Mountains near Kandahar, Afghanistan?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ruby2shoes, Mar 13, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone help?

I'm looking for the correct name of mountains 40k from Kandahar... called something like Tik Mountains.

Done plenty of searches on Tik, Tic, Tiq but coming up with nothing. Even installed Google Earth but can't find these mountains.

2. You fancy jacking up an AT exped in the middle of Op HERRICK?

3. Try 'Tigh'

Tigh-e xxxxxxxx

4. LOL @ camping in the middle of Herrick Eagle!

Found it since posting this, thanks. It's Tik and a way bit further than 40k from Kandahar. Job's a good'un!

5. Long-term ambition of mine is to follow in the footsteps of Eric Newby and climb Mir Samir.

Except I'd like to get to the top, obviously.

Might have to wait a decade or so till the place is a little more stable...

6. A decade may be a little optimistic!

7. Nice one, smithie. 8) Newby's book helped stimulate my interest in Central Asia. He tells a good tale. Yeah, might be best to wait a little while...

A Short Walk in the Hindu Kush

8. It's a fascinating book; have you read Jonny Bealby's For a Pagan Song, about a similar journey undertaken much more recently (late 90s).

Like Bealby, it was Kipling that got me hooked on Central Asia - The Man Who Would Be King is one of my favourite stories.

The existence of barely-climbed mountains there is a particularly large added bonus.

While we're on books about Afghanistan, Byron's Road to Oxiana is still a classic. I'm about to start Angelo Rasanayagam's new Afghanistan: A Modern History, which looks promising.

Sorry PTP, I think I've taken this quite a way from Current Affairs...

sm.

9. Thanks for the recommendations. I haven't read any of those, but will look them up. Yes, Kipling certainly has a way of drwaing you in.

Several years ago when I was in my teens, I saw a BBC documentary which showed horsemen in Kazakhstan, and I awoke to an entire area of the world that I'd never been aware of before.

Yes, the unexplored nature of the region invites romantic notions. I am interested in geology, and the thought of all those unmapped rocks has me salivating. :lol: :oops:

10. Where is the Hindu Kush??!
    I keep hearing it in Katie Meluia's song...'You set me free...you showed me how...took me half way up the Hindu Kush'...

I guy I used to know was working with ANATT (he being a Royal Scot attached to the Green Howards) and he was in an American camp just outside Kabul, he used to send me the most amazing pics of mountains and goatherds and mosques and caves and tank graveyards... I think Afghanistan is one of the most ruggedly beautiful countries and would love to go there...the people have a dignity and a danger about them that is fascinating...i've been told that its a bit iffy for a western woman on her own, although apparently there are quite a few aid workers etc...doesn't seem fair though to put other peoples lives in danger because of something I want to do...

Lady_M

11. I wish i could take Katie Melua up the hindu kush, but seen as how thats an extremely remote possibility, the Hindu Kush is a range of mountains strething 200 miles along the Afghan/pakistan border. It has a large number of remote and almost inpenetrable passes from one side to the other, with the most famous being the Khyber pass.

12. RTFQ

RTFQ RIP

only half-way? someone needs to do some kegel squeezing exercises...