Mouth, meet money...

My boss will be so pleased! he simply can't wait for me to **** off, let alone get paid for it!

[video=youtube;h-LbvFckptY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-LbvFckptY[/video]

Who cares?

My tour bonus was a cool £5.5k.

Sod the boss and the firm. The Yanks don't have these poxy issues. But team UK is a poxy team. That's why we can't recruit. It's demographics. We're populated by lazy selfish weaklings who expect everything done for them and compo when it isn't.

How comes firms since, say err, 1914, haven't needed a cash incentive to have TA blokes on the books and now in 2013 we have to pay out?

“We are looking at the equation around financial incentives,” Mr Hammond said. “I would like to look at financial incentivisation for those employers for whom it matters. It would be direct financial incentivisation. It means cash - it means cash when their employees get called out on reserve service.
"called out on reserve service" needs a bit of clarification. If this represents Annual Camp, a few hundred quid might be all it takes to encourage small businesses to take on TA soldiers, it being a bonus that they wouldn't otherwise get. If it's only payable on operational mobilisation, it's not going to have much effect, particularly if the stated aim is to avoid expeditionary conflicts.

How comes firms since, say err, 1914, haven't needed a cash incentive to have TA blokes on the books and now in 2013 we have to pay out?
Because, until 1996, the TA were unlikely to be called out unless Britain's security was directly affected?

Who cares?

My tour bonus was a cool £5.5k.

Sod the boss and the firm. The Yanks don't have these poxy issues. But team UK is a poxy team. That's why we can't recruit. It's demographics. We're populated by lazy selfish weaklings who expect everything done for them and compo when it isn't.

Probably something to do with the fact that with jobs being at a premium these days and the average employee easily replaceable by a stream of Eastern Europeans; employers can stick two fingers up to whom they like.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
a lot of TA were from national industries who took them in from the army and also gave them time off to train like the prison service used to. such industries also had enough blokes to spare unlike now where its all cut to the minimum.

<Pedant point>

Half of the TA (about 6 Divs) was mobilised in 38 to man the air defences. Stagging on at night and working civilian job during the day...

Employer / Army / Family relations weren't to good at this time from all accounts.

Most small companies would not be able to cope if they lost a member of staff for six months due to the expertise lost. The compensation money would be irrelevant.

If I got mobilised tomorrow, I'd need to find several grand to pay HMRC in Jan [corporation tax - is this covered by existing awards?]

Camp costs (my company) around 1000 per week but may fall within a lean period so cost not so bad.

A couple of hundred quid?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
If I were unable to deploy I would hand my kit in.

That's how I feel about that. I can't see the point of all that training just to do nada.

Extra cash for businesses taking on part-time soldiers
Small businesses COULD be given hundreds of pounds when employees in the Territorial Army are sent on operations as part of plans to boost the country&#8217;s reserve defence force.

That is a weasel statement if ever I saw one; 'could' means nothing guaranteed, and £200 is 'hundreds of pounds', if you qualify after filling out the paperwork in company/your own time.

If it is even vaguely true, which at a time OAPs are being asked to hand in their buspasses seems unlikely, it does rather imply that the TA bloke you take on for your little company WILL be called up for six months to cover for the regs. You don't get owt for nowt.

Why not do it the other way? Increase the regs, but on the proviso that a random number will be called up to civvy street for six month tours to bolster the civilian work force. That makes as much sense.

If I were unable to deploy I would hand my kit in.

That's how I feel about that. I can't see the point of all that training just to do nada.
You're highly experienced and of great use to the TA as you have something to bring to the party.

I would have left when I was told I couldn't deploy, but when I remembered how much me being in uniform annoyed the smaller-minded, I decided to stay.

Latest Threads