Mountain madness

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by X59, May 2, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. X59

X59 On ROPs

Having spent the bank holiday weekend bimbling around the Brecon Beacons, I must say that the number of ********* who go up there is amazing.

Most people seem happy to wear jeans, trainers and t shirt. No map, no compass, no water or scran. No idea.

Fair one, the weather was good this time, but how quick can that change on the hill ?

One young couple asked me for directions to where they left the car - but they couldn't remember the name of the place !

Un fuckin believable !

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mate, have a chat with Mountain Search and Rescue boys if you want stories of real, crass stupidity on behalf of the general public

3. Banker

Banker On ROPs

Same up Helvellyn last week, nutters.

4. Years ago, I was told that if you went more than 50 metres off the roads in Dartmoor, you were in a 3-4 per cent group, out of the millions who visit each year. I can't believe that the Beacons, or Lake District are any different.

One tale I was told was that women walk up Snowdon, in high heels, but can't come back downhill.

5. I regularly walk the Cheviot Hills and come across people kitted out as you have detailed ... sometimes with a map / route from the Readers Digest / Newspaper Supplement or similar but sans Compass ... Bank Holidays seem to encourage these people to run to the hills like Lemmings for excitement ... another factor they do not realise is that Mobile Phones do not always work when you drop into a valley and as you say and I know the weather can suddenly change rapidly for the worse .

6. I did Snowdon last March, thick snow on the upper bit, we were undergunned without crampons to be honest, but some dappy northern f**ker came sliding past me in a hoodie, jeans and toe-tectors, his made had Adidas Sambas on. How I wished them a slidey screamy death.

7. Yeah that train is scary.

8. I know of at least 2 instances in 3 years where my unit on an AT trip has helped out civvies who are were very badly equipped and would have required mountain rescue. Most recently taking 3 frenchies off a mountain near Ben Nevis who were wearing trainers and had no map. It was a white-out and in winter conditions. they asked our guys what the number was for the helicopter, and if they could borrow our phone to call it (they had run out of batteries and could not really speak English).
    We had to cut up ropes to dog lead them down.
    The other lot was in the lakes, and was a similar story but in summer conditions at night.

This on top of the groups that have received friendly advice, who are too numerous to mention.

it really is amazing how many are out there, and lucky more have not been killed.

9. Was up there in the winter saw a family bumbling around red tarn, in trainers jeans and Barbour jackets, refusing my advice to turn around and go back as striding edge in it's state was iffy to the best of us, ice axes and crampons to boot!

10. I overtook a German family on Nevis a few years back, kids were all kitted out-waterproofs and little daysacks n boots etc and mum looked reasonable. As I passed I had to stifle sniggers when I realised the dad was in leather jeans and what might have been cowboy boots.

11. plus ca change, c'est la meme chose!

Slightly built 14year old kid, 70 lb pack, Bleaklow in the Peak, winter, snow, visibility 10 yards, and bugger all useful in the 70lbs pack!

1970 !

12. I am up the lakes atleast every other weekend and the sights you see, they really should start billing those that have not prepared for the changeable conditions. I carry enough shit that I sometimes I never left the army. And the people who can't even map
    Read!!!!! Boils my piss!

13. Its always the same when you have this sort of weather,its not so bad when were having good spells of weather like we are experiencing at the moment its when its changeable thats when problems really begin,usually a lack of visibility is chief reason among them.The unprepared generally just follow there noses into the hills,then they lose visibility and a nice day out suddenly turns into a bit of a drama.But you can include scenarios from all of the above as well,lack of navigational equipment ,lack of proper clothing etc etc ,i was out in the Western Brecons over easter weekend me and the missus both had rucksacks on and had a map,compass,gps,between us also with our own warm kit & waterproofs etc.A few people were looking at us like we were mad,it was a glorious day and perhaps given the weather it was overkill on our behalf but you should always be prepared for it to turn into a shitty day.

Incident Reports | Langdale/Ambleside Mountain Rescue Team

Just scanned through the first page,couple on the fairfield horseshoe no map compass etc,another couple using google maps to navigate with,class!!

14. what really striking is the difference between the determination and preparedness of some (a woman who self evacd herself with a broken ankle, refusing help even when it was offered for example) contrasted with the ****-tools with google maps. emperor mong has been know to occasionally take hold of all of us at one time or another, but these guys need to get the message the mountain can be very dangerous.

The question is what to do about it?, signs in car parks/ start of popular walks would be a good start, but we really need to educate people before they get to the mountains.

15. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

It does amaze me that folk seem to think that the Highlands are some sort of theme park, that there'll be cafes at the top of mountains where they can buy a coffee and a roll!
    I've always lugged a bergan with me even on small low ones, never regretted it as you never know what might happen when.
    I do think there is a place for charging those who require evacuation due to their own stupidity and under preparation.