Mouth, meet money...

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, May 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Hundreds of pounds?

Excellent - that will really make a difference!
    • Like Like x 3
  3. My boss will be so pleased! he simply can't wait for me to **** off, let alone get paid for it!

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Who cares?

My tour bonus was a cool £5.5k.

Sod the boss and the firm. The Yanks don't have these poxy issues. But team UK is a poxy team. That's why we can't recruit. It's demographics. We're populated by lazy selfish weaklings who expect everything done for them and compo when it isn't.

How comes firms since, say err, 1914, haven't needed a cash incentive to have TA blokes on the books and now in 2013 we have to pay out?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. "called out on reserve service" needs a bit of clarification. If this represents Annual Camp, a few hundred quid might be all it takes to encourage small businesses to take on TA soldiers, it being a bonus that they wouldn't otherwise get. If it's only payable on operational mobilisation, it's not going to have much effect, particularly if the stated aim is to avoid expeditionary conflicts.
  6. Because, until 1996, the TA were unlikely to be called out unless Britain's security was directly affected?
  7. Probably something to do with the fact that with jobs being at a premium these days and the average employee easily replaceable by a stream of Eastern Europeans; employers can stick two fingers up to whom they like.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

a lot of TA were from national industries who took them in from the army and also gave them time off to train like the prison service used to. such industries also had enough blokes to spare unlike now where its all cut to the minimum.
  9. In 1914 there were national industries?
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Civil Service Rifles?
  11. Yes of course and the post office, but that's hardly the point is it?

I think we have decayed significantly as a society. Our concept of 'nation' is not the same as it was back then.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. If I got mobilised tomorrow, I'd need to find several grand to pay HMRC in Jan [corporation tax - is this covered by existing awards?]

Camp costs (my company) around 1000 per week but may fall within a lean period so cost not so bad.

A couple of hundred quid?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Any idea what the TA did between 1914-18 and 1939-45?
  14. <Pedant point>

Half of the TA (about 6 Divs) was mobilised in 38 to man the air defences. Stagging on at night and working civilian job during the day...

Employer / Army / Family relations weren't to good at this time from all accounts.