• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Mounting a 50" Plasma

Is this a wise move?

People are telling me it will fall off eventually due to vibration.

The wall would be above where the fireplace used to be. Old house, solid walls.

This DIY forum is catching on.

argos did mine..lasted a night,,, fell off..then they said it was me to blame as i had turned it round ? it was ment to turn round ...that why i got the ruddy thing.. they gave me a new one..

If you've got doubts, stick one of these:

between the telly and the floor.

edited to be serious:

If you have any doubts about vibration, use chemical fixings into the brickwork. They won't vibrate loose.

I have a Panasonic 50 inch plasma and put it up myself with this bracket,

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000RIXEVW/?tag=armrumser-21

It had bloody great fixing bolts that had to been screwed in with a spanner and I made sure the drilled holes were a snug fit, it's into a brick chimney wall above what was a fireplace.

The hardest part was lifting a 50 inch plasma onto the backplate once it was done so you may consider getting someone to help you with that part, but if you have a solid wall to go into then I can recommend this fixing.

i've got one up and mounted over a year now, swivels and tilts and rotates and everything; bracket was three hundred bloody quid though, oh and dont use whatever bolts that come with it, get some serious big ones and use plenty

definitely go for a tilt n swivel jobby or you'll get a stiff neck from sitting upright all the tiem

For stud partition walls, remove appropriate section of pb, insert noggins between studs, replace pb and make good, fit bracket to noggins/studs, fit telly to bracket.

Pick up telly, bracket, noggins, studs and plasterboard in the morning, as you didnt secure noggins correctly.

The best method for Plaster Board (Drywall Board) is to use toggle bolts through the wall to attach the bracket.
(Toggle and Rosettes work well).

I've literally set up hundreds of Plasma Screens using this method. Use plastic tube or wall plugs to reduce the hole size.

For solid walls use expansion Bolts.

Alternatively you can use cleats, using glue and small toggle bolts to attach the bottom cleats to the wall (allow to dry 24 hrs before mounting bracket).and bolts to attach the top cleat to the bracket.

Easy enough if you are sure of the mounting surface.

Personally I would prefer to use a stud wall as you can then get some serious fixings into the timber frame and it's easier to run the cables to the telly, however brick is okay.

As a starter because of the size and weight you need to pick a decent Bracket, this one looks okay (Bracket (91kg).

Fixings:
Never use the crap that is supplied with the bracket (always the minimum they can get away with IMHO).

For a Brick Wall I would use RawlBolts (biggest bolt (diameter) I can get through the mounting holes on the Bracket) such as these

Stud wall, find the upright studs and screw into those, if needed you may have to fit some noggins to pick up a decent fixing if the uprights aren't in the right place, fix the bracket using 8x70mm or 10x100 mm coach screws.

Cables (Mains, TV Co-ax etc) should always be 'chased in' ie hidden, with the outlets behind the telly it makes the installation so much neater. A telly in the middle of the wall with cables running up to it looks so err... crap!

As mentioned, if you can get it hung off a Stud Wall then the cabling can be dropped down the gap between the studs, but a brick wall will need some chasing out and the cables installed in some oval PVC Conduit or as a minimum under some PVC Channelling.

To keep it simple run a drop for the Power and a separate drop for the co-ax. Terminate both in suitable flush mounted outlets.

Power, use a single or twin Switched Socket Outlet, if you can get one with Surge Protection so much the better. 1st choice would be to run the circuit direct from the Distribution Board (D/B) as a Radial (MCB 20A/Cable 2.5mm T&E), 2nd choice would be extending the nearest ring main. (Note, if you are installing it in a 2 story house then run it from the D/B and NOT from an upstairs ring circuit, makes for safer isolation in the future).

TV etc try and use a Outlet Plate from the same range as the SSO, looks neater.

If you want to hook the PC up to it then run the appropriate cabling in as well, again separate drop from the mains, but okay if it's run with the co-ax.

Hope the above helps....

Note:

All Electrics should be done by a Qualified Sparks or as a min if you are handy with a screwdriver and know your way around electrics tested by a C&G 2391 & Part 'P' Qualified Sparks...

Stay alive, work 'Dead' always isolate.

Disclaimer: Should you choose to follow the above and it falls off the wall, the house burns down, you hang it upside down etc etc due to you or your mate(s) being mongs with tools I take no responsibility!

Latest Threads