motto question

Discussion in 'RAC' started by littlegoat, Nov 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello y'all, possible RAC-related question that I hope someone can clear up-
    a recently deceased friend of the family has on his memorial
    "Lenit Victoria-Mortem". He was at the Normandy landings, and he served in a tank regiment we think. Can anyone shed light on what this motto m eans?
    thanks in advance!
  2. Not sure what "Lenit" means, but suspect it is along the lines of " ? conquers / overcomes death"
  3. 'Victory renders death gentle'

is the best I can make of it with schoolgirl Latin but I've emailed a proper scholar to ask.
  4. Literal translation is "Mildness Victory Death" but as we all know Latin is very rarely literal.
  5. All I can say with certainty is, that it would definitely not be The Royal Tank Regiment. "Fear Naught" is ours, none of your papist rubbish for us!

Probably some variety of 'also ran' armoured unit, cavalry, yeomanry etc
  6. Tu plumbeus vulgaris phallus

7. QED
  8. cheers all for the replies. I'll try and find out what his unit was. I think he drove Shermans, and he landed D+1 at Sword.
  9. The first two RAC Regiments ashore on D-Day were 4/7DG & 13/18, two of Yorkshires finest with DD Shermans (floatable-ish versions), and our motto was 'Quis Separabit' (4/7DG that is).

10. As in `Well, maybe with a crowbar`? :twisted: Or `Never leave your mates Behind`?

God what has this guy started? :D