Motorcycle Service Intervals

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by Blarney_Stone, Oct 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just wondering if anyone else thinks that motorcycle service intervals are pathetically short? I ride a (don't laugh) Honda Goldwing. This bike is supposedly designed for touring yet the service intervals are every 4000 miles. As I do about 20000 a year, this gets to be a real pain in the arrse. Are the manufacturers trying to see us off here?
  2. Cant speak for owning a Goldwing, I have a Kawasaki ZX12R and wouldn't dream of waiting until 4000 miles had past without at least an oil change and a serious once over.
    The machine is doing way to much for its comparatively small engine size (180 odd BHP from a 1.2 litre, compare that to a high performance car) to expect it not to munch service parts and fluids.
    The oil gets some fearsome abuse in a short period of time/miles
  3. I would imagine (and I am not a VM expert type) that this is for a number of reasons of which I would include motorbikes are chain drive vehicles which require checking more regularly and that if something goes wrong its not like you come to a slow stop, as you do in a car, it can be disastrous. My advice is do the small services yourself and only get the major one done by a garage.

4. I used to do 80k plus a year on bikes. Part of the problem is bikes average arouns 1-2k a year normally so service intervals and the like are designed around that added to extra risk should parts fail. I found that after I just inspected the bike I could extend the intervals but I always changed the oil. By the way my XJ900 at the time had the valaves check every 4k along with oil. After the first 20K I gave up as they didnt move! I thin the high miles and long motorway miles meant things didn't wear out. I found with BMW and Honda that there were "Governament use" service items for Police bikes etc, half as much service time. By the way the XJ did 225K before the frame gave out.
  5. My Triumph Daytona and Triumph Tiger are 6,000 mile intervals. Major service (valves, fluids etc) every two years. Which aint cheap either.

The earlier models were 4,000 mile intervals

I put money aside for bike servicing every payday for MOTs etc.... Reduces the sting a bit.
  6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Start by checking what is actually done at each type of service - if it is just oil and a visual once over and a couple of torque checks then DIY.
    You should be able to get a proper workshop manual off Ebay to guide you through most things.
    For reference, I have looked after 2 Ducatis for the last 10 years, currently one air cooled, one water - both have 10,000km official service intervals. In between on the road bikes I drop the oil ever 3-5,000km and change cam belts every 5,000km (a big deal if one fails on a Duc). The service then only hits me for valve spacing which is too much trouble to do myself.
    Find out what your bikes weak areas are and make your own choices - including whether you should get a different bike!
  7. Yes indeed, I do do my own servicing, it's just a pain coming around so frequently. A chum has just told me that the Triumph Rocket III has a 10000 mile service interval, now that's more like it 8)
  8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I guess what you save in servicing you will spend on fuel!! :wink: