Motorhome advice

Never owned one, driven one or even slept in one but I have an emerging plan and wonder if anyone out there could give me some advice.

I am thinking of buggering off to the continent for a couple of months early next year. I'll have a bit of spare cash so was thinking of buying a motorhome in England, doing the buggering off thing then driving it back to NI and selling it. I'm told prices are much lower in England so mightn't lose too much on the deal. I'm too old for a transit van with a mattress - looking for some comfort - shower, shitter,heating, cooking etc.

I'd like to take my motorbike with me without investing in a feckin lift or having to buy something huge to take the weight at the rear - it's a serious enough touring bike. Can you get motorhomes with doors big enough to ride the thing into? Or is this whole scheme utter bollox?

There must be some ninjas out there. Any advice appreciated.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Your biggest problem is the motorbike as many motorhomes are made from vans. After conversion many have very little legal payload left.
You may get some that'll take a scooter otherwise I reckon you'd have to convert something

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Your biggest problem is the motorbike as many motorhomes are made from vans. After conversion many have very little legal payload left.
You may get some that'll take a scooter otherwise I reckon you'd have to convert something
Or stick the bike on a trailer

just the ticket, add a small scooter trailer plus it will blend well in nordiron...

marina.jpg

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Or stick the bike on a trailer
Then it'd come down on weight it can tow which probably isn't much, type of licence he has and type of trailer for travelling on the continent.
A lot of motorhome have quite small engines for the size of vehicle.
I have seen a converted welfare bus it did look shite though.

I want a motorhome or small campervan for when I go off on Archery tournaments, trouble is the CO is dead against it.

you could opt for one of them there coaches (assuming you know you need an HGV and you have the license ) that has been coverted for motor home use. living and workshop all in one. As you only have a bike and not a car you could easily increase the living area to include a dungeon to pass away any rainy days you might encounter

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
you could opt for one of them there coaches (assuming you the license) that has been coverted for motor home use. living and workshop all in one. As you only have a bike and not a car you could easily increase the living area to include a dungeon to pass away any rainy days you might encounter
He'd need a HGV licence if its a converted coach.

7 and a 1/2 tonne horsebox? Depending on how old he is? Got a ramp in the back for the bike.... plus full on living accomodation ~ maybe just too heavy on juice????

Try and get to any of these:

UK Spring Motorhome & Caravan Show
22nd – 24th March, 2013
Newark Showground, Nottinghamshire, NG24 2NY
Tel: 01775 723723

The Great Yorkshire Motorhome & Caravan Show
22nd – 24th March, 2013
Great Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate, HG2 8NZ
Tel: 01778 391123

Motorhome Show
April, 2013
Royal Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset
Tel: to be confirmed

National Motorhome Show
19th – 21st April, 2013
East of England Showground, Peterborough, PE2 6XE

Southern Motorcaravan Show
17th – 19th May, 2013
Newbury Showground, Chieveley, Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Midsummer Motorhome & Caravan Event
14th – 16th June, 2013
Westpoint Arena, Clyst St Mary, Exeter, EX5 1DJ

Motorhome Show
June, 2013
Stratford Racecourse, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 9SE
Tel: to be confirmed

UK Motorhome Summer Show
6th – 7th July, 2013
Shropshire & West Midlands Showground, Shrewsbury, SY1 2PF
Tel: 01775 723723

Northern Motorcaravan Show
19th – 21st July, 2013
Cheshire Showground, Tabley, Knutsford, WA16 0HJ

Western Motorhome Show
16th – 18th August, 2013
Three Counties Showground, Malvern, Worcs, WR13 6NW

Use a caravan my self but was stunned to see what can be done with motorhomes. most depends on the size of your base unit. Or get a caravan tow it with a converted van to fit the bike in. Just you or family as well? Loads of variations out ther.

Bugger - it's never as simple as it seems. I don't have HGV, so the Knight Rider suggestion, whilst hugely helpful (!) is a bit of a non starter. I'll give TMX a go - do I have to wear slightly grubby clothes when going to WH Smiths?

I would not advise on buying anything newish as the prices are extortionate, your master plan, a couple of months with a motorbike attached, check out Ebay, I have seen a few track day conversion vans that motorcycle racers use for weekends complete with shower cooker bed etc but with the advantage of putting the racing bike and tools etc in the rear, some quite low prices around £6,000 for a good one, obviously self converted.

No class C means you can drive upto 7500kg in UK, 3500Kg on the continent. If you've had you driving licence for more than a few years you'll automatically be entitled to B+E, so can tow anything upto 750Kg.

However, that's all just from memory and from a few years ago, so you might want to double check it.

If you've got 45k, the VW California looks good. However if you don't have that and you're pretty good with your hands, pick up a second hand VW van and fit it out to your desire. A nice little project and should anything go wrong on your travels you'd be in a better position to fix it.

Knaus do a wide range of motorhomes including something that will tick all your boxes. They are fairly rare secondhand in this country, we bought ours in Holland which was no bad thing as we were using it on the Continent. They are pricy but you shouldn't lose on resale.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Bubbles_Barker Travel 15
happybonzo Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 11
The13thDukeOfWybourne Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 4