Movements cock ups - again!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Jan 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

I don't know if this is elsewhere on Arrse, and if so I apologise. But this story in today's Glasgow Herald makes my blood boil.

How to pi ss off troops at Christmas

2. Interesting that the RAF pass the blame onto the TRI Service responsibility, How about hand up we had 10 hours notice of a change of destination and we should have had coaches ready.

3. That's strange as late afternoon of 23 Dec, arrivals at Prestwick was full of desert combat clad troops in from Iraq who then were all queuing up at the car hire desks to drive south. Is this a regular occurence then? Even more shocking if it is.

4. You can't get away from weather conditions thats life.....................

However lame administration (no doubt decision makers were opening pressies with their families) bad logistics, general lack of care and disrespect for their punters appear to be at the fore here.

You'd think some C+NT would think about the timings and the time of year and dig out blind/pull out all the stops to make this smooth and painless

On boxing day I flew over/past Iraq, past Afghanistan and landed and was on the job within 4 and a half hours flight time, add a connection london/schipol 50 minutes.....................

Why is this so fecking hard to do. I flew with chickens in crates, goats etc with a rubbish airline they manage it, and landed on a fogged in, snow bound run way

The RAF appear to have dropped the ball at every step, no doubt an excuse for it all.............................................................

There is even a we hate the raf site on facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2261720141

Yes yes all the rest of the raf do a grand job but............................you are only as good as you last performance and as usual the movers appear to be dog toffee

5. was it actually foggy at Brize on Christmas Eve? Anyone local??

6. If its a repeat performance that is unbelievable, if its the organisation actually choosing this route they should be fecking stung up

Either way it stinks

7. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The fact is that the movements organisation is tri-service, so it's not a question of passing blame, it's a case of recognising that the RAF are not solely responsible, especially where charter flights are used. You will probably know that onward moves from airheads are a unit responsibility, so one could equally ask why units, having phoned BZZ to confirm arrival of the flt and learned of the diversion, didn't either organise something themselves - all those hire cars aren't organised by the RAF - or phone movs at Prestwick to find out what was planned (or not, as it turned out). I have as little time for movers as the next man, but there are times when they aren't to blame.

I suspect that this situation is a combination of a number of factors: lack of sufficient RAF AT assets resulting in the need to charter; potentially, MoD chartering on the basis of cost rather than reliability; lack of flexibility regarding a change to the flight plan; a wish to divert the a/c to an airfield where there were service movements staff on duty; and that Prestwick's landing fees are undoubtedly lower than those at LGW, STN or BHX.

If only they hadn't closed the MDAs to save money...

8. i know its not brize, but lyneham was fog bound on 22/23, still it didn't stop nearly the entire herc fleet making it back home in time for xmas. :x
    now i'm not denying any serving member the right to be at home for chrimbo, but in times when you cant get an aircraft for all the tea in china and in light of lads having to fly into scotland when they were based in wiltshire. the hercs could of brought them home

9. 36 hours in transit and then having to hire a car to probably travel the length of the country is not something to reccommend to anyone

If a rank rating dies in an RTA due to fatigue after this admin cluster who's gonna take the blame/bullet

Someone is in charge somewhere at whatever level

10. Sadly, not even the best movers in the world can pull too many miracles from Prestwick on a Christmas Eve. I hope that they gave 110% in trying because that is what every soldier deserves.

Frankly the in-theatre treatment at Udeid is more appalling. A one-star has to intervene to get transit beds for nine hours on Christmas Eve? I hope that he bloody sacked someone.

Hopefully the ac Captain did not have landing fees in mind when he selected Prestwick because those stats at the end of the article aren't too bad given the complexity of the air bridge.

11. msr

msr LE

Why should they - they won't get any thanks or reward. It would just create a whole load more work for themselves.

See above.

Surely there was a nearer airport open?

And those stats don't give the whole picture: what about the flights from Kuwait City?

msr

12. From the Daily Herald:

"Despite having 15 hours' notice of the delay and diversion, RAF movements staff claimed they had not received orders to make onward travel arrangements and that no coaches were available."

Looks like initiative and leadership skills aren't being taught to RAF officers/senior ranks, but making excuses and passing the buck is.

13. The unfortunate fact regarding that is, the only person to blame would be the person driving the car!

I do sympathise immensely with those stranded and don't condone the apparent lack of help from units. But, at the end of the day, nobody would be forcing them to drive, its the individuals decision (I would drive as well if I was in that position).

14. I am not in for a tri service ball kicking contest, but the guys have just spent 6 months on OPs some one stand up admit sorry took our eye off the ball, xmas or no we will put a procedure in place to deal with this situation if it occurs again. They were Army, Navy or Air force they should have been better taken care of, the Unit should have booked transport crap, probably a small rear party who were unaware of changes.

15. This sort of treatment has been going on for years now in one form or other and its all down to cheap and cheerful and hope it works. The money I would guess does not allow for belt or braces never mind a parachute. If there was a will to sort this out in the interests of morale and retention it would have been sorted by now. There is neither the will nor the money nor the intention.