Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Motorcycle security advice.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I
Ditto. I had a ground anchor sunk, behind a locked gate, out of sight from the road. And that was only for a BMW R1200RT.

When I had had a GSXR600 I’d leave it on display, in the hope that someone would have it away, knowing that I’d get the insurance and the baddie would be easily tracked down by identifying regular visits to a local chiropractor.
I rode my mates Tasty Ducati across the big smoke for him, I had to be eased off, how he rides it every day I know not well I say across, 3 miles and I gave up and took the beezer,
it was bad enough going pillion across the city, its like sitting on a sanitary towel glued to a girder

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Have an extra spark plug in the petrol tank airspace and connect an HT lead to it when leaving your bike unattended.
my bike is Efi and Electronic ignition
it wouldn't start
nees the fumes from the exhaust to calibrate something or the other, and the tanks plastic

gripper rods nailed to the inside edge of a fence post and gates, not sure wether its legal but I did it

No comment from a Cop perspective, other than you clearly are deterring grey squirrels by such measures.

An ex neighbour (Rhodesian SF) was very forgetful and left pieces of 4x2 with 6” nails facing upwards around his fences. Careless. He didn’t get many intruders jumping over his fence a second time.

As he explained to local Police, he was a DIY enthusiast. Some subtle advice was delivered regarding legality - but being in his ‘80s he really couldn’t care.

My neighbor has an R1 (screamer). Last year some scrotes nabbed it overnight, he found it several days later with some damage where they smashed the disc lock off. Fortunately (for them) they didn't manage to start it, if they had I suspect that they would have ended up as a sticky mess somewhere.

I always keep old keys in suitable bunches where they they can be easily found, the important ones that fit things are kept safe.

2ndpreimage

Old-Salt
I have a loop of paracord around my key which I loop around the frame when riding. I read increasingly that crims will do a key-grab when you are stopped at lights, if you have to leave the bike to sort it out they will return and ride it away.

Have done same with a coiled sheathed steel wire clipped to my rucksack.

quick shot

Attachments

• key cord.jpg
    key cord.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 90
I just park my car up as close to my garage gates a possible and keep them locked and the bikes away as soon as I get in. Everyone at work has been worried about bike jacking recently after a YouTube clip at the top of the road showed someone getting looked over,how often it happens is anyone’s guess I guess you’ve just gotta be on your toes at traffic lights.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I just park my car up as close to my garage gates a possible and keep them locked and the bikes away as soon as I get in. Everyone at work has been worried about bike jacking recently after a YouTube clip at the top of the road showed someone getting looked over,how often it happens is anyone’s guess I guess you’ve just gotta be on your toes at traffic lights.
the one thing i have noticed is they cant ride for toffee, my London mate says a good blast to about 50, let them catch up then slam everything on hard, they usually go down, hes a bit tasty on 2 wheels and has plenty of track time, used to dispatch as well

the one thing i have noticed is they cant ride for toffee, my London mate says a good blast to about 50, let them catch up then slam everything on hard, they usually go down, hes a bit tasty on 2 wheels and has plenty of track time, used to dispatch as well
Some perhaps but the pair I followed up the A40 from the hoover building were filtering at a fair old lick and made sure they tapped a police cars wing mirrors on the way.Not sure if it was skill or just total disregard.

Stavanger

Old-Salt
Thanks for the post/s, some great advice and reminders, esp the point about locking and immobilising the rear wheel, not always the obvious choice
Cheers

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Some perhaps but the pair I followed up the A40 from the hoover building were filtering at a fair old lick and made sure they tapped a police cars wing mirrors on the way.Not sure if it was skill or just total disregard.
They just dont care
last time I was in the smoke filling my guzzi up , I spotted a pair of them, pretending to be using the air line, they were talking non stop through earpieces, 4 scoots in all surrounded us
My Nephew didnt spot it coming, I sent him to pay for both of us, and kept the pump nozzle handy, no qualms about spraying petrol over them
he came back and grabbed an extinguisher and being 6 foot they buzzed off

2 years back in Lewisham a kid wearing a hoodie under a helmet overtook me with inches to spare on the inside, I saw him in the mirror, I was doing about 25 in traffic I reckon he was doing 40
I guessed it was a stunt as I had seen another one a few seconds before with him , I moved in to the kerb at the last minute fully expecting a crash, lord knows how he avoided me, his faring clanged on the kerb and he weaved all over the place, his mate overtook, and I was expecting them to try again, as I turned right into the South Circular I stopped worrying, the Burgman was on its side and Leroy was being red dotted, his mate had also come to a stop on the pavement
I think it was trident as they had a Porsche Cayenne and were tooled up
I did laugh, but it made me very wary and I keep my eyes on the traffic in London and dont like peds getting near me, this was about 3 pm
I was loaded up for Dover

