Move of the wife after breakup of marraige

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by oldbaldy, Feb 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

JSP 752, Chapter 7, Article 0207 (07.0207); this seems to indicate that the first move after breakup of a marriage can be at Public Expense !

This is known to have worked at least once in the Naval System does anyone know if this has been successful in the Army, it may save charities some money!

2. When I got rid of my bitch she was moved at public expense back to the UK just as if it was a posting. I had to pay for an MSQ for her in UK, but once she was kicked out of that it was her problem.

The army does not want the embarressment at having a bunch of ex-wives being thrown onto the the street in Germany, thus they are sent to UK where, at the end of it all, they become a UK council problem.

Bitter? Me- only on days that have a Y in them. Hope she suffers a painful lingering death for a very long time.

3. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

What I am talking about is a move from a UK MSQ to where ever she is going.

You can burn my ears when we meet at Ypres :wink:

4. Why should I as a tax payer pay for somebody elses misfortune? Surely it is up to the individual to fund it. Who pays in civvy street? not the tax payer!

5. Because as dependant the partner/wife would be entitled to a return ticket as a matter of course at the end of the posting, there is no additional cost to the public purse

6. Grumpy, I think the move is only paid for as Inf/MP says. So you don't end up with lots of out of home wifes and kids hitching a lift for the Chunnel.

Civvies are different. THey haven't been posted to Brunei, Germany or Canada.

The UK pads, (i might be wrong in this) but I don't think they get any assistance with the move. Our next door neighbours split up, she got to stay in the house for 3 months (extended for the kids to sit exams to about 4 1/2 IIRC) and then they moved. They paid for the Qtr and the move.

Don't know if that is normal. But can't see them paying for something that they didn't have to.

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I agree but at the moment if the soldier refuses the wife is left to do it herself.
    Most civvie breakups involve a move to another part of town not a move of 00s of miles.
    At the moment, in general, if the wife cannot pay & the husband refuses all I can do is ask the relevant Regimental Association for a contribution. That means less money for other charitable work. So if I can get the MOD to pay it will help the charities.

8. I was in the same boat, I got told to make it look as though we were still together for the move back to the UK, get in to the quarter, stay for a couple of months (oh fecking happy days), move out to single accom and she gets the quarter for 3 months. Her move back to her hometown was paid for by her parents. She didn't even have the decency to let me know when she was moving, found out when I went to visit the nippers, told Fam Off that she had gone, we all went to the quarter to find she had trashed it and I got the fucking bill for the clean-up.

9. OldBaldy Wrote: I agree but at the moment if the soldier refuses the wife is left to do it herself.Most civvie breakups involve a move to another part of town not a move of 00s of miles.
    At the moment, in general, if the wife cannot pay & the husband refuses all I can do is ask the relevant Regimental Association for a contribution. That means less money for other charitable work. So if I can get the MOD to pay it will help the charities.[/quote]

I see where you are coming from, but the wife is not left to do it herself. The unit welfare office is in a position to help, the more close knit the unit (i.e. regional inf Bn etc) and the more of a family atmosphere there is, the better for her. I have personally (when I was a unit Families Officer) with the help of my CSgt, hired a van (paid for by the Regt) and moved a wife to a council house over a 150 miles away, which we had helped her get. Of course like most things in the military it is personality driven and we didn't "have" to help her, but we did and I think that most unit welfare officers I have come across, with the support of the Comd Offr would try to help as much as they could.

Obviously if she is in Germany, Brunei etc then that is a different matter, but I thought this topic was based on a UK scenario

10. O_B: a couple of Qs.

Is this in UK? Have you made it official to Fams bloke? If answer to both is an affirmatory then you MUST quickly kill the beetch, dismember same and pass these pieces through a wood chipper.

Having been through the loop with Mrs Baseplate II (minus the CSI set-dressing actions), I was paying through the nose for some months as the MQ rate is immediately charged at local Council/Social housing rates. And, because of the enormous amount of geld visited on us by a grateful Gubment, you have no recourse to the usual line of Chav Claims.

At the time (mid 80's and I was a young Sgt), there was no facility to move the lumpen frau at public expense: however, this may have changed and I stand to be corrected.

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Cheers, Grumpy,
    I hear what you are saying but the I'm the charity & the Army Welfare Service are the ones who are referring the wife to me.
    I know the RN have done it through public funds as it was told to me by a chap with the RNBT, over a pint. So my question is has anyone any knowledge of an Army Unit doing it.
    I agree Families Officers used to do what you used to do but whether that still happens I don't know.

Baseplate, I am talking about the UK.

The other thing that has me thinking; if it is allowable though public funds, why up to now, have I had considerable amounts of money from Regimental Associations. I would have thought they would know about this JPA reference :?

12. Ah - now I have the picture.

Please ignore all my (alleged) previous refs to tapping a piton into the bitc.......lady's forehead.

Prior to discharge, one of my last tasks was to help a young lad with something similar: I left before we got a result but I believe that a generous interpretation of (the then) JSP by CO, Fams and others helped reduce it from a Box Of Kleenex to a 3 x Tissue event.

I seem to recall that unit Big Cheese has quite some say as to how public funds are spent in cases like this. Given the current climate, might I suggest that avenue - The Currant Bun/Star/Mirror et al would be thrapping for a fortnight with a story like that.........'War Hero's Ex Sent To The Workhouse By Toff CO'.........................well, I'm sure that you get the picture.