Movie About Northern Ireland

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Chief_Joseph, Oct 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looks promising.

Not to detract or hijack the thread from the Chief but the best literature Ive ever read about Ireland has to be Trinity by Leon Uris.Does anybody know,was it ever made into a movie?
  2. Don't worry, I put it up for general discussion. I don't really know as much about NI as I should. Truly I think this is for you guys to comment on. It's about time a film on the subject was made from your perspective.
  3. Looks good! Can anyone recommend good N.I movies, by the way?
  4. I can't think of any good movies. there was an excellent TV series called, I think, Harry's Game. The brilliant film Ronin has the worst IRA man ever, played by Jonathon Price on an offday. The Crying Game has bits but thats about all I can think of.
  5. Harry's Game is absolutely brilliant, i've only read the book though.
  6. Not a movie but a play made for TV...Contact, came out in the eighties about the paras, from what I can remember it was very good, based on a book written by an officer who served in NI....Just found a link here. :)
  7. I just found the IMDB listing. I must say that the plot outline sounds a bit like an American "Chick Flick". I'm a bit dissapointed. I'll probably see it anyway.
  8. I don't think there has ever been a film made about NI from our side.......admittedly 'Harry's Game' was good but it was still seeing them from the inside!

Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
  9. I've never had that impression, and don't know anyone else that does. Of course, things might be different if I lived in Boston.
  10. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I think you are wrong on this. There are a few Irish Americans and others, mostly on the East coast around the large cities that make come close to this; however, the majority of Americans, to include myself, know that the the IRA and especially the PIRA are the "Bad Guys."

Having just returned from a visit to Belfast and the NI region I found it to be pretty peaceful at the moment.
  11. Whereabouts did you go Trip?
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

I notice we still can't have explosions without plenty of petrol to make the flash.. thank god ol' Speilberg directs his effects teams to the contrary.
  13. On a similar note, does anyone remember the name of a tv series (I think it was a 2 parter) about a unit (Paras?) doing a tour in N Ireland? The name escapes me but the scenes I remember were - an officer accidentally shooting a child in a gloomy block of flats, a car bomb exploding as a patrol went to check it and the closing line being something about it "all being over by Christmas".

Would love to track it down and watch it again, it was great TV IIRC.
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

TCS, I remember it, but I don't recall the name. Well known Brit actor playing a maj is somewhere with a capt and drops a kid with his 9mm

Wasn't bad IIRC

For my money, the best (and its not that good) movie about NI was The Informant with Tim 'Bond' Dalton. Fairly complicated and showed the various sitatuations well, the only problem was the troops were all tooled up with SA80's in about 1983.