Mouldy Barbour

I went to dig out the Barbour, as we are in to miserable winter raining season now, and could pretty much smell it before I saw it. It has become very mouldy and unpleasant. Can anyone recommend a method for getting rid of the mould please? Presumably I would have to treat it inside and out?

I have read of a few treatments, including vinegar but I would rather take a recommendation for a tried and trusted method.

As an aside, there is no Barbour stockist in HK so nowhere that I can get it re-waxed either, which it will definitely need if I can sort out the mould problem. I will be in the UK in May, how long would a dealer normally take to re-wax? I would only have about a week and will be in Dorset.

Thanks

Gaijin

Jet wash and Febreeze will improve it, re waxing is then preferable. Buy a tin of wax of t'internet.

I went to dig out the Barbour, as we are in to miserable winter raining season now, and could pretty much smell it before I saw it. It has become very mouldy and unpleasant. Can anyone recommend a method for getting rid of the mould please? Presumably I would have to treat it inside and out?

I have read of a few treatments, including vinegar but I would rather take a recommendation for a tried and trusted method.

As an aside, there is no Barbour stockist in HK so nowhere that I can get it re-waxed either, which it will definitely need if I can sort out the mould problem. I will be in the UK in May, how long would a dealer normally take to re-wax? I would only have about a week and will be in Dorset.

Thanks

Gaijin
Is there a Drizabone stockist in Honkers, same material?

udipur

LE
Book Reviewer
Personally, I'd wear it as is.

Might give you some space on the MTR on a Sunday.

Blogg

LE
Ah the Biohazard Barbour. Mark of the true aristocracy, especially if one of your Retrievers has used it to give birth on.

In a fit of parsimony/ being skint at the time, I tried cleaning a truly rank Barbour that a family idiot has got so wet and muddy that they stuffed it into a black plastic bag and then left in the back of a car for two weeks.

Hose followed by soaking in a biocide solution scored from a bloke who cleans up flood damage. Mucho serious drying then reproofing

End result? Another visit to the inside of a black bin liner.

I just stick mine in the washing machine, air dry, then on a hot day (to warm up the fabric), and with 'sloppy'wax, spend a couple of hours re-waxing it.

I don't know what Barbour are like nowadays, but many years ago I had a similar problem. The coat itself wasn't that old (couple of years) and it got sent off by the Barbour shop in Manchester to see what they could do.

Net result was a new coat for the cost of the 'service'. I'd send it to them if you can and see what they can do - I got the distinct impression they were more interested in happy customers spreading good news than screwing a few quid out of them.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I have an ancient wax jacket (not Barbour) that suffered the same mouldy problem after being stashed in my cold room for a few months.

I just put it through the washing machine and it was fine.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Milton baby bottle sterilsing fluid will do the job. Check it won't discolour on a test bit first though.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
One of mine discovered in a bag. It was minging. What’s worse it was a sort of padded lined job which didn’t help. Took it out the back and hosed it down, let it dry, no difference. Did that two or three times, well three. Seriously soaking inside and out with the hose. Let it dry outdoors your in no hurry.

Put it in the shower, hang it up on a coat hanger.Put it in a bin bag with bicarbonate of soda in it. It helped a bit. Let it sit, you can’t smell it in the bin bag. (Tape the top shut)

Got one of those plant spray bottles 50/50 water and dirt cheap vodka. Sprayed it and let it dry. Hit it again, let it dry. Keep doing this inside and out until you run out of vodka (half a bottle)
That should be it. Stick it out for another airing and bring it back in now mine smells faintly of one of Trufitt and Hills cologne when it warms up. (One of their sample bottles opened in an inside pocket)

If after the bicarbonate, the vodka didn’t work it was going into the bin.

ugly

LE
I buried Sassy my springer bitch in my Durham, it seemed a fitting end for both of them!

One of mine still had remnants of penguin shït on it when I started refurbing it... Jet wash (I scrubbed the lining with washing powder first) and re wax (Dubbin works well and is easier to work with). Hairdryer to help the absorption, rub down with a wet spaniel to restore the correct odour.

Buy a goretex jacket you pretend toff.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Themanwho Weapons, Equipment & Rations 13
supermatelot DIY 22
bigjimdangley Weapons, Equipment & Rations 6

Latest Threads