Motorhomes - pros and cons?

new van this week , why not have a new crankshaft seal and two cam seals ,....and a cam belt as well

what do they say caveat emptor ........ bastard saw me coming

I fancy a hiring a motorhome & travelling across Australia....

I wonder how many hitchhikers I could murder before I ran out of petrol money ?

FHA

LE
Grand picture btw. and a very decent looking awning. All mossie netting?
Like beagle said, windcheater thingies that attach to the roll-out awning assembly. I found it a bit of a faff but my wife was always wanting the space to dump all the gear outside. The built in awnings can give excellent coverage but brown trousers when the wind picks up: the nets allow some wind to get through (purposely) but stop the canopy from billowing.
I also attached double absorption poles and storm tie-downs, proving it’s worth during a storm one time near Venice.

I liked this one though:

E1E1A48A-FA54-41FE-974B-FE7DE6D01108.jpeg

Fast erect (oo-er.)
Note I’ve got the towing eyelet fitted to the bumper. (This particular rally had a tractor handy because it was so muddy.)

But best of all was this:

0DE3D794-F47F-45C6-9683-883371881488.jpeg

Just pitch up at a CL (certificated location) for a mid-journey overnighter or two. (Admittedly I usually booked ahead.)
Some amazing little locations. That spot even had electrical hook-up!

Last edited:

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I saw the camper van of camper vans yesterday
A Bedford Truck
and no it was not Jarrod , as he never leaves his native Yorkshire in it, as he is is scared of getting the wheel trims nicked dahn sarf

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I saw the camper van of camper vans yesterday
A Bedford Truck
and no it was not Jarrod , as he never leaves his native Yorkshire in it, as he is is scared of getting the wheel trims nicked dahn sarf
He's more concerned about how long the pint of fuel he buys will last!

rifleair

War Hero
If you buy one, make sure you only ever drive at 40mph on all roads.
You say this as if its a bad thing, you will always have the open road ahead of you.

Just don't look in the mirror!

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Last weekend,

Pop down to the pub for a few ales and some food, and then wobble across the car park to bed. (Although to be fair, I wobble into the pub as well at the mo.) Easy life.

Or rock up (legally) in a field with your lass and a tree for company. This is doing me the world of good to be honest.

Motorhome Tally ho.jpg

Motorhome Old Ship Inn.jpg

Motorhome field and tree.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Last weekend,

Pop down to the pub for a few ales and some food, and then wobble across the car park to bed. (Although to be fair, I wobble into the pub as well at the mo.) Easy life.

Or rock up (legally) in a field with your lass and a tree for company. This is doing me the world of good to be honest.

View attachment 599874

View attachment 599875

View attachment 599877
Nice A class...........I still miss my old Hymer 544 A class...daughter summed it up, it's like driving a cinema seat, with the screen in front of you

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
@Boris_Johnson

No idea if you 'do' Facebook, but there some older, good nick motorhomes being sold there old boy.

fourteen2two

Old-Salt
We have done the hired motrhome route in Canada, quite big well equipped gas guzzler (Cruise Canada ) Then Australia twice. We used Trailfinders for down under, who are excellent, had Maui Sprinter based van conversion which was great. Also did the Indian Pacific train and Ghan train in 2015 and 2016 as retirement presents! Wife was born in New South Wales.
Here in UK we have a touring caravan . We are not pikeys!
It suits us, goes to Europe acouple of months a year and used in UK.
If we get tired of it we may go for a van conversion like the Aussie ones or get a smaller caravan and towcar.
Motorhomes are certainly popular but the biggies are a bit impractical in UK in my opinion.

Last edited:
ResizerImage6000X4000 camper.jpg

Saw this one at the weekend . No chance of losing it or it being stolen

Latest Threads