Moulded ear defence - any good?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Bravo_Bravo, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Got a date to be fitted with these; whats the Bobby? Good kit?

2. I personally like them and think they work well! Plus you get loads of spare sets so I used a pair with my Ipod headphones and they are awesome :)

3. They take a bit of getting used to (and the moulding process is not particularly pleasant) but I found them superb.

Also impress the sh*t out of civvies when you go shooting with them!!

4. Make sure your ears are clean when you go for the fitting - RACAL cannot do it if your ears are gungy...........

5. but whatever you do, do not use ear buds/keys/combi-tools/screwdrivers/granny's knitting needles. Yes, I've had people come through to get moulded after all of these, and many, many more.
    Personally I think the moulded ear defenders are great, once you get used to them.

6. My company is currently deployed, and the vast majority of pax have chinned them off. I personally didn't like them when I used them in th uk, and won't be using them out here.

7. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

I swear by the moulded ear defence. Absolutely swear by them. Stick them in and you could quite happily fire the GPMG or be near a very loud explosion and not have a drama with them.
    Top tip: Cut the black plastic cord off so all you have is the plastic plugs to fit in the ends of the ear defs themselves. The black cord just gets caught in your helmet or armour when you turn your head and can lead to the plugs being pulled out.

I loved them. Totally unnoticeable after a while. Though give them a sook before you try and fit them in your ears, helps them slide in easier.

8. To be honest they are quite good, a little getting used to and initially uncomfortable.

However as is typical with the Army they rushed out a brought the first thing sold to them.

On H10 we had something like 50 EFRs for these babies, not the impressions but the whole set up, never found out if or CQMS passed these concerns on though?

Several issues I had with it included the weight of the sound module you plugged the ear pieces into caused the plug to pull away from the ear allowing sound in to your ear, had ringing ears for a day after being on the range using them. if you put you finger on them and held them in place they where great however try with out and its not fun.

The system for supporting them around your ears didn't really work or help to take the weight on the sound module.

Also connecting them into your dual role PRR and then a bowman radio causes feed back which nearly blew my ear drum, a warning would be nice.

There are better products out there on the market for £560 and we could have just continued using our PRRs as normal :)

Good for IPOD though :)

Oh and things attached very close to you in the vehicles interfere with them :)

9. To back up Waitout's comments, good ear defense, sh!te when used with the PRR system but they may have changed the set-up now.

10. Loads of EDRs raised. Ear plugs fall out, ancillaries break too easily, massive howl and feedback when transmitting, incompatible with other items of equipment. Suffice to say, I didn't see too many people wearing them after a couple of weeks. Funnily enough, SF wear another system.

11. I'm sure they where all filed away under the to do pile, at a £1000 a pop just for fitting (the cost according to the fitting guys) I'm sure no one will rush to sort it unfortunatly

12. Nowadays I am a sport shooter and have been since I was in the air rifle club at school. Are you lot getting the fitted silicone ear plugs with the electronic doo dah's to reduce noise, or are you just getting the silicone part?

All the serious shooters I know, me included, use electronic ear defenders, normally made by Peltor and we wear foam plugs underneath. I have seen SF with Peltor comtac 2, its not a secret the info is out there in plenty of places. The Comtac 2 can be fitted with a mic and allows you to plug into a radio as well as use the ear pieces for shot noise reduction. A lot of boxhead units use this stuff also, Health and Safety with loud bangs around can't have the troops suing the Govt for loss of hearing.

Peltor Comtac II Headband Model Headset MT15H69FB09 FREE S&H MT15H69FB-09. Peltor Hearing Protection.

SF use sound suppresors also, I will not say which models, but for the interested look top of the range. IMHO every squaddie should have a suppresor fitted to his weapon at all times. They reduce, almost to the point of elimination, the need for ear def's which means you are not going to hear bells ringing for three days when someone fires off near you and you are not protected. They also allow you to lay down fire without directly giving away your position to the enemy. They, importantly, allow the clear hearing of shouted orders in a fire fight.

THEIRS:

YouTube - SureFire Suppressor video

13. Can't fit a bayonet with a suppressor to a rifle. Bayonets are an integral part of staying alive on tour.

14. That is, frankly, a design exercise...

Suppressors are the obvious way to go.

15. Sorry, I wish I knew but I don't.

But I do know that UKSF, USSF and DEU SF have suppresors more or less fitted as standard. I have seen ordinary boxhead squaddies wearing Peltor and I have seen US Navy SEAL's wearing the Peltor Comtac 2. Comtac 2 is more or less designed as under helmet wear to allow retention of head protection whilst allowing comms and ear protection.

To the practicalities of fitting bayonets over suppresors. That is a very, very, simple engineering design problem. The newer generation of suppresors are now very small, weigh around 12 ozs and don't so much screww on the front of the barrel they actually fit back over the barrel by a couple of inches before the attaching starts the idea is to keep the weapon as short as possible and to keep the centre of gravity back near the pistol grip.

Its another one of those. Mummy's have got to write letters to their MP and complain that her son needs a suppresor in Afgahnistan.