Mountin bikers

It's something I love but haven't did for quite a while.

I've got a Carrera Banshee (halfords brand I believe), its a cracking bike that has lasted me very well.

I've noticed you've bought a hard tail though. Personally I prefer a bit of suspension in my rear end but I have noticed quite a few mountain bikes with only front suspension.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to this?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

Alsacien

MIA
I'll be out on mine this afternoon for a couple of hours.
I have a Cube (decent German make) fully, which I get a real buzz out of. Its a good way to do 2-3 hours of phys averaging a heart rate in the 140's, as opposed to my stupid squaddie training method of as hard/fast/long as you can until feeling like chucking up...

The advantage of a fully [suspended] over a hardtail is better traction and more comfort on rough terrain, especially if you leave the ground. Downside is extra weight, price and maintenance. If you intend you use it mainly to commute or on flat'ish forest trails get a hardtail.

...and get a helmet.

My Ride is a 1997 GT Zaskar 8 Speed with various XT, XTR & LX bits , a bit old school, but the frame is bomb proof and it carries my fat arse around Dalby forest most weekends. And i have Orangey Mango coloured tyres on it and my fence isn't creosoted either ;)

Got 2 old faithfuls , Specialized S Works Enduro and Specialized S Works Epic , neither are worth a fraction of their new price now but with regualar sevicing and a small fortune spent with Mojo both still ride ae well as many newer bikes - both date from the mid 2000's and are something of classics now , also got a Specialized stumpjumper from the 90's with full XTR kit and the old 1 inch ahead set thats still a blast to ride.

I got a new bike recently. Nice. The thing that gets me is the maintenance... Anyone got any tips for adjusting gears, you know like when you flick up or down a gear and you get the clicking sound instead of a smooth change? Deffo never going to be a mechanic!

Alsacien

MIA
Get a maintenance stand, foldaway job with a clamp fitting for the saddle stem, makes everything easier.
Adjusting is an ongoing thing as cables stretch, not difficult and a bit of trial and error works for most folks, otherwise get:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1934030597/?tag=armrumser-21

Zinn has been doing these books for years, get the one the covers the era of your bike as bits are specific to periods of time.

I got a new bike recently. Nice. The thing that gets me is the maintenance... Anyone got any tips for adjusting gears, you know like when you flick up or down a gear and you get the clicking sound instead of a smooth change? Deffo never going to be a mechanic!
Set the cable tension whilst your on the Highest gear(smallest cog) on the back, don't use the screws as they just set the end stops for the deraileurs. The cable stretches and get clogged with water so change every now and then.

As for my bike it's a Handbuilt Peter Grisley (no me neither) worth about £1000 from a mate for £80, I prefer the old bike as I can't stand full suspension bikes. The only downer is that it's not got modern disc brakes, a definate disadvantage going down some of the hills I manage to find myself on.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I've got a Felt hardtail for the rough long distance stuff. It's nice but not nearly as fun as my ultra rare ally framed specialized fatboy A1 pro race BMX.

20" wheels all the way.

Very similar to this one:

I've got a 2006 Dawes Silkstone that I've upgraded here and there. Latest additions were a pair of Halo Freedom wheels and some RockShox Reba RL forks which cost more than the bike but really transformed it :)

Solid frame that's fairly lightweight for a bike that's getting on it years but still bombproof enough to take some knocks.

Piccy of the standard one

2 Coves - Hustler (general wanking about on) and G-Spot (being a tit and breaking myself) and a Prince Albert (now woth the kid seat on the back!).

Fally - that Frame is as rare as rocking horse shit -though i guess you probably know that... Nice frames - surprised to still see an old Hope C2 going..