Johannesburg with my wife working for the UN, her contract finishes soon but with an offer to move to Central Africa which we aren't keen on.

Given that you are currently in Jo'burg, ignore my last post :) :)

Just a thought - But given the option of another UN gig in Central Africa or moving back to the UK. Central Africa would win it for me.

My wife has been offered a job back in the U.K which we are considering. It will be London based, but 80% ish work from home. Any suggestions for an area that's not too bad a commute to Waterloo ?
We prefer country/sense of space and will accept a drive to the station as it will only be about 45 days a year. We also know a few folk in the Sevenoaks area but aren't tied by any family so it's a bit of a blank slate.
Very unexpected offer so we haven't had a chance to do any research other than a quick look on 'rightmove'
If you are looking at the countryside you must bear in mind that town living became unsexy during the pandemic and house prices in rural areas have risen accordingly.

Goring is nice and has a train station, however.

If you are looking at the countryside you must bear in mind that town living became unsexy during the pandemic and house prices in rural areas have risen accordingly.

Goring is nice and has a train station, however.
To a certain extent that has been reversed. Many London refugees discovered that rural life was not all it's cracked up to be, and fled back to the bright lights.

To a certain extent that has been reversed. Many London refugees discovered that rural life was not all it's cracked up to be, and fled back to the bright lights.
Townies .... pah! :rolleyes:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Surely at 45 days commute a year, you'd still be cheaper just not staying anywhere near London and flying in domestic or train?

When I say near London, have you considered Glasgow or Edinburgh??

Hairy-boab

War Hero
Surely at 45 days commute a year, you'd still be cheaper just not staying anywhere near London and flying in domestic or train?

When I say near London, have you considered Glasgow or Edinburgh??
Or Fife for the train, Angus north of Dundee, Inverness….

Wouldn’t suggest Edinburgh, it’s full of pricks and AirBnBs.

Don't pick Scotland. The SNP are turning it into a bigoted sectarian shithole, and if they get their way, it'll be worse than central africa.

The drive by shootings tend to be more an in house thing among taxi operators. No one sensible goes anywhere near where those crunts hang out anyway. They pay no attention to road signs, markings or the law so anywhere you find them is a congested, obstructed, self absorbed shit circus infested with the halfwit mongs.

Latest Threads