• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Movie About Northern Ireland

#1
#2
Looks promising.

Not to detract or hijack the thread from the Chief but the best literature Ive ever read about Ireland has to be Trinity by Leon Uris.Does anybody know,was it ever made into a movie?
 
#3
Devil_Dog said:
Not to detract or hijack the thread from the Chief
Don't worry, I put it up for general discussion. I don't really know as much about NI as I should. Truly I think this is for you guys to comment on. It's about time a film on the subject was made from your perspective.
 
#5
I can't think of any good movies. there was an excellent TV series called, I think, Harry's Game. The brilliant film Ronin has the worst IRA man ever, played by Jonathon Price on an offday. The Crying Game has bits but thats about all I can think of.
 
#7
Not a movie but a play made for TV...Contact, came out in the eighties about the paras, from what I can remember it was very good, based on a book written by an officer who served in NI....Just found a link here. :)
 
#8
I just found the IMDB listing. I must say that the plot outline sounds a bit like an American "Chick Flick". I'm a bit dissapointed. I'll probably see it anyway.
 
#9
I don't think there has ever been a film made about NI from our side.......admittedly 'Harry's Game' was good but it was still seeing them from the inside!

Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
 
#10
Letterwritingman said:
Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
I've never had that impression, and don't know anyone else that does. Of course, things might be different if I lived in Boston.
 
#11
Letterwritingman said:
I don't think there has ever been a film made about NI from our side.......admittedly 'Harry's Game' was good but it was still seeing them from the inside!

Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
I think you are wrong on this. There are a few Irish Americans and others, mostly on the East coast around the large cities that make come close to this; however, the majority of Americans, to include myself, know that the the IRA and especially the PIRA are the "Bad Guys."

Having just returned from a visit to Belfast and the NI region I found it to be pretty peaceful at the moment.
 
#12
Trip_Wire said:
Letterwritingman said:
I don't think there has ever been a film made about NI from our side.......admittedly 'Harry's Game' was good but it was still seeing them from the inside!

Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
I think you are wrong on this. There are a few Irish Americans and others, mostly on the East coast around the large cities that make come close to this; however, the majority of Americans, to include myself, know that the the IRA and especially the PIRA are the "Bad Guys."

Having just returned from a visit to Belfast and the NI region I found it to be pretty peaceful at the moment.
Whereabouts did you go Trip?
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#13
I notice we still can't have explosions without plenty of petrol to make the flash.. thank god ol' Speilberg directs his effects teams to the contrary.
 
#14
On a similar note, does anyone remember the name of a tv series (I think it was a 2 parter) about a unit (Paras?) doing a tour in N Ireland? The name escapes me but the scenes I remember were - an officer accidentally shooting a child in a gloomy block of flats, a car bomb exploding as a patrol went to check it and the closing line being something about it "all being over by Christmas".

Would love to track it down and watch it again, it was great TV IIRC.
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#15
TCS, I remember it, but I don't recall the name. Well known Brit actor playing a maj is somewhere with a capt and drops a kid with his 9mm

Wasn't bad IIRC

For my money, the best (and its not that good) movie about NI was The Informant with Tim 'Bond' Dalton. Fairly complicated and showed the various sitatuations well, the only problem was the troops were all tooled up with SA80's in about 1983.
 
#17
CutLunchCommando said:
Trip_Wire said:
Letterwritingman said:
I don't think there has ever been a film made about NI from our side.......admittedly 'Harry's Game' was good but it was still seeing them from the inside!

Why bother anyway? most Americans have bought the idea that the IRA sat around in small cttages burning peat and then fighting back 'Heroically' while we wrecked their potatoe fields for years. Warrenpoint, Enniskillin etc mean nothing to them. :evil:
I think you are wrong on this. There are a few Irish Americans and others, mostly on the East coast around the large cities that make come close to this; however, the majority of Americans, to include myself, know that the the IRA and especially the PIRA are the "Bad Guys."

Having just returned from a visit to Belfast and the NI region I found it to be pretty peaceful at the moment.
Whereabouts did you go Trip?
We only spent on day in NI, mostly in the City of Belfast, town of Balley Castle (For coffe and scones.) and out to the "The Giants Causeway" (The Causeway hotel for a pint of Guinness. :)) as well Karnlauthand.
 
#18
Dont think it was a breed of heroes? wasnt part of the series by lynda da plant about the ex-paras???? was it.

Contact is doing the rounds on DVD somewhere, was converted from video to dvd, ive the book somewhere?
 
#19
Trip_Wire said:
We only spent on day in NI, mostly in the City of Belfast, town of Balley Castle (For coffe and scones.) and out to the "The Giants Causeway" (The Causeway hotel for a pint of Guinness. :)) as well Karnlauthand.
:D I suspected the Causeway might feature on the agenda! I gather you didn't order the mixed grill at the Causeway Hotel as you haven't mentioned being hospitalised with protein overload!
 

Mr Happy

LE
Moderator
#20
scarletto said:
Dont think it was a breed of heroes? wasnt part of the series by lynda da plant about the ex-paras???? was it.

Contact is doing the rounds on DVD somewhere, was converted from video to dvd, ive the book somewhere?
It wasn't Lynda's effort. It was around the same time but I think it was more of a BBC 3 part special.

I'm just going to check IMDB because I have a suspicion that the Maj in NI also played the RM Maj in An Ungentlemenly Act.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top