Mountin bikers

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by brettarider, Nov 13, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone do this and whatbike have you got? Just got a new one yesterday as a Chritmas pressie,

• Like Like x 1
  2. It's something I love but haven't did for quite a while.

I've got a Carrera Banshee (halfords brand I believe), its a cracking bike that has lasted me very well.

I've noticed you've bought a hard tail though. Personally I prefer a bit of suspension in my rear end but I have noticed quite a few mountain bikes with only front suspension.

What are the advantages and disadvantages to this?

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
  3. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I'll be out on mine this afternoon for a couple of hours.
    I have a Cube (decent German make) fully, which I get a real buzz out of. Its a good way to do 2-3 hours of phys averaging a heart rate in the 140's, as opposed to my stupid squaddie training method of as hard/fast/long as you can until feeling like chucking up...

The advantage of a fully [suspended] over a hardtail is better traction and more comfort on rough terrain, especially if you leave the ground. Downside is extra weight, price and maintenance. If you intend you use it mainly to commute or on flat'ish forest trails get a hardtail.

...and get a helmet.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Got a Kona Hei Hei which is a 15 year old titanium frame but still an excellent ride. Much prefer hardtails over full suss.

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

If you are gonna pimp your bike with blue tires you could at least put a coat of creosote on your fence.... ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I would if it was my fence!
  7. My Ride is a 1997 GT Zaskar 8 Speed with various XT, XTR & LX bits , a bit old school, but the frame is bomb proof and it carries my fat arse around Dalby forest most weekends. And i have Orangey Mango coloured tyres on it and my fence isn't creosoted either ;)
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Some Italian chap on my Cube:

9. Got 2 old faithfuls , Specialized S Works Enduro and Specialized S Works Epic , neither are worth a fraction of their new price now but with regualar sevicing and a small fortune spent with Mojo both still ride ae well as many newer bikes - both date from the mid 2000's and are something of classics now , also got a Specialized stumpjumper from the 90's with full XTR kit and the old 1 inch ahead set thats still a blast to ride.
  10. Me on my bike.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I see you dress to colour coordinate with your tires............
  12. Of course! You should see me on my road bike.
  13. I got a new bike recently. Nice. The thing that gets me is the maintenance... Anyone got any tips for adjusting gears, you know like when you flick up or down a gear and you get the clicking sound instead of a smooth change? Deffo never going to be a mechanic!
  14. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Get a maintenance stand, foldaway job with a clamp fitting for the saddle stem, makes everything easier.
    Adjusting is an ongoing thing as cables stretch, not difficult and a bit of trial and error works for most folks, otherwise get:

Zinn has been doing these books for years, get the one the covers the era of your bike as bits are specific to periods of time.
  15. Or look on Sheldon Brown's website. Everything you need to know about bikes.
    • Like Like x 1