Mounting Weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Timble, Sep 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Before someone asks, this isn't about some kind of fetish to do with buggering weapons.

My unit has recently de-activated an AK that we brought back from theatre, and is now looking at mounting it on a slab of wood to place on the wall (probably the OC's office). Does anyone have any experience of companies around Colchester way that can do this for a reasonable price?

Cheers,

T

2. Surely you could locate a unit in the Colchester area that has a pioneer shop? I'm sure they would do it for next to nothing. :wink:

3. [​IMG]

Had to be done.

On a serious note, most armourers are more than capable of doing what you want.

4. being that the AK is wood furniture, I'd say 2 screws (of correct length), a B&D power drill and the relevant screwdriver adaptor would suffice.

Screw straight through the slab and 1 into the butt, the other into the front handguard.

5. Is it certified? It needs to be certified by either the London or Birmingham Proof House before being mounted. You need to get the deactivation done and then send it to one of the said proof houses for certification. Have a word with your local neighbourhood Class 1 Armourer and check for the latest regulations.

As for the mounting - have a word with your 2nd line REME Workshop - they may well have some brass, a block of wood, some varnish, an engraving machine and a Class 3 sprog :) Shouldn't cost more that a slab or two or a reciprocal favour.

Any snags - drop me a PM and I'll phone a real grown up if required. Happy hunting!

6. I got all hot and flustered when i read the title of the thread, took me back to my childhood and watching "Muffin the Mule" :oops: :oops:

7. Get the REME element to braze attachments to the metal body and barrel (we have done this, works great).