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Years ago, a mate who was handy with tools welded a bracket to his centre stand on his old R80 you fitted a lock into it, and no way could the bike be moved

when I leave my guzzi stored up, its connected to a charger, but I lift the seat and invert the bank angle sensor
its a tilt switch to cut the fuel pump if the bike falls over
takes 1 minute to do
and if the bike was pushed away it would take them a long while to sus out why the pump would not run
I often do that if I am leaving it someplace when touring and it looks a bit risky, although to be fair its never been touched
but then its an ugly old Guzzi and its reputation precedes it

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Other deterrent's

There are normally two reasons that your machine has been stolen. The first being that they want it sell on as parts or complete and the second is they just need a machine to enable crims to go on and perform some other criminal activity that require a bike.....and yours was just it.

What really helps police in locating and tracking the machine and is quite good at deterring the bike being stolen for sale is to make your bike unique. Make it your bike.

I know some people regard it as heresy to alter a gleaming new bike in any way, and i know that a new standard R1 looks awesome, as well as it being just down right stupid to start messing around with any bike classed as a classic and needing to be kept in as original condition as possible to retain its money.

This is mostly for those riders who keep machines for a long time or are not bothered in keeping it original to show off/resale etc.

Make it unique to you

1) If the bike has a non-standard paint scheme or is a limited edition, take photos of the bike from multiple angles and have a reference of it that you could hand to police if its taken. A stolen bike report would normally be sent out on the registration plate, make and main colour....your limited edition could be a totally different colour than recorded on the system.

2) Aftermarket parts fitted to bike, its a fine line this one between making your bike more attractive to steal or less likely to be stolen if you have numerous aftermarket parts on it. I would suggest we are all intelligent enough to realise that a full titanium exhaust system and ohlins suspension make it shiny to steal to a thief that knows what he is looking at. But a bike with different rear sets and hangers, non-standard screen, various bolt-ons, additional electrics etc...make the bike more identifiable.

More identifiable in the short term. ie. If we stop or find your bike in the very near future, it makes it pretty damn sure it is your bike with these parts on, even to a quick glance, even with different plates. If the crims get it to a quite location and strip it, its not much use.

Record and photograph your aftermarket parts. If speaking to police, understand that not all are motorcyclist and descriptions like rear sets and headstock plates will make no sense to them.

3) Stickers and damage. If you have obvious damage to the bike, this is almost as good as store bought security marking system as it deters thieves if they want a shiny undamaged bike and it makes your bike identifiable if the plates and colour are changed. Make a note and photo any damage unique to your bike, I would suggest that bog standard scrapes and cracks that we all get are useful but bear in mind, hundreds of people drop their bikes like yours. Damage taken to the extreme is along the line of people running nice bikes, but refitting their fairings and other parts with ( obviously ) cheap, poorly painted parts that give the illusion the bike is post crashed. this does work.

Put stickers on your bike. It makes it more identifiable in the short term, if its spotted being ridden or parked up.Again note and take photos of your bike.

4) Make a note of every thing that may be of use to police. Do not swamp them with information, but have it to hand if you asked for it, or offer it if you believe it is really important.

Pannier racks. ( colours, type etc )
Panniers.
extra lights.
crashbars
Tyres fitted
mileage
record chassis and engine number AND ITS LOCATION. ( not all police are bikers )
anodised bolts
K&N filters etc
seats, rips and tears.

Or just do what I do and never wash your BMW and leave it covered in harry black, travel stickers, rust from it sliding down the road on its crashbars a few times and a stinking sheepskin rug on its seat with a perfect outline of my nuts in all the road dust and muck on it.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
Other deterrent's

There are normally two reasons that your machine has been stolen. The first being that they want it sell on as parts or complete and the second is they just need a machine to enable crims to go on and perform some other criminal activity that require a bike.....and yours was just it.

What really helps police in locating and tracking the machine and is quite good at deterring the bike being stolen for sale is to make your bike unique. Make it your bike.

I know some people regard it as heresy to alter a gleaming new bike in any way, and i know that a new standard R1 looks awesome, as well as it being just down right stupid to start messing around with any bike classed as a classic and needing to be kept in as original condition as possible to retain its money.

This is mostly for those riders who keep machines for a long time or are not bothered in keeping it original to show off/resale etc.

