Motorhomes - pros and cons?

pros and cons

cons ..... a bit heavy on fuel

pros..... we left at 7 this morning , I was knackered by 3 , pulled into southwaite services , went to bed for an hour drove the rest of the way fine

@Boris_Johnson not read all the thread, apologies if it's been said before. We were undecided between a caravan or motorhome a good few years back. We plumped for a caravan after discussing different scenarios.
Once you arrive on site and set up, that's it until you decide to move on. You then use your car toing and froing as normal.

Slightly different with a motorhome. When you arrive on site every time you leave things have to be battened down. You go into town/supermarket and park up. The thieving gits see that as a big come and get me. There's a good chance of picking up TV/camera/PC/binoculars/money etc.
Should it break down and needs a few days to repair, accommodation and what to leave in it while it's in the garage has to be sorted.
Whatever you choose, enjoy. I'm sure you will.

As I have said before we went the static holiday home route .Find an area you really like and peruse the local sites . We had a static at Boat of Garten near Aviemore for 15 years and moved to the Moray coast in 2000 .It is a home from home just jump in the car and away you go but always make sure that if you buy a static make sure it is within a couple of hours from home or you will not use it at weekends .That does not matter if you are retired as I am now

You're keen stopping at Southwaite, it's well grotty! XD
it certainly is , and the caravan /camper area is tight to get in and out of but if you dont actually get out the van what does it matter

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
As I have said before we went the static holiday home route .Find an area you really like and peruse the local sites . We had a static at Boat of Garten near Aviemore for 15 years and moved to the Moray coast in 2000 .It is a home from home just jump in the car and away you go but always make sure that if you buy a static make sure it is within a couple of hours from home or you will not use it at weekends .That does not matter if you are retired as I am now

Currently for sale at a local site in Embo, 95k to 115k.

Plus site fees.

Grownup_Rafbrat

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There is probably an APP for THAT?
On the subject of apps for motorhomers there's a useful one which tells you which car parks you can get into without peeling the top off.

And we installed a truck satnav which you enter your dimensions into, so it doesn't send you down roads where you won't fit.

I try to use the New Zealand etiquette, and pull over to let the traffic queue pass when I can, but understand this is unusual in the UK.

Hubby waves to other motorhomers, who wave back. Unless they are in an A-Class.

Ours is a 4 berth with a fixed bed. I got fed up with trying to set up the bed after visiting the pub! Mostly the two of us and the dog use it, but one teenaged grandson often stays too.

We don't use the shower, because sites have showers, but having our own loo is handy. Bluntly we avoid using it for number 2s, and I avoid anything to do with the cassette.

It's a very sexist toy. He does water, gas, toilets, power and cleaning, whilst i do catering and cooking. Each to their own skills!

Night 8 in Anglesey walking the coast path. I am in my 2002 professionally converted Citroen van. 140,000 miles on the clock. Classed as a motorhome because it has a shower and a bog.
I try to get sites where I can walk the hell out of the area then move on.
I have worked out that it costs me £35-£40 per night. Fuel, tax, insurance, breakdown insurance and site fees.
We do the odd wild camp, but her in the van, prefers sites. We tend to do 40ish nights a year. The benefits of being old.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
I suspect that next year there will be a glut of motorhomes on the market when foreign travel resumes.

Bluntly we avoid using it for number 2s, and I avoid anything to do with the cassette.
as does the good lady Doris, happy to use the bog , never , ever , helped out emptying the cassette

TBH after you've done it a couple of times , it just becomes a routine job....no big deal

edited to add you have to empty every day if possible , it is amazing how heavy three days of pee and poop becomes

Last edited:
Night 8 in Anglesey walking the coast path. I am in my 2002 professionally converted Citroen van. 140,000 miles on the clock. Classed as a motorhome because it has a shower and a bog.
I try to get sites where I can walk the hell out of the area then move on.
I have worked out that it costs me £35-£40 per night. Fuel, tax, insurance, breakdown insurance and site fees.
We do the odd wild camp, but her in the van, prefers sites. We tend to do 40ish nights a year. The benefits of being old.
The most we managed in one year is a tad over 4 months. Over/under 3 is normal. As you say, the benefits of being retired.

I was suffering a Damascene moment about the van until last week
I have parted with the old, very comfortable reliable Frankia and bought a newer Knaus, bit more money , but due to the weight and my health it had to be done
since buying it 6 weeks ago a crankshaft seal , two camshaft seals ( which I elected to replace at the same time) , a new timing belt (it was oil saturated ) and adjusters etc.... that's the engine sorted
seepage from both traps under the shower (impossible to get to and the whole toilet needs to be removed to repair (they've been bodged field repaired )... I found three holes drilled in at the edge of the garage floor , throungh the plywood , to let the water out which are now treated and plugged (what utter inept c unt drill holes in the floor of a f ucking motorhome... (good news for you guys , he's retired and he no longer works at MVEE) , the fresh water pump , well it wasn't .... pumping very well , new one on the way , fridge not fridging on gas (turned out to be a 30 amp relay , dometic repair guy wanted a 60 squid call out fee , and they were selling l for about £12 ( cost £2.30 from ebay now working , and I have cleaned and serviced the burner and jet and cleaned the "chimney"... worste fault though , when we viewed it , very bright day I did the usual I went to the back and started to work forward , she went to the front and worked back, she saw the two cracks on the panoramic sunroof but though they were mouldings and had to be there , just before the tw@ pulled the blind to give us some shade, and I never opened it until half way home .....so massive lessons expensively learned we'll live with two lines up the double glazed part of that rooflight, and it didn't get too much condensation overnight so hey ho

I was chuntering about the van when my sister ( a seasoned moho traveler stopped over with us for a couple of days , and set me straight , 1. about me moaning about the lack of space( compared with the frankia, 2 any faults , are now rectified and I suppose an injection of common sense , when the frankis was new , it would have cost about £108k at todays prices , the Knaus, although a premium German brand) would be about £65k, so it was never going to be in the same league

she showed me her stowage on her panel van , (Morrello MURVI) we were stunned with the amount of kit she was carrying , all tidily stowed away in any space available leaving the van almost empty to live in , but she knew where everything was , every nook and cranny had stuff in it

I have now taken a slighty different view of the van , we have now re arranged most of the storage , and guess what , there is shit loads of space left
The proof of the pudding will be the first long trip down to Portugal in February, when the awning is fitted and we live in it for weeks, not a few days here and there ...still a chance I may punt it on
but I do like the increased MPG on this one 32mpg+ compared with the frankia , at 24 ish mpg, and she does cruise at 65MPH
time will tell, but i needed an independent person to actually point out the good bits , and not just the bad bits I have been finding....anyhoo, when all the bodges and repairs have been completed it should give decent serice

Latest Threads