Motorist uses excuse of "No speed limit signs" to do 98mph

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by flamingo, Mar 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't know if I'm missing the point, but regardless of what signs were there, lit or unlit, 98mph is over the speed-limit on any road in the country. I'm deliberately ignoring his occupation, this is not intended to plod-bash, more slippery-barrister-looking-for-loopholes bash.

2. Looks like he has a bright future ahead of him as an MP

3. Yep no excuses, police advanced driver or not he should know that the maximum speed limit on any road in this country is 70MPH and where not a dual carriageway or Motorway it is 60 MPH,so 98MPH is way over the top.

Judge should double the fine and quadruple the ban, after all that is what any member of the public would receive for the same offence.
  4. I have yet to see a sign saying you can't slap annoying neighbours, could I use this as a defence?

Mmm, I thought not!
  5. Having re-read the part where his barrister says "His knowledge of the speed limit isn't a relevant factor", I always thought that ignorance of the law was not a defence? Any legal eagles wish to correct me?
  6. Screw the twat and be done with it!! :evil:
  7. Only 98 MPH .....

......... lightweight!!
  8. Mr. Picky says there used to be a 100 limit sign on the test track at Barrowhills.

So, if his lawyers can present a convincing case that he thought he was going round the test track at Barrowhills, I say let him off.

All the best,

9. In the event of no speed limit being displayed, the limit, AIUI from the highway code, defaults to the national speed limit, which is 60mph on single carriageway, 70mph on dual carriageway unless in a built-up area with streetlights, in which case it would be 30mph regardless of the road type.
  10. We complain if they spend to long get prisoners in and getting back out on the street, we complain if he speeds so that he can get back out. The Man cant win.

Give him a medal for trying to save working hours
  11. The punishment should fit the crime. 6 points, £500 fine, attendance at a speed awareness course and transferred onto one of these for 12 months:

Obviously, if he needs to transfer prisoners, he should be allocated one of these:

12. I presume you are being sarcastic. :D
  13. And they wonder why the public has no confidence in them!
  14. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Right cos the members of ARRSE are all dutifully driving at the speed limits. Honestly if you could get away with it you would......
  15. But he didnt get away with it and now he is wasting the court's time and the public's money whinging when he knows he was way over, not a little bit over.

I bet his boss isnt impressed!