Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motorcycle security advice.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
incidentally, when I added up the damage to the windows, ( not easy to claim on insurance as happened at different times so I paid)
damage to motorcycle car bonnet etc it was around 2 grand out of my fekin pocket
no holidays for 2 years

I know a few younger bikers, the odd moped rider who mention Ace Cafe Friday nights on the kerb, brass verge opposite the venue is still the hot bed of Muppets and idiots.

Also, the area well known for crimnal gangs are:

South London, Croydon, Stretham, Catford, Woolwich, Deptford & of course Lewisham.

North London, Kilburn, Islington, Hackney % Walthamstow.

East London, Stratford, Wanstead, Forest gate, Barkingside & Ilford.

West London, Hounslow, Greenford & Brent area.

I'm not a Facebook user however I'm am aware of the group's on there, I tend to see updates of bike thefts and other criminal element activities reported via the individual bike forums.

Does anyone know if there's an app with centralised reports and details? Do the Police have a system in place outside FB etc that collate this type of activity? I know it's a long shot but surely one of the current apps could incorporate this too.

Sent from my SM-T555 using Tapatalk

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer
A lot of this advice also applies to cycles. A good quality cycle lock or two is essential these days in the UK, less so here in Ottawa.

The most important thing I learnt was chaining to a wall anchor is not always the best. In a apartment building I lived in had wall anchors to breeze blocks. Some scrote came in and milled around the breeze block (using a drill and drill bit) and then knocked them out - police caught them (CCTV recorded the escape) with a Transit full of bikes still attached to the wall anchors for later freeing.

I never used to bother locking up my BMW in the UK when out and about as I used to park it in high viz areas. At home locked in the garage with a secondary lock on the garage door.

My mate was the county's class 1 police bike instructor and also used to test bikes for the Home Office/police so he used to bring his work home with him. He had a retractable bollard (lift in and out manually) put in the ground in front of his garage door which when in place was about 3 inches from the door. Inside the garage he variously had a huge eyelet thing and chain and later one of those bike stand things they use on the chunnel trains.

Luckily here in the US in most respectable places nothing gets nicked - I even see cars left in the supermarket car park with engines running to operate the AC and keep the car cool whilst the owner is shopping.

Mate has his bike parked I set his deck. Ground anchored front and rear, under a cover as well. Very very tight under there and he has empty wd40 tins balanced precariously that make a racket if hit off.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I never used to bother locking up my BMW in the UK when out and about as I used to park it in high viz areas. At home locked in the garage with a secondary lock on the garage door.

My mate was the county's class 1 police bike instructor and also used to test bikes for the Home Office/police so he used to bring his work home with him. He had a retractable bollard (lift in and out manually) put in the ground in front of his garage door which when in place was about 3 inches from the door. Inside the garage he variously had a huge eyelet thing and chain and later one of those bike stand things they use on the chunnel trains.

Luckily here in the US in most respectable places nothing gets nicked - I even see cars left in the supermarket car park with engines running to operate the AC and keep the car cool whilst the owner is shopping.
aha , but you have a useful deterrent handy ?

Last edited:
aha , but you have a useful deterrent handy ?

Personally: No. Whilst I [over] indulge as a hobby I would not consider the potential bother of carrying to be worthwhile. Just keep your eye's open and be aware of your situation, surroundings and environment. I hear all the stories and have never been involved in, or seen anything in 9 years.

Those who do have the deterrent on them are, from observation, generally to fat to run out of the supermarket/shop quickly enough to make a difference anyway.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
My brother has just purchased a 2 year old low mileage Kawasaki versys, with all the extras ( somebody lost a fortune)
I have told him to fit a tracking device to it
oddly I see reports that 5 of them have gone walkabout this week ?
perhaps the scum have a shopping list to clone write offs ?

Personally: No. Whilst I [over] indulge as a hobby I would not consider the potential bother of carrying to be worthwhile. Just keep your eye's open and be aware of your situation, surroundings and environment. I hear all the stories and have never been involved in, or seen anything in 9 years.

Those who do have the deterrent on them are, from observation, generally to fat to run out of the supermarket/shop quickly enough to make a difference anyway.
On an American bike forum that I use, there was a question about carrying on the bike. Only one person did and he hadn't thought about what would happen if he came off the bike with a lump of metal attached to him.
I asked if anyone had needed to use their weapon as carrying is of course quite alien to us in the UK. The answer was that of 30 or so people of various backgrounds and ages only one had pulled a gun, he was a truck driver who thought, wrongly, that someone was trying to break into his truck.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
The thieving scum are getting out of hand, I hear that some of them boast on instagram about their deeds, and that a group of motorcyclists in the south west have names and addresses of the scum
I m thinking it might be a good idea to invest in a tracker for my car and my motorcycle
although I never leave keys lying about like most people, and my bike is always locked in the garage, just that one occasion when you leave it for 2 minutes might be the time they visit
I have been looking at trackers any ideas about these
( I know nothing about the technology involved)

GPS GPRS GSM Car Tracker

Top four motorcycle GPS Trackers | MCN

Top 10 Motorcycle Tracking Devices Reviewed in 2018

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Mine is now fitted with a tracking device recommended by one of my contacts with odd socks
it can be monitored on the PC and records routes for 3 months on the website
I had to buy a smartphone though, as my wife said if it snicked its better to have a phone handy that can follow the machine and locate it
took my most of the day to install, but its effectively part of the motorcycle now

Not read all the posts but do remember a biker from the North East , Ashington way back telling me what he and many others did then.

Up there a lot of houses were mining homes, two up , two down with a back yard.

Think of a brick pen 15 by 15.

They would park their bike in the " back yard" ie brick pen. Front wheel next to the back door.

Then tie behind the bike old fashioned milk bottles one on each side of the wall with very fine fishing line. Some might've had two different types of chemical in them?

Even water with some petrol in.

Scrotes would , very quietly climb over the wall at the back or break in through the back door of the back yard.

Like ninjas , approach the bike but Oh dear the bottles fall.

End game was a load crash of bottles on the floor or the same with the stink of petrol .

Scrotes run away.

Well they did back then. now they would probably gut you alive.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I used to keep my car in an old stable block on the edge of town
I found the locks had been tampered with, as this was before mobile phone technology I decided to install a man trap
I fitted a hinge to a length of timber, about the size of an ironing board, hinged it from a bit of 2x4 screwed horizontally across a ceiling truss , then fitted a simple latch operated by some sash cord through a pulley, and connected this via a snap clip to an eye bolt on the right hand door
on the back of the timber was screwed a biscuit tin full of bits of sash weight and gaffa taped shut
the plan being that if crim opened the door and walked in, the arm would swing down and smote them a mighty blow
I just had to remember to open the door gently and release the snap clip
as I did for many months without problem

I went round on my motorbike one day to get something out of the car, luckily i kept my helmet on, as I swung the door open I realised, but to late!!
it knocked me backwards and bust the peak of the skid lid and cracked the rim, by christ it hurt
nobody ever did break into the garage much to my dismay

Latest Threads