Make it unique to you

1) If the bike has a non-standard paint scheme or is a limited edition, take photos of the bike from multiple angles and have a reference of it that you could hand to police if its taken. A stolen bike report would normally be sent out on the registration plate, make and main colour....your limited edition could be a totally different colour than recorded on the system.

2) Aftermarket parts fitted to bike, its a fine line this one between making your bike more attractive to steal or less likely to be stolen if you have numerous aftermarket parts on it. I would suggest we are all intelligent enough to realise that a full titanium exhaust system and ohlins suspension make it shiny to steal to a thief that knows what he is looking at. But a bike with different rear sets and hangers, non-standard screen, various bolt-ons, additional electrics etc...make the bike more identifiable.

More identifiable in the short term. ie. If we stop or find your bike in the very near future, it makes it pretty damn sure it is your bike with these parts on, even to a quick glance, even with different plates. If the crims get it to a quite location and strip it, its not much use.

Record and photograph your aftermarket parts. If speaking to police, understand that not all are motorcyclist and descriptions like rear sets and headstock plates will make no sense to them.

3) Stickers and damage. If you have obvious damage to the bike, this is almost as good as store bought security marking system as it deters thieves if they want a shiny undamaged bike and it makes your bike identifiable if the plates and colour are changed. Make a note and photo any damage unique to your bike, I would suggest that bog standard scrapes and cracks that we all get are useful but bear in mind, hundreds of people drop their bikes like yours. Damage taken to the extreme is along the line of people running nice bikes, but refitting their fairings and other parts with ( obviously ) cheap, poorly painted parts that give the illusion the bike is post crashed. this does work.

Put stickers on your bike. It makes it more identifiable in the short term, if its spotted being ridden or parked up.Again note and take photos of your bike.

4) Make a note of every thing that may be of use to police. Do not swamp them with information, but have it to hand if you asked for it, or offer it if you believe it is really important.

Pannier racks. ( colours, type etc )
Panniers.
extra lights.
crashbars
Tyres fitted
mileage
record chassis and engine number AND ITS LOCATION. ( not all police are bikers )
anodised bolts
K&N filters etc
seats, rips and tears.

Or just do what I do and never wash your BMW and leave it covered in harry black, travel stickers, rust from it sliding down the road on its crashbars a few times and a stinking sheepskin rug on its seat with a perfect outline of my nuts in all the road dust and muck on it.

I have high
008.JPG
009.JPG
011 (2).JPG
res photos of mine and all accesories
plus when it was dismantled for an over haul i used my engraving tool to put the reg number everywhere, so even if its got a false plate I can spot it, also having owned it so long a few subtle alterations mark it as mine
plus its datagged

BaldBaBoon

War Hero
Know your enemy

It was explained a long time ago, when these incidents of moped enabled crimes and ever increasing thefts first reared their head, that this was not a minor problem, this was not little scamps out doing wheelies, the people who needed to know, were alerted to how serious this would be in very short order.

Ignorance cannot be used as a defence here.

Lower tier crims, normally mopeds.

It starts off with your youngsters, who in my experience are already well known to police for being arrested and investigated multiple times for robberies and thefts etc, They have now discovered that mopeds provide a quick means of getting into and out of an area, and if they are stolen, the moped can be dumped without problem. The moped can also be used as currency when dealing with your next tier of criminal and provides a tradeable resource for attaining other items for profit or to pay off debts. A Vespa, new, and normally not locked up is worth upwards of £6000 from a dealership.

They tend to wear flip up helmets such as the ROOF type, and will wear either balaclavas or face masks beneath these,
They will be wearing gloves, normally the cheaper armoured moped or bike gloves.
Clothing tends to be the standard clothing for people of this ilk.Tracksuit bottoms and trainers, jackets,normally puffa jackets or similar and a tendency to carry man bags.
They tend to wear multiple tracksuit bottoms to enable them to carry items hidden and also so they can dump an outer layer and change their clothing apearence.

Do make note of what helmets they are wearing, type and colour and distinguishing marks.
Do make a note of what they are wearing ( this may be discarded )
Do make note of their build, sex and ethnicity if possible
Do make note of any bags carried.

These moped riders actually stand out like a sore thumb once you know what to look out for.

They will normally be riding around two up, and normally a small group of them. The bikes will be on L-Plates or the riders will obviously be teenagers.....either way, L-Plates and Youngsters cannot carry pillions.

They tend to wear clothing that makes them stand out as it will not be moped or bike clothing, just a mob of teenagers wearing helmet and gloves over tracksuits etc. Make a note of any bike gear worn if not the case.

