Mountain Expedition Driving

john_singh

Old-Salt
Does anyone have any experience of high altitude expedition driving?
I need advice on vehicle preparation, tyres, engine, oils etc.
Preparation for breakdowns, self rescue, overnight survival.
If anyone can point me to some books that would help.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The Mongol Rally might be a good start, my nephew did that and learnt a great deal about preparation and extremses of temperature
what about going on a proper course to learn from other peoples mistakes ?

Join this Forum, I know a few people who have had massive amounts of excellent advice

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I rode over the Alps on a motorbike
it were right cold I can tell you
and me bike got all out of breath, cant remember the sums but so many feet above seal level you lose power and have to retard the ignition
but as my riding companion my younger better looking and wealthier brother decreed
you are retarded anyway so well prepared

Use a vehicle with a turbo charged engine , non turbo`s lose loads of power at altitude.

Can you adjust the boost to cope with altitude ? or does it run better at a fixed setting ?
Most turbo`s will run the same as they boost to what ever the set level is without adjustment , I am talking 90`s/00`s technology , new stuff may well be programmed to cope with any altitude however you`ll need a laptop to faultfind and fix them.

john_singh

Old-Salt
The Mongol Rally might be a good start, my nephew did that and learnt a great deal about preparation and extremses of temperature
what about going on a proper course to learn from other peoples mistakes ?

Join this Forum, I know a few people who have had massive amounts of excellent advice
Thanks for those links, The expeditionportal.com is great, have joined.
I saw a interview with Blashford-Snell Living Legends: Colonel John Blashford-Snell - Expedition Portal

Some good advice I have taken on board from that interview:

1/ “You’re being negative, and I don’t like negative officers.”
No negative cnuts allowed in my life.

2/ "In those days though, four-wheel drives were much simpler than they are now. You could do everything with a spanner."

3/ "In the end, everyone’s socks smell the same"

4/ "There were all these beautiful tits leaping around the floor, and actually, dancing with topless women is a bit off-putting. You can fling a woman around when she is fully dressed, but when she’s got nothing up top it’s kind of tricky.”

I have been doing it wrong for years. Will change tact now.

Latest Threads