Motorhome advice

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by LayKil, Mar 13, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Never owned one, driven one or even slept in one but I have an emerging plan and wonder if anyone out there could give me some advice.

I am thinking of buggering off to the continent for a couple of months early next year. I'll have a bit of spare cash so was thinking of buying a motorhome in England, doing the buggering off thing then driving it back to NI and selling it. I'm told prices are much lower in England so mightn't lose too much on the deal. I'm too old for a transit van with a mattress - looking for some comfort - shower, shitter,heating, cooking etc.

I'd like to take my motorbike with me without investing in a feckin lift or having to buy something huge to take the weight at the rear - it's a serious enough touring bike. Can you get motorhomes with doors big enough to ride the thing into? Or is this whole scheme utter bollox?

There must be some ninjas out there. Any advice appreciated.
  2. I'm after one of these bad boys...

Attached Files:

3. Your biggest problem is the motorbike as many motorhomes are made from vans. After conversion many have very little legal payload left.
    You may get some that'll take a scooter otherwise I reckon you'd have to convert something
  4. Or stick the bike on a trailer
    • Like Like x 1
  5. just the ticket, add a small scooter trailer plus it will blend well in nordiron...

6. Pick up a copy of the TMX (TRIAL & MOTORCROSS NEWS), plenty of proper camper bike/van conversions in the classified at the back.

Available from WH Smith's.
  7. Then it'd come down on weight it can tow which probably isn't much, type of licence he has and type of trailer for travelling on the continent.
    A lot of motorhome have quite small engines for the size of vehicle.
    I have seen a converted welfare bus it did look shite though.
  8. I want a motorhome or small campervan for when I go off on Archery tournaments, trouble is the CO is dead against it.
  9. you could opt for one of them there coaches (assuming you know you need an HGV and you have the license ) that has been coverted for motor home use. living and workshop all in one. As you only have a bike and not a car you could easily increase the living area to include a dungeon to pass away any rainy days you might encounter
  10. He'd need a HGV licence if its a converted coach.
  11. 7 and a 1/2 tonne horsebox? Depending on how old he is? Got a ramp in the back for the bike.... plus full on living accomodation ~ maybe just too heavy on juice????

• Like Like x 1
  12. Try and get to any of these:

UK Spring Motorhome & Caravan Show
    22nd – 24th March, 2013
    Newark Showground, Nottinghamshire, NG24 2NY
    Tel: 01775 723723

The Great Yorkshire Motorhome & Caravan Show
    22nd – 24th March, 2013
    Great Yorkshire Showground, Harrogate, HG2 8NZ
    Tel: 01778 391123

Motorhome Show
    April, 2013
    Royal Bath & West Showground, Shepton Mallet, Somerset
    Tel: to be confirmed

National Motorhome Show
    19th – 21st April, 2013
    East of England Showground, Peterborough, PE2 6XE

Southern Motorcaravan Show
    17th – 19th May, 2013
    Newbury Showground, Chieveley, Berkshire, RG18 9QZ

Midsummer Motorhome & Caravan Event
    14th – 16th June, 2013
    Westpoint Arena, Clyst St Mary, Exeter, EX5 1DJ

Motorhome Show
    June, 2013
    Stratford Racecourse, Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire, CV37 9SE
    Tel: to be confirmed

UK Motorhome Summer Show
    6th – 7th July, 2013
    Shropshire & West Midlands Showground, Shrewsbury, SY1 2PF
    Tel: 01775 723723

Northern Motorcaravan Show
    19th – 21st July, 2013
    Cheshire Showground, Tabley, Knutsford, WA16 0HJ

Western Motorhome Show
    16th – 18th August, 2013
    Three Counties Showground, Malvern, Worcs, WR13 6NW

Use a caravan my self but was stunned to see what can be done with motorhomes. most depends on the size of your base unit. Or get a caravan tow it with a converted van to fit the bike in. Just you or family as well? Loads of variations out ther.
  13. Bugger - it's never as simple as it seems. I don't have HGV, so the Knight Rider suggestion, whilst hugely helpful (!) is a bit of a non starter. I'll give TMX a go - do I have to wear slightly grubby clothes when going to WH Smiths?
  14. Something like that'd do, might smell a bit horsey for a bit.