The bikes tend to be Peugeot Speedfights, Yamaha T-max or similar, enough power to enable them to push another machine down the road and to have speed to escape. Registration plates will either be stolen ( inform police if this happens to you )false plates or no plates. False plates can be hanging off or " just not looking right "

These little darlings will have areas to recce and will be riding down side streets or main roads and be paying great attention to houses, cars and where bikes are parked....if you see this, you may want to tell the neighbours and up your security. They will also do the opportunistic car window smashes if they can.

Also they are the ones who do the mobile and bag snatches, you see them watching the pedestrians and they may do a couple of swoops or drivebys before they leap......these are going to use any means to escape, including kicking the legs out from a 3 year old child last week to cause the police to stop and perform medical assistance so they can escape .

If it does not feel right, then you are probably correct

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
we had a similar problem in our area some years back
8 to 14 year old from the local council estate start marking their territory
kicking walls down, graffiti damaging cars, throwing stones at windows ( 7 windows cracked in my place, car bonnet keyed, fence kicked in)
then you hear them at night making noises like animals
eventually I got so fed up ringing the police and them running away that I decided to stalk them and learn their patterns

I wore dark clothing, took a ski mask in case and a 6 cell maglite torch, plus zip ties and a pocket knife ( to disable motor vehicles) and mobile phone
also a roll of black electrical tape to mask PIRs in some front gardens, that way I could follow them by using gardens and getting up close enough to hear everything
after a while I noticed a pattern, the same route, from one council estate to another taking in our road two small estates and a very very expensive private estate that had a footpath through to the shit estate
I soon learnt names and address, although the police advised against it they could not stop me
I followed them into Battledown one evening an private estate where houses start at 3 million
many of the properties are empty during the week
I watched as they broke through a fence and smashed up everything around a pool including security lights, neighbours wont hear due to the amount of foliage and 1 acre gardens
after a few weeks I wrote an open letter to the community and created a new email address, and a new mobile phone number pAYG
from memory it said , we having been having problems with yobs and the police do not always get to hear about them
can you email me or ring me and give me your information and I will compile it and present it
also that I understand many of you are loath to call the police for fear of repercussions from these yobs
I got my employers to print me off 500 copies, and over 5 nights myself my wife and 2 friends put one on every house in the area
a few times the yobs passed us but we just kept quite and they didnt see us ( not through fear just didnt want them knowing)
that bloody phone never stopped ringing and the inbox filled up
I compiled a long list and forward it to the police, and I also did my bit for my community by making one of their escape routes untenable
one of the people who rang was an elderly man and he had witnessed they yobs running through his private flats, jumping on the bins and over the wall, into the pub garden over the back, this gave them a route back to the council estate
thats why the Police could never catch them
I nailed gripper rods all along the fences at my own expense, and moved the bins away and arranged locks to keep them there

oddly I then got a call from some one in the expensive estate, telling me he had come home to his holiday place to find it trashed, I was able to tell him the exact date and the youths involved as I had kept a dairy and given that to the police
its funny that when powerful people get hassled, they get straight on to the top cop, and I got a new number to ring
next time they kicked off, I waited until they were well into it and called the private mobile number
they all got collared every one of them
cycle theft, moped theft, criminal damage etc stopped overnight
it cost me a few weeks work and some money but was worth it to nip it int he bud, however every 5 years or so the next generation of council estate yobs start the same game, these days high tech cameras coupled to email soon stop that
the main problems I see are that people are afraid of them, and dont stop it quick enough, then the kids rule the patch
having had 1 expensive car stolen, although I chased them off with an axe and they hit the street light so writing it off ( 5 youths with ski masks) one small scooter, my R80RT minus rear wheel luckily , my mates scooter, and 3 bicycles, plus property stolen, I am not about to be kind or sensitive towards people that do not work and think we are their to provide them with entertainment and cash

it starts off small and if not curbed will get bigger
one lad whose house back onto ours started out nicking cycles, then motorcycles, then cars, and I made it my mission to hassle him, i recovered one car and returned it back to its owner, and told him who nicked it, he sorted that out !
the same kid had firearms stored in his dads shed ( first we knew cops knocking on the door wanting access) last thing the twat did was to steal a car and hit another car head on in Shurdington, badly injuring a middle aged couple
Arron survived just
I had warned his father that unless he was firm with the lad he would most likely end up looking at his body on the mortuary table, its sad as his father is an OK chap and didnt deserve that after he had been ill for some time
I still see Arron and his brother around, they tend to avoid me now, one of them has a child and has to work for a living, he is slightly vision impaired and brain damaged after the accident, and I hope he stays out of trouble

Last edited:

Latest Threads