mounting medals

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by dropshortRE, Apr 16, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help with a medal mounting related question? I have searched by cant find the answer.
    I am planning on getting my medals court mounted. The ones I have are OSM Afghanistan (with rosette) QGJM and VRSM. I am fairly happy that this is the right order to put them in.
    My question is to do with the rosette for my OSM. Does this get sewn onto the medal ribbon above the medal and bar, or would it only be worn on a ribbon bar?

2. Only on the ribbon bar, I believe - it represents your bar with the actual medal. As for the South Atlantic, Granby and Telic medals.

3. its only for your ribbon bar as it indicates a bar to the medal.

South Atlantic (Falklands (Op Corporate)) and GW 1 (Op Granby) medals are different to this as the rosette is worn on both the medal ribbon and on the ribbon bar (if entitled).

4. I always thought that too, but at last years rememberance sunday parade, i saw a guy who had a rossette mounted on the actual medal ribbon (not the ribbon bar) of his South Atlantic medal!

I dont have one on my Granby medal but i did on my ribbon bar, but that could mean anything with the way we got our medals, couldnt answer for sure what the rule is though.

Edit, above answer came up while i typed

Hmmm, where can i get a rossette from then?

5. FF - wrong I'm afraid! The Rosette is only worn on the South Atlantic Medal ribbon, not on the Granby one (This confusion was caused by a poorly worded instruction when the gong was first issued)

6. The rosette for the Falklands shows that you were in the theatre of operations for a defined length of time, those who were outside that area, just got the gong.

youre right GS, I was talking testicles, I was about to edit my post but you beat me to it.

7. Most of the replacment medals bods sell them for about a fiver.

8. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

And the same for the OSM Sierra Leone for those who took part in Op Barras - Rosette worn on the medal as per Op Corporate. For all others, on the ribbon bar only.

9. South Atlantic (Filbert was right - there is a rosette but no bar): http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/SouthAtlantic.htm

Granby: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/Gulf.htm

And the official answer to gren's question re 'stan: http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceFor/Veterans/Medals/OsmAfghanistan.htm

10. Gren PM me ref the rosette i have spares :)

The most recent medal which the rosette is worn on is Sierra Leonne (But only if involved on certain operations out there)

The Iraq Medal,OSM Afghan is issued with a rosette if awarded the clasp, these are sewn onto the ribband strip on your no1's/no2's/service dress ect.
    Off the top of my head dropshortRE it looks like the right order for your medals but with double check later on.

I hope that is of some help

RE