Mouse help

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by Legs, Jun 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have just purchased and correctly installed 2 Microsoft Notebook Optical Mice, on 2 Dell Laptops, both running Vista.

On both laptops the software installed properly, and the mouse pointer moves about the screen. The scroll wheel works, but the other buttons don't. No other mice are installed, the latest drivers are installed.

Any ideas?
  2. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

have you installed MS Intellipoint? try de-installing it and seeing what Vista makes of them as plug and play devices (which it should do anyway, seeing as it's MS kit on Vista machines... but you know what I mean. :( )

PC troubleshooting - not so much a science as more a black art...
  3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it's USB kit I take it? (which makes it even more of a wind up... it should work straight out of the box...)
  4. My other half gave me a fandangled wireless mouse called a 'ferinject' - I must say it is a very nice item and comes with a USB transmitter that pops out the front of the mouse when a button is pressed. Not one for reading instructions much nowadays as most computer related products are 'Plug & Play' I was finding it tends to stop working if you leave the comp for a while, I then discovered a small button on the transmitter which needs to be pressed and then the button on the top of the mouse should be pressed and then a tiny one underneath the mouse to get it working again, has anyone else got a 'ferinject' mouse and do you have the same problems?
  5. It's USB, and removing Intellipoint hasn't helped, even after a Restart
  6. BrunoNoMedals

BrunoNoMedals LE Reviewer

Silly question, and probably teaching you to suck eggs, but what are you expecting from the buttons that don't work? There are only so many additional functions you can expect from them, so random clicking on the desktop might not get results simply because there's nothing for the buttons to do. When testing the mouse, make sure you're using it in the right context.
  7. Have you look at the Mouse Properties in the Control Panel, you may need to tweak it a bit, that would be my first port of call. The Mouse properties have a number of tabs so you will have to go through them to enuse you are getting the right options working. The other point is, do you have a touchpad mouse on the laptop, you may need to shut that down as it may interfere if used accidently.

8. The functions I want are the functions that are basic (click on a button on the screen and it does something type basic)

I've been into Control Panel and it is set up correctly, and tells me "your device is working properly". Well no it isn't!

The touchpad on my laptop works fine, but I don't like them, they are a pain to use longterm.
  9. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

If memory serves you have to actually tell the software what button has to do what - I suppose you did set up the software?
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

You're probably best getting a human to help you out love. Apart from the language barrier, mice are only good for small jobs at ground level.
  11. Open the control panel & double click on the mouse icon.

In one of the tabs there may be a list of different mice (generic USB etc) is your specific one selected, if not select it & all should be well!!