Movement Controllers

Discussion in 'RLC' started by mcandrett, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm thinking of transferring to the RLC as a Movements Controller. Can anyone in this trade (or who knows about it) tell me some more about it. Like.. Do you work a lot of shifts / unsociable hours? Is it boring and just consists of counting pallets to be loaded? What are some of the areas / units I can be posted to within the UK? Do you work a lot with the RAF's Mov Cons? Any info you can give about it would help and be appreciated. Thanks :thumright:
  2. Why dont you speak with your RCMO :frustrated: That's what he is there for.

In short terms:

South Cerney is the main place in UK

or Bielefeld in Germany

All the info is available on the net.
  3. I'd prefer not to let anyone within my unit know my intentions just yet.. Besides... It'll be good to hear about the trade from someone that's actually doing the job.
  4. cracking job!

5. If I wasn't in the RLC and planning on becoming a mover...I'd prefer not to let my anyone in my unit know too!

What's red with yellow wheels? A mover

What's yellow with red weals? A freshly whipped Jap
  6. And to top it off. Being based at South Cerney!!! :cry:
  7. You work whatever hours you want. You usually slope off when a load of soldiers need to get home.

Most exciting job in the army. If you're ever bored you can confiscate leathermans and laugh about it with your grotty mates.

Yes. Mainly to discuss tips on how to f*ck people about and to compare how many batteries you've nicked off people.

Did I mention all movers are cnuts?
  8. I wondered how long it would take before this turned into a mover hating/baiting thread. There is already a perfectly good one here:

Instead of coming out with the same old ill-informed drivel how about some decent advice for once.
  9. Thanks for the info given
  10. My Bold. Tried to avoid the Mover Baiting but as just returned from flying visit to sand saw first hand how RAF Mov couldn't run check in at custom made location (BZZ) and how movers in theatre tried to provide open reporting on fluid situation. Customer experiences differ and invariably it is the messenger that gets shot.
  11. I'm not a mover, however I have served with them..Mate to me they appear to have a good life. They get treated as adults on the whole. Yes they do work some crap hours, but hey dont we all, promotion is good and they are quite often trusted to work alone or in small groups.

They guys and gals are a good bunch in general, like all trades they have the odd case of thrush but as mentioned speak to a mover get their view.

Many people seem to re-trade to mover so ask one that has seen both sides of the coin, rather than asking a spotty little scrote that knows know better than to slag their trade off!!!
  12. And you know all this from how many ops / tours and coming into contact with movers?

You're a civilian aren't you?

PS I'm not a mover or defending them.
  13. As there appears to a lack of Movcons pitching maybe I should throw my ten pence worth in.

I speak with some authority as I was a Movcon for nearly 15 years but I have been out of trade since 1998 so I'm sure many things have changed.

My basic career structure was as follows:

Dvr (Pte) - posted to South Cerney to a mobile movements squadron, spent precisely 3 weeks in camp during my first year. I went on attachments to Montreal counting things off ships, Ascension Island counting things on and off helicopters, Denmark counting things on and off ships, Heathrow airport counting trolly dollies, NI counting things in and out of containers, Bicester counting things in and out of trucks, 2 tours of Norway counting Bootnecks. Plus various exercises around the world. Brilliant for travel but lots of counting.

Dvr (still) - posted to NI as part of a Mobile Movements team, rotated work at Aldergrove Int , Donegal quay docks, Belfast City airport and Larne Docks - working completely alone at each location issuing warrants, sorting out co*k ups etc. This doesn't happen anymore for reasons that were very obvious to us at the time.

Dvr/LCpl - Posted to 17 port and Maritime Regt (Sport and Pastime). Initially counting things on and off ships but promoted quite quickly and moved into the documentation side of things, then i moved into the container section all on my todd and found myself responsible for all container movement in and out of the port, lots of paperwork, liaison with customs, hazardous goods courses, stowage planning for shipping and effectively managing the workload of a team of Port Operators. A difficult job as I was the youngest person there but probably the best time I've had in the army to date.

Cpl - Posted to 24 Regt, Hannover. Initially as a rail loading supervisor spending lots of hours at railheads telling people to move a tank 2 centimetres (I had good reason). Then I spent a year or two in the Air Booking Office, funnily enough booking flights and unit moves but also working at Hannover airport when required. During this tour I also deployed on Op Granby, mainly to do shipping related things, this included things like following the main force through kuwait to assist with future MSR planning and Port/Airhead recce. Also did a 6 month stint in Belize air and sea movement.

Sgt - Posted to HQ UKLF (Land) Responsible for arranging exercise and operational movement worldwide. This was my first real view of the bigger picture. I found myself tasking shipping and aircraft both mil and civil all over the globe. The work ranged from booking a discreet ferry passage for "them" to deploying a Brigade to Op Grapple. Undoubtedly the busiest and most demanding posting I ever had in movements.

Sgt/SSgt - posted to NI again to run the civil booking office. A harsh job as I had to look after 22 civilian staff, most of whom worked for airlines and all but two female. (one of my better jobs)

SSgt/WO2 - Posted to HQ QMG (DLO) - Basically responsible for all heavy road movement in th UK. I tasked the Mil UK Tank Transporter squadrons and when they were all used up I went out to contract with the commercial sector. It was here that my next door neighbour showed me his pay statement (as a pilot) and i thought, he's thick as fcuk and earns too much more than me so I went to the Army Air Corps.

Hopefully you can tell from the above that it's a varied life, I haven't even mentioned most of the places I managed to get to but the last count was 29 different countries, and I haven't really gone into any depth on the different elements of the job.

You will be the face of the problem at many stages, people will blame you personally that an aircraft is late or a ship has broken down. If you decide to go this route then always try to remember these things and you won't go far wrong.

1. You are there to help and not to hinder.
    2. All people really want is timely information (preferably the truth), food, drink and a warm bed.
    3. Look after others and they WILL look after you.

The same person that slates you for telling him bad news will thankyou for getting him 5000 miles in less than 20 hours to be at his dying Fathers bedside in time to say goodbye..and it will be your job to make sure it happens, even at the rank of L/Cpl. The job satisfaction from making this happen is hard to describe, especially when you have had to hold commercial aircraft and get municipal airports open etc.

All in all if I had never had the option to fly helicopters then I would of stayed as a Movcon and been happy with my choice. Promotion is very quick if you are up to it and as the rank structure is very top heavy there is a good chance of making WO1. I was selected WO2 at 29, not overly early for some trades but not that bad considering I stayed a Dvr(Pte) for 5 years.

Good luck with your choices and I hope this helps.
  14. Trust Floppy-Jockey and Big Red as I can vouch for them fully. I too (no secret here) am a Movement Controller and it was the best move (SIC) I ever made (I was supposed to become a Staff Car Driver :puker:, which would have been a bad move).

It requires common-sense, the ability to communicate efficiently and a patient but firm nature. The rest of the skill-set can be taught.

Working hours vary hugely from post to post and should not really be something you should worry about when considering re-trading.

It is not an easy life and you will have to work hard to pass the courses, whoever you are or whatever background you are from.

If you want to work at all levels within the MOD then it is the trade of choice (small detachments, regiments, brigade staff, divisional staff, FLC, MOD, agencies, overseas posts and many more besides - Movement Controllers get everywhere).