ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

Motorway driving for learners

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Provost, Aug 13, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 14
    • Excellent Topic Excellent Topic x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  1. My instructor took me out several times at dusk into night.

Luckily for me, I had no trouble with the motorway - (I just thought it's a dual carriageway with an extra lane) and first drove on it a couple of days after my test.

It is a good idea though.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Perhaps they could drive with a thin blindfold to simulate night time conditions?

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Just drive them to Scotland. There's your motorway training. When the roads run out and it goes dark, you're in Scotland.

:)

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Like Like x 5
  4. Momba Womba

Momba Womba On ROPs

No.

Recent pass people - are they green R plates in UK? Or is that Ireland, I forget - should have a module to do before they are completely unrestricted.

The motorway is not the place for learners.

• Like Like x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  5. [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I wouldn't want a learner on their first lesson to drive on the motorway, but they would benefit more from an early introduction, before bad habits, complacency, or overconfidence creep in. As it stands, learners can drive on dual-carriageway A roads which have all the risks of motorways but with fewer safeguards.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Hopefully the instructors will take the time to point out the middle aged idiots driving in lanes 2, and sometimes 3 on the four lane stretches, who never change lane and point out that's how not to drive; but since I've passed at least one driving an AA motoring school car I'm sadly not convinced.

• Like Like x 8
  8. Or maybe this..[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 5
  9. [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. You may have a point. But what is the demographic most likely to be involved in a RTC?

11. The 'let me show you' option works well.
    Take a youngster along a motorway, all the time explaining what you are doing, and why you are doing it, and adding observations.
    Then let him have a go.

• Like Like x 2
  12. The driving test should change. It should require a requisite amount of hours, with a number of stages - night drive, skid car, basic car maintenance etc followed by minimum 2 hour test.

Then when they have passed, they should be limited in power, same as motorbikes.

• Like Like x 19
  13. I recall being on a driving course where whoever was in the driving seat was required to keep up a commentary. One guy (from a village somewhere deep in the sticks) had run out of things to say and started to tell us about the various crops in the adjoining fields

• Funny Funny x 14
    • Like Like